Summer O-Chem Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm B

HansomWare
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw there were similar topics, but I didn't see one that answered this specific question.

I spoke to my advisor yesterday and she indicated that I could take Organic Chem I and II over the summer (summer session I & II, 6 weeks a piece).

Is this doable? As far as the MCAT goes, I figured I'd be using an MCAT book during the course to make sure I sharped up on what's important on the test. Is that the best move?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw there were similar topics, but I didn't see one that answered this specific question.

I spoke to my advisor yesterday and she indicated that I could take Organic Chem I and II over the summer (summer session I & II, 6 weeks a piece).

Is this doable? As far as the MCAT goes, I figured I'd be using an MCAT book during the course to make sure I sharped up on what's important on the test. Is that the best move?
I think that summer orgo is the best thing since sliced bread. I took it at my university and was very impressed by the course and the instructor. We covered ALL the material in the regular ochem in the regular year but I didn't have to waste a whole year. It also preped me for the MCAT really well because I was living/breathing ochem for 8 weeks. Ended up getting a 12 on the bio section.

I think that summer orgo is the best thing since sliced bread. I took it at my university and was very impressed by the course and the instructor. We covered ALL the material in the regular ochem in the regular year but I didn't have to waste a whole year. It also preped me for the MCAT really well because I was living/breathing ochem for 8 weeks. Ended up getting a 12 on the bio section.
Summer orgo is good. I did both in 1 summer. Learned the same stuff as the regular semester kids, but I thought the grading was a little easier (I got A+'s in both). Also got 12 on bio. It was chill though. No school I've interviewed with has said anything about it either. I doubt it's viewed negatively by AdComs.

Members don't see this ad :)
its a good idea but only if its the ONLY thing you do that summer.

I taught o-chem over the summer as a TA at UC Berkeley. We had students from all over the country. I don't think it's the best decision. Instructors cut out a lot of material. You wouldn't be covering as much as those who took it during a regular semester term. It's a lot of material to cover in 6 weeks. O-chem II involves a lot of memorization. My students couldn't handle it and they had 8 weeks.

What do you think about this... If I take O-Chem I and II at a local community college over the summer (so I can complete the pre-req to get into biochem)