summer ochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sTriVe2sTitCh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i took both sections of ochem this past summer (before jr. year), and i was just wondering if that would be looked down upon, maybe referred to as "easier." My school is on the quarter system, and each session of summer ran through a quarter's worth of material in 5 weeks. I received an A in the first session (even though I accidentally slept through the first midterm due to studying late) and an A+ in the second session, being ranked 2nd in a class of over 60 students. The professor is also going to be writing one of my LORs. Anyways, just wondering how this will be viewed. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i took both sections of ochem this past summer (before jr. year), and i was just wondering if that would be looked down upon, maybe referred to as "easier." My school is on the quarter system, and each session of summer ran through a quarter's worth of material in 5 weeks. I received an A in the first session (even though I accidentally slept through the first midterm due to studying late) and an A+ in the second session, being ranked 2nd in a class of over 60 students. The professor is also going to be writing one of my LORs. Anyways, just wondering how this will be viewed. thanks!

dude dont worry about it.....and A is an A whenever you took it...

Ochem is tough no matter how you take it so congrats on your great grades! That said, if I were you I would be prepared to talk about why you chose to take it in the summer. Med schools often look at how you did in orgo as an indicator of how well you'll perform in med school, especially in terms of your time management skills. Taking it by itself in the summer rather than juggling orgo along with a full classload during the regular school year might be an issue that is brought up in interviews. Good luck to you!

Taking it by itself in the summer rather than juggling orgo along with a full classload during the regular school year might be an issue that is brought up in interviews. Good luck to you!

Ha. Not hardly. Every school I interviewed at was impressed that I took the entire year of Ochem WITH labs in an 8 week summer session and got A's. I lived/ate/slept/dreamt organic chemistry. We had lecture M-F from 9 - 12, and lab three days a week from 1:30 - 4:30. Exams were typically weekly over 5 or more chapters. Add the pain of often having a lab report for a completed lab due along with a pre-lab for the next lab due less than 24 hours after finishing a lab . . .