Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Summer Opportunity

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr.Zora Love..., Jun 16, 2001.

1. Dr.Zora Love...

Dr.Zora Love... Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

What do you guys think of a clerical position on an Intensive Care Unit where you are responsible for coordinating operations on the unit-including ordering labwork,diets,chart maintenance, etc. There's also great patient-family interaction and many opportunities to help the nurses and residents during CODE CALLS.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds good to me... More importantly, do you like it and do you think you'll benefit from it?.... Is the answer is yes, then I say go ahead. It'll give you a different perspective of things in the hospital. Much Luck :cool:

4. calaxer19

calaxer19 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I went through the roughly the same dilemma last week.

I had two choices: One, a strictly clerical position in ER, CCU, ICU, etc., with some possibility of observation.

Or two, a position at the hospital's therapy center where I was promised little to no clerical roles.

I went with the therapy center because I've already spent a ton of time as a volunteer in ER and felt a clerical role wouldn't benefit me. Basically, go with Popoy's advice: do it if you think you really will gain from it, aside from a impressive looking bullet on your resume.

Then again, I'm still youngster, so just go with what you feel is right for you.

PS: Off topic, but I've spent a little time in ICU and found it very depressing. It's perhaps a reflection of my youth, but I enjoyed other floors much more.

5. hp6527

hp6527 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

This summer I am partipating to a research project about lyme disease with a falcuty member at Albany medical center. I worry if the medical schools require clinical contact because my volunteer work involves very much about basic science of disease and have indirect contact with patients. Also my mentor is a Ph.D but very helpful. I find interesting to assist him and hopefully to continue in upcoming fall. By the way, I am taking some summer courses. Can somebody tell me do I have to switch to a clinical position because I am going to apply for med school next year. Thanks a lot!