summer options: working vs more clinical volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxyx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some help deciding what to do for the summer.

I'm currently doing an informal postbacc (grade repair not necessary), taking some courses and volunteering in the ED and volunteering for a non profit. My original plan was to continuing my ED volunteering for the summer, take a few classes and work as a tutor. Unfortunately, the tutoring company I was hired by has yet to give me any actual tutoring work, so the potential to not have enough money to pay for my fall courses is becoming real.

I recently found an opportunity to work in my previous industry (working with youth, at sea, lots of teamwork, teaching, leadership, etc.), but this would mean I would have to take a huge break in my clinical volunteering, but I would have some guaranteed income for the summer. I would still have time to amass ~1 year of weekly clinical volunteering prior to applying.

I know that the standard argument is that you can always volunteer when you're working, but this isn't the case since I would literally be away from land, in different ports every week, etc.

I guess my question is whether it would look bad to not sacrifice all other aspects of my life to do only medical admissions related activities? I don't want it to seem like I'm not committed, but I think it's silly to take out loans for a few postbacc classes that I could pay for if I just worked for a few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Since no one else has chimed in yet...if you're able to go back to the same place volunteering as before, you should be fine. You should focus on being able to pay for classes now, so that when you're actually in class, you won't be distracted with working to pay for them and you'll be able to focus on the subject matter.

Does the ship have a doctor? Would you be able to spend some free time there in the clinic assisting or just learning the day to day minutae? Just something to think about....

not a big ship and since I'm a WFR (wilderness first responder), I'll likely have the most advanced medical training onboard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Work.

Paying your bills is the responsible thing to do, and adcoms will respect that.

Plus, it sounds interesting. Turn it into a feather in your cap for interviews.

Work. Turn it into a feather in your cap for interviews.

Yes. And you should be able to do this rather easily with such an unusual job. Have some neat stories to tell afterwards, Adcoms will love it. I moved to Alaska for the heck of it, and this came up again and again during interviews. Interviewers were quite interested, to the point that they would pause the interview for a moment in order to go to their computers and find the island where I lived on a map. The first cabin I lived in had no plumbing, only an outhouse, and a bear hibernated only a few hundred yards away--there was no medical angle here, just neat stories. That is all they want to see, really, that you're a normal human being and someone they would enjoy having as a colleague.

This is a no-brainer. Work.

People have the craziest ideas about med school and what admissions thinks for even things like scratching.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk