Summer Orgo in Chicago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Memberabc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take orgo II over the summer in the Chicago area, and I'm trying to figure out where it would be best to take it. I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with the course difficulties or the professors, or whether one school's course would look better to a med school than another school's. My options are:

Loyola (preferred at the moment) - May, Thomas for lab... If I really had to, I could take it with either Helquist of Szpunar, but that would involve waking up at 6 am to take the train. Granted, I'm willing to do this if I have to, but it's not my ideal situation. Another issue is that I plan on commuting to Loyola, which is about an hour and a half away from my house with a train ride. Is this workable, or should I plan to live on campus for the duration of the course?

Depaul - Parra.

UIC - Miranda

Elmhurst College - Losey

I'm open to other options as well. Thank you so much to anyone who can weigh in! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would knock out Elmhurst College because you don't want to look like you went too easy. UIC is probably your cheapest bet if you're an Illinois resident, and access is super convenient via the blue line. I took a couple classes there back in the day - it was fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Parra isn't the best teacher I can think of at DePaul, and since Dintzner is leaving, there's a bit of a void in the Orgo realm. I would go with UIC

Thank you both for the input! Is there a reason you recommended UIC as opposed to Loyola? Is there a change that it would be easier there?

I considered that about Elmhurst, and it makes sense. I wasn't sure how negatively it would be viewed if I took it there as opposed to a school that's generally considered more challenging.