summer plans? advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done research/clinical internships at a well-known hospital for the last three summers. As a result of this, I have not seen my grandparents/relatives for several years because they live in Taiwan (when I was younger, I would visit the country almost every year).

I really hope to see them this year, especially because my grandparents are not doing too well--but I do not just want to have an "empty" summer. Thankfully, my family in Taiwan has connections and can get me into shadowing experiences while I'm there. I also plan on participating in an International Chinese Language Program through their top university there (National Taiwan University). Here is the program description:

"The International Chinese Language Program at National Taiwan University (ICLP) provides an eight-week summer program of intensive Chinese study for selected undergraduate, graduate, or unaffiliated students.
The goal of the program is to provide students with intensive oral-aural language instruction, and to further reading ability in general materials and, as appropriate, in various disciplines or professional fields"

I am already conversationally fluent in Mandarin, but I would not be able to discuss more complicated things such as scientific research in that language. I hope that this program can help me broaden my Mandarin skills.

So what is your opinion on this summer? Do you think it is an "acceptable" alternative to doing an internship in the states? Would the program be worth doing--or would adcoms not really care about fluency in another language?

I know this post was long, but I appreciate ANY advice you guys can give me :)

Members don't see this ad.