Summer plans + Application time...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by justapremed, May 29, 2008.

1. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    Do you guys kinda leave a lot of time during your application year summer for secondaries and stuff?

I just got asked to take part in something for a $800 pay, but it's also going to dominate much of my weekday evenings and Saturdays - July 19 to Aug 2.

But I already said yes to "full time" research (though I'm not getting paid; just on my honor, more or less) and I planned on continuing to add up some hospital volunteering hours during my off-time... on top of applications.

Hm... :thumbdown: Does it sound like too much?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LikeClockWork

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I suppose it really depends on how many schools you apply to and how many secondaries you get.

10-15 secondaries? Seems like you would be pretty hard pressed to give them the attention they need.

3-5 secondaries? With good time management (which I assume you have to make it to this point) it could be done.

I had only 2 secondaries last cycle, worked a full time job, and I still had a luxuriously large amount of time to work on them. I can only guess that would diminish exponentially as you add secondaries and responsibilities.

4. scarletgirl777

Medical Student
    I planned to continue as I normally would this summer--i.e. work full time. I think if you're working 40 hours a week, that's plenty of extra time to be doing other stuff. I was also thinking about volunteering.

If you really want to do this $800 pay thing (sounds like a lot for 2 weeks of work), have you thought about taking time off from volunteering during that time?

5. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    Hm, yes, that's a problem. Right now I have 30 schools on my list, and of course, there's no way I am applying to all 30!

Another problem is that I have these unrealistic (unfortunately...) dreams of "oh, let me apply to ____ (insert: Harvard, Yale, JHU, etc), just so later in my life, I wouldn't say: oh, only if I had applied, who would have known :luck:" knowing that even if the schools do look at more than just the numbers, I'm probably not even in par with many of the applicants to stand a chance. But it's just so hard for me to drop these dream schools off of my list!! If I have the guts to take them off, my list will be much shorter I think, 15-20.

But no no, not as low as 3-5.

6. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    The $800 pay thing would probably require: 4-5hrs/night commitment for 4 week nights in addition to 2 entire Saturdays... It's going to be stress-free hours for me, since it's a music production, but it just takes up a lot of time. And yeah, I'll definitely have to pause volunteering during those weeks.

If I submit AMCAS within the first half of the month of June, when would my prime time for secondaries be? Anyone know? (i.e. when would I start getting tons of secondaries in the mail?)

7. Carlin

Carlin Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm leaving town to be a summer camp counselor next week. I'll be out in the middle of the woods until July 21, but I get downtime at random intervals a few times per week in which I can use my laptop in the office (where there is wireless!) and I plan on spending all my days off at the local public library, checking up on my applications and working on secondaries. It's going to be tough, but I love this camp so much that it's worth it. :D

8. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    Aw that's such a good attitude!

9. DoctorDreamer

DoctorDreamer In a far away land...

Medical Student
    I applied to 11 schools while working full-time, but it took all of my free time for about 2 weeks... But I also went over every word in every essay repetitively...

Take that for what you will.

10. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the comments!

So I guess it's pretty clear now that full time work + application is doable but apps will take all of my full time. So will mid-July to early-Aug be prime time when this will happen? Or will the load of secondaries hit me before then (if I submit to AMCAS ASAP)?

11. DoctorDreamer

DoctorDreamer In a far away land...

Medical Student
    A few of my secondaries came within minutes of me submitting my AMCAS, and a few trickled in over the next few days, and several came after my AMCAS was verified. I just did them as I got them, and it all worked out. If you submit your AMCAS on June 1st, you should get and finish most if not all of your secondaries by the end of June or mid-July at the worst.

12. justapremed

Pre-Medical
    Excellent! :clap: