MD & DO Summer Plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DODoc2Be91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted a similar thread on the DO forums and got a diverse set of responses so Im curious to see what my MD colleagues are doing for their first and last summer between MSI and MSII.

With my interest in either PC or EM, I have been informed to do clinical research over basic research and not to take the summer off as that puts me at a disadvantage for ACGME spots, however, this is different from what my clinical professors say in which they said it was fine to take the summer off.

While having research never hurts an application, I am curious to hear what you all have been told about for your first summer off. Are your mentors suggesting to take the summer off? Do research? Study for MSII :p

Members don't see this ad.

I've posted a similar thread on the DO forums and got a diverse set of responses so Im curious to see what my MD colleagues are doing for their first and last summer between MSI and MSII.

With my interest in either PC or EM, I have been informed to do clinical research over basic research and not to take the summer off as that puts me at a disadvantage for ACGME spots, however, this is different from what my clinical professors say in which they said it was fine to take the summer off.

While having research never hurts an application, I am curious to hear what you all have been told about for your first summer off. Are your mentors suggesting to take the summer off? Do research? Study for MSII :p
If you are set on PC or EM then I think you can take the summer off. Unless you want to go into an academic PC/EM program then probably do some research. If you want to apply to a community program then maybe do some clinical research. But you can also do that during 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user