Summer plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJArms22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, if all goes well, I'll be taking my MCAT this May and applying this cycle. I've been contemplating what I should do in the summer though. I think my EC's are decent, but nothing great. I've looked into programs like ISL and even study abroad, but they were honestly too expensive for me to seriously consider. I've worked most of my undergrad too, helping my parents out with tuition. I never wanted to do research, but I figured I'd give it a shot in the summer and do it here at my university. I also thought of graduating a semester early (Fall 2013), I would have to take a couple of classes. Since I want to do research, I thought of killing two birds with one stone and doing research as credit during the summer, but that hasn't worked out. The professors I've asked all have full labs right now. So my original goal of research with credit and an additional cupcake class doesn't seem to be looking good. Like a lot of people on here recommend, I'd love to go traveling or participate in abroad programs, but I don't have the cash. I thought of taking two classes and volunteer research as well during the summer, but that just seems like it's going to be a pain. I feel like I don't have any WOW factors either. I actually thought of applying to be a scribe for summer, but Ive heard many of the positions require a year minimum and I think Fall semester's going to be tough. I'm just sort of stuck right now with what to do. I'd love to graduate early, but I also want to find something worth while to do in summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Continuing to look for research opportunities either at your institution or another through one of the many summer research fellowships (SURF/SURP/etc) is probably not a bad idea.

However, if you are applying this coming cycle, any results probably won't be on your primary application. You could always send update letters though.

It seems like you're a little worried about your ECs... I would say apply next year if you really are lacking in some areas, but it's up to you...

Look at more research outside of your professors. Ie. university's medical center, local hospitals, other professors that you haven't had class with.

I'm a protagonist of not doing EC's just for the sale of having more EC's. do something that you enjoy, something that interests you and you can be passionate about. Part of the goal of EC's is to show that you have experience with what life will be like as a doctor or that you know at least a little about service, volunteering, etc. Another purpose of EC's is to show who you are and what your interests are. It shows an actual person and not just the standard, "Shadowed docs for X number of hours, participated in Y research, and volunteered for Z."
Hopefully that makes sense. Good luck!

Edit:
I guess I could have mentioned some ideas of what you can do. I joined up with some campus clubs that did things I enjoy. I helped start a hiking/backpacking club and participated in the racquetball club. Quite often you can find leadership opportunities there.