Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Summer/Prematriculation Programs?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by ringo643, Apr 3, 2001.

1. ringo643

ringo643 Senior Member

So, the school I'm going to (UTMB) has this prematriculation program. I'm currently signed up for it, but I'm having second thoughts. It seems that they're pretty serious about class hours and attendance during this 6-week program. I fear 1)burnout before I even get started, 2)losing my last significant summer break, 3)losing the opportunity to make some $ (although this factor isn't really essential, as I'm getting pretty good aid). On the other hand, it looks like it'd be a good way to get acquainted w/ the area and get a head start on some of the work. I'd like to hear some advice from people who have done similar programs at their schools. Is the advantage worth the cost? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. richierich

richierich Senior Member

ringo,

Summer prematric programs will help you get aquainted and will remove some of the med school pressure early but, if you have any doubts do not do it. There are only two reasons to do a prematric program and the second is weak. 1)been out of school for awhile 2)you are a top notch gunner gunning for some highly competitive program ie plastics, derm ect.... The benifit wears off usually about 1/2 to 3/4 of the first semester. So enjoy your summer.

Richard

4. ringo643

ringo643 Senior Member

what about me as a non-science undergrad major. Might a prematric program help me 'catch up' with my brethren and sistren who majored in biochem for four years? (there's also a med. spanish program at this particular summer school, so I think that would be a big help as well.)

5. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie

I dont know, Ringo...I mean, Im going to it, partially as an excuse to move out of my parents house sooner (they're driving me NUTS!), partially to help "get ahead" and "get a taste" of med school and partially b/c I want to be able to spend a litle bit more time with my fiancee - and if Ive seen some material already, I wont have to study *quite* as much. I think the med spanish thing looks really cool too. Ive heard that it really is worth it at UTMB, thats why Im going.

smiles,
    star

6. richierich

richierich Senior Member

Like I said, the benifit lasts only about 1/2 of a semester. We have finance, english, ect... and they are doing just fine without doing the prematric program. We also had science majors that have been doing just as well as the rest of the class. It is a personal choice, if you feel you need a summer off take it, if you really need to get ahead, refer back to my previous post, then do the program. All in all, it is an obsurd amount of information that you have to digest and it can be done and done well without prematric.

Richard

PS If your brethern had majored in biochem then they will have difficulty in anatomy, histo, ect...

[This message has been edited by richierich (edited April 05, 2001).]