Summer Research Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations on the Goldwater Scholarship!

If you won a Goldwater already, that must mean you have some killer research credentials, and some significant experiences already-- many of these programs I guess are looking to give students with meager/non-substantial research backgrounds a really meaningful summer internship. So by no means are summer internship application results a reflection of your scientific capabilities. After a while, these things get so damn competitive, it's a crapshoot.

Last year (summer after sophomore year), I was lucky enough to get into 3/4 excellent research programs I applied to in the Boston area-- I only had one crumby research summer prior, and no real skills besides cell culturing. This year, I only got into one of 5 programs (off the waitlist at that, and only because I had participated last year and made some connections.) Ironically, this year, I had a beefed up resume with awards, independent studies, work towards and honors thesis, and a shiny GPA. It was humbling, haha. But I got a Goldwater nod (an Honorable Mention, so not quite as stellar as you!), which boosted my spirits after a string of rejections.

Hang in there!

Haha, definately hanging in. I just hope I get off that waitlist, that would make me complete :laugh:.

Congratz! Getting a goldwater honorable mention means that if they had more money, you would have got one too! Its a huge deal! Are you being treated differently by faculty now that you won? Everyone is trying to take credit for me haha

Members don't see this ad.

the Tufts REU site said they'd make announcements by today. I'm hoping for good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
The REU I applied to was canceled (lack of funding). Which I guess is not an acceptance but, to make myself feel good, I won't consider it a rejection.

To be quite honest I was ambivalent to attending it. While I DID want to attend the program and do the research, I had a LOT of other things I needed to do instead.

I applied to Wisconsin and Case Western and haven't heard a peep from them. I think someone else on this thread applied to Wisconsin and has been accepted. Another person applied to Case Western and has been rejected. So I guess decisions on both programs have started to come out already...

I got rejected from Case REU a couple days ago...

REJECTED:
-Case Western REU
-University of Akron Polymer Science REU (b/c I did it before)
-Vandy

STILL AT LARGE:
-NC State Chemistry
-Georgia Tech
-Oregon University

ACCEPTED:
Syracuse Biomaterials Institute this summer! :thumbup: (Plan on biomaterials PhD only after undergrad)

I applied to Vandy and have yet to hear a response (is this a good sign)?

Are rejections all sent out in one fell swoop?

I got this message from Vanderbilt on March 24, in response to an email inquiry I had sent several days earlier.

"On March 1st invitations were emailed to those who were selected to participate and this has continued until each Summer Science Academy program filled their slots. The clinical research program is still emailing out offers, with 3 slots left to fill. In April a final message indicating that the all of the 2011 SSA slots have been filled will get emailed to the remaining applicants who completed their application.

Have a nice day, Mrs. Williams"

Interpret this as you will, but I assumed it was not good news if I hadn't heard anything yet.

I doubt they really have a system...you can go far in the application process and then get denied, or get it quick. I don't really favor vanderbilt's communication and people skills.

Accepted Emory SURE today... huge surprise to me. anyone else hear from them?

I was accepted to Emory SURE as well. I'm about to send them an email, turning down my position because I've already accepted another program. So someone should be getting my spot!

Hi I'm sort of new to this forum. Has anyone heard back from the Yale SURF program? If anyone has been admitted in previous years, can you please tell me how they usually inform applicants of their status? I'm going insane from waiting.

Thanks.

Hi I'm sort of new to this forum. Has anyone heard back from the Yale SURF program? If anyone has been admitted in previous years, can you please tell me how they usually inform applicants of their status? I'm going insane from waiting.

Thanks.
we all are going insane waiting for an answer from our programs :confused:

Congrats! That's where I'm going this summer. Did you give them official acceptance or our you waiting to hear from other programs first?

Thanks! The lady who called me told me they would be sending me information in the mail first, I will definitely be accepting this offer as I'm very interested in BCM for medschool :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
if some of you are still wanting to apply to any programs:
http://www.uthsc.edu/pharmacology/surf.php

the deadline is april 15. I withdrew my application in lieu of other acceptances, but the PI said that had one of the strongest applications (and you can see my stats a couple of pages back... they aren't that stellar). I'm sure they would love some apps from you all!

Also, I heard back from Wake Forest CIB and LSU SUPER in case anyone had applied to those programs and was wondering.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your application to the 2011 research program. Yours was among many highly qualified applications. We regret to inform you that due to limited spacing, we will not be able to offer you a placement in this year's 2011 Summer Research Fellowship Program.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best wishes in all your future endeavors.

Deborah Harmon Hines, Ph.D.
Janet Stein, Ph.D.
Co-Directors of the Summer Research Fellowship Program

Bah, Got the same one! I think they must be about done. I applied WAY late in the game.

UChicago PSOMER went out today. "We regret to inform you...etc". Has anyone heard from NYU-CNS, OHSU, or WUSTL aging?

Thanks! The lady who called me told me they would be sending me information in the mail first, I will definitely be accepting this offer as I'm very interested in BCM for medschool :thumbup:

Yeah you'll get a whole packet in the mail probably in a week at the most, did they tell you whose lab you would be in?

Yeah you'll get a whole packet in the mail probably in a week at the most, did they tell you whose lab you would be in?

Yeah they did so I could start correspondence, my PI seems super friendly! Idk about living at RICE though when my actual home is only 20 min away, seems like an unnecessary expense.

Interview for UCD Hugh Edmondson. Should I do in person or by phone. btw i go to Davis, but interview will be 40 min away in sac

Interview for UCD Hugh Edmondson. Should I do in person or by phone. btw i go to Davis, but interview will be 40 min away in sac

If you have the option I would say do it in person definitely. It shows more dedication and I personally feel that a person can tell a lot more about themself to the interviewer in person than over a phone call.

In person! If you can get there, an in-person interview will be so much more memorable to the interviewer, and you can get so much more about your personality across in person. On the phone, people will just not have the same attention span, so your conversation may feel more disjointed and awkward. In person, you can expand on things a lot more and develop a more personal connection. Plus, you will have so many more ways to make a good impression than on the phone - if you look professional and have a good personality, that can come across really well in person but it much more difficult to tell over the phone.

Accepted!
For people who have done these programs before .Does anyone have tips on how to maximize there summer internships? Anytime to shadow docs? How long can you stay in the lab? Maybe I will get this info once I email me decision

Accepted!
For people who have done these programs before .Does anyone have tips on how to maximize there summer internships? Anytime to shadow docs? How long can you stay in the lab? Maybe I will get this info once I email me decision

OMG CONGRATZ! Where?

anyone heard from Duke Mechanisms of Behavior or NYU-CNS program??????

Dukes site said they would notify this week.... :/

I got into Virginia Summer program. This was one of my top choices, but I already accepted another program. I really want to go to Virginia. How bad does it look if I tell the other program I don't want to go anymore?

I got into Virginia Summer program. This was one of my top choices, but I already accepted another program. I really want to go to Virginia. How bad does it look if I tell the other program I don't want to go anymore?

It looks real bad.

anyone heard from Duke Mechanisms of Behavior or NYU-CNS program??????

Dukes site said they would notify this week.... :/

Still waiting to hear back. This is definitely my favorite out of the 4 I applied to. I've got 1 rej. (UChicago) and 3 still waiting, so we'll see.

Yes it does look bad because they might not have anyone on the wait list depending on how they sent out there offers/rejections.

If you do turn them down I don't think it would look good to apply next year or apply there for graduate school.But this is just my opinion

I think someone else talked about this earlier in the thread... in any case, it really doesn't look good. Expect to have no further relations with this school if you do back out.

Is there some really compelling reason that makes Virginia better than whatever program you already accepted? If not, it's probably not worth it.

I think someone else talked about this earlier in the thread... in any case, it really doesn't look good. Expect to have no further relations with this school if you do back out.

Is there some really compelling reason that makes Virginia better than whatever program you already accepted? If not, it's probably not worth it.
Yup unless there's a major difference don't do it.As long as your doing research that your interested in that's good.:thumbup:

Do not burn a bridge you might need to walk over one day

Thankz everyone but Im still going to Virginia lol....jp...

Im just thrilled that I'm going to be doing research in my interest (neuroscience). I'm happy for the opportunity especially since I don't have good grades. As long as I have the passion it doesn't matter where I go.

Im just thrilled that I'm going to be doing research in my interest (neuroscience). I'm happy for the opportunity especially since I don't have good grades. As long as I have the passion it doesn't matter where I go.
Whats your stats? you can pm me if u prefer

Whats your stats? you can pm me if u prefer

Here are my STATs:
Stony Brook University-Junior
GPA 3.2
Research Experience: One year of research in my home school, Summer research program at Columbia University
Conferences/Awards: Multiple....I lost count.
Pubs: Working on 1
Passion: Neuroscience-glial cells...I know this is not a stat lol

Its clear I don't have good stats(hope this makes you guys feel better:). I don't even know how I got into my top 2 choices of programs (must of been the LOR).

At this point, I think it's safe to compile a casualty count for me. Last year I applied to many of the same programs (and others) and got into nada. Luckily, this year was a tad better. My advice - apply to a bunch of programs and run a Western gel every day to appease the research gods.

Amgen Columbia - Rejected (maybe waitlisted, but who knows!)
Amgen MIT - Accepted and attending
Amgen UCSF - Rejected
Amgen UCSD - Rejected (no response whatsoever)
Amgen UCLA - Rejected
Amgen WashU - Waitlisted, then rejected

Harvard HST - Rejected (after being waitlisted last year!)
HSCI - Rejected
Penn - Waitlisted, then accepted (declined due to MIT acceptance)
Hopkins SIP - FAIL (late rec --> nasty email notice of non-consideration - ha. ha.)
Leadership Alliance - Rejected (I assume)
Mount Sinai - Rejected (possibly due to late rec)
Mayo Clinic - Rejected (possibly due to late rec)

Last edited:
According to someone on another forum, they got rejected from Yale SURF on Friday via email, but I haven't heard anything back from them yet...

Ah! I don't know though :(

Heard positive news from Caltech SURF, however.

Has anyone heard back from UNC Chapel Hill REU or Clemson Chemistry SURP?

Rejected from Cincinnati RGE and Wisconsin SROP (PREP).

But...I already got into my first choice program so I'm happy.

Just a quick question, once we finish these programs, where would we put them in a CV?

Rejected from Cincinnati RGE and Wisconsin SROP (PREP).

But...I already got into my first choice program so I'm happy.

Just a quick question, once we finish these programs, where would we put them in a CV?

rejected from cinci too. got into case though

Duke Mechanisms and Behavior was supposed to notify by April 8... I haven't heard anything... Has anyone else who applied heard either yay or nay or atleast know when we may hear?