Summer Research Advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctre

Brofessor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for my university's summer research program along with research programs at other universities. If I do get accepted to both the program at my home university and also to another program with a more prestigious name or better location, I am unsure of which one to go with.
My problem with picking a program at another different school is a matter of continuity. I am sort of in a lab right now but I haven't learn much at all after a semester of being there (though most of that is my fault do to time constraints this semester) and I haven't had any research experience at all prior to this semester. By staying at my current school (and probably the same as I'm currently in), I can take the things I learn during the summer and carry it over the following year. If I leave to go to another program to work on a different kind of project, I'll have a harder time starting up again when school starts since I would have spent a summer working on another project. Also, I am afraid of offending the people in the lab I am with by choosing to go elsewhere during the summer.
However, going to a different school for summer research does have its benefits. I can pick up a completely new project and learn from faculty and students that I would normally not be able to interact with. Also, it would give me a chance to explore research in neuroscience, which is a field that I haven't had the chance to do research with at my current school. Lastly, the opportunity to explore a new campus and city would definitely make my summer much more exciting.
Any thoughts or recommendations on this will be surely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd base it on what field of research interests you the most. The name of the school might help, but if they throw you into a research project you have no care for....eek. If I were you, I'd talk to your boss and ask him about what options will be available for you in the future -
assays to develop
projects to start/run
ability to expand and learn new things

I think that the hassle of transitioning to a new project/place won't give you a lot of time to deal with a project/learn much. I'd stick with your job if you find it interesting - especially if it offers you the ability to expand.

I've turned down positions because the projects they run just don't interest me remotely. Would I have learned new things? Probably. Was the position in a more presitigious place? Sure... But the research project doesn't interest me at all and I'd die of boredom there. :laugh: