Summer research after MS1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj6vcb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any info on the possibility of summer research in between MS1 and MS2 at a school or hospital other than your own. I am starting medical school in the fall (not sure where yet), and think it would be cool to spend a few weeks of the summer doing clinical research in NYC or DC, basically somewhere close to my friends. It wouldn't have to be the most rigorous or cutting edge program, just something that will give me relevant experience and a chance to have a little fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Right, I specifically had a question about summer research, though. The topic of that thread is pretty broad

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of my classmates did research at various programs in Boston, Nyc, and NIH, it's just your responsibility to find the opportunities, and get things coordinated.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the possibility of summer research in between MS1 and MS2 at a school or hospital other than your own. I am starting medical school in the fall (not sure where yet), and think it would be cool to spend a few weeks of the summer doing clinical research in NYC or DC, basically somewhere close to my friends. It wouldn't have to be the most rigorous or cutting edge program, just something that will give me relevant experience and a chance to have a little fun.

Yeah, there are plenty. Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC has a competitive summer research fellowship that pays you and subsidizes your housing. The NIH has medical student summer research opportunities and is right outside of DC (Bethesda, MD). Other institutions have similar opportunities, but I don't know much about them. Search for these programs online by your area of interest and also the specific institution. The applications are due Jan-April of MSI for the summer positions.

Very helpful, thanks guys!

My school will only fund you for research at our institution. If you want to work elsewhere you have to get funding from them, or another outside source.

But over the course of a semester we probably received 50-75 different research opportunities which were located and funded at an institution other than ours from our dean of student research

Do you guys know if Canadian citizens enrolled in American medical schools can get funding? We would need some sort of visa?