Summer research and MCAT???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idioteque

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a summer research program (SURP) or an internship the summer in which you took the MCAT? Did you have time to study? Do you recommend doing this? Thanks. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Idioteque said:
Has anyone done a summer research program (SURP) or an internship the summer in which you took the MCAT? Did you have time to study? Do you recommend doing this? Thanks. :thumbup:

I worked full-time while studying for the August MCAT. 8 hours of work plus 3-4 hours of study is possible. You just have to be willing to commit and prioritize your time.

It's doable. Currently, I'm studying for the August 2005 MCAT, and I work part time in a lab on an independent project. So, figure, I spend an average of 20 hours a week in the lab, and I study on nights, weekends, and when i get out early from work.
I think i might have things easier since I took all my premed requirements already. But, if you have taken the bcpms, and you're diligent it's doable.

Good luck to you and me :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm talking more about research programs , ones where you have to work 40 hours a week, attend seminars, and do stuff with the other kids? Any one do one of these and still have time to study?

Idioteque said:
I'm talking more about research programs , ones where you have to work 40 hours a week, attend seminars, and do stuff with the other kids? Any one do one of these and still have time to study?

I worked 40 hrs/week in a lab last summer while going to the Princeton Review prep course 4 times/week. On top of that were diagnostic tests on the weekend plus studying. It's not fun....at all....no not even a little bit. BUT it is doable (is that a word?).....about a month before the actual test I just shut myself off from all my friends (and beer) and spent every spare second devoted to studying.

Idioteque said:
I did this last summer, and to be honest, would NOT recommend it! Although, like the other posters have said, it is possible, I definitely felt at a disadvantage compared to my peers who were studying as a full time job. I did not do poorly on the test, but I know I could have done better if my schedule was a little less hectic. I would recommend talking to your boss ASAP and telling them that you need at least a week off before the test... I didnt do this, and in retrospect, I should have. Good luck to you! :luck:

Idioteque said:
I did this during my sophmore -> junior summer at UCSF and i have to say, it is IMPOSSIBLE. The lab was so time consuming in the first place and i did not have any study time left for princeton review. I couldn't do any of hte hw they asked like 10 passages a day and i totally didn't study after the classes. I ended up bailing on the mcat and took it next summer with no job, no school, only princeton review again.

yea, thats what I was thinking. I think you miss out on the SURP experience if your studying for the MCAT. Thanks for all the advice. :thumbup:

I worked in a lab full time, and took a kaplan course and still had time to spend every sunday with my boyfriend.

It was better than studying for finals for six classes during school!

I took 2 summer semesters of organic chemistry (the final was the day before the MCAT) plus shadowed a doctor and volunteered at a clinic while studying for the MCAT. I had no social life and my gf was ready to kill me but if you put your mind to do and stick with a schedule it can be done. Best of luck

oh and that was after missing a month of school and having to catch up on everything i missed and all the work to be handed in less than two weeks before finals!

Idioteque said:

Yes, it is possible. I worked full time in a reasearch lab while I was studying for/taking the MCAT, plus my dad had a hear attack during that time.

I was very tired :sleep: and I really didn't have a summer :smuggrin: :( , but it worked out and I got into med school. :thumbup: :D

Idioteque said:

i had a friend last summer who did research last summer for 40 hours he was planning to take the macts. he ended up not taking cuz he did not have enough time to study. he just took the mcats this pass spring. :luck:

In the summer of 2003, my friend took both Ochems and did the MCAT and worked a bit, and got a 31

So it is doable, but like others have said, it isn't highly recommended.

If you have the choice, I would opt to study only. If you really really really have to do something that summer, then go ahead and do it. It depends on the person and what they are and are not able to handle.

i did research and volunteer work same summer as my august mcat, it was more work than i had hoped. the result was i had to request time off for several weeks to give me time to study for my mcat.

I think its definitely possible. I worked full time in a research lab last summer while working on my MS thesis, I also took the Kaplan review course and eventually the August MCAT. I did alright (31Q) and more importantly, I got into med school! Research is a great experience that I wouldn't pass up- and having alot on your plate may end up keeping you more focused. Good luck!

I'm in the same situation! My plan is, after lab go to the gym, run for 30 min, take shower, then head to the library and camp out there :)

i definitely think it's doable. I did a SURP for 35-40 hrs a week, plus workin another job about 20 hrs a week and a princteon class a few summers ago. Like a previous poster said, you don't have much time for the homework they assign, but I found that that wasn't really necessary for me, just reviewing the topics during class and doing all the practice exams helped me the most. I didn't have a social life that summer but it was worth it, did real well on the mcats and am now a MS1. I did have about 10 days off before I was supposed to take the mcat's to try and unwind/relax a bit so that I'd be fresh when i took them, but then the damn blackout happened and had an additional 3 weeks to prepare. Best of luck with it though, just keep your mind on your final goal and you'll manage.

Thanks for all the advice. Im thinking of taking the MCATs next summer, this will be the summer before junior year. Is it worth all the trouble to do it this summer or should I just wait till April of my junior year? Did anyone regret taking it in April of their junior year and wish they had done it summer of their sophmore year? thanks :thumbup:

Idioteque said:
Thanks for all the advice. Im thinking of taking the MCATs next summer, this will be the summer before junior year. Is it worth all the trouble to do it this summer or should I just wait till April of my junior year? Did anyone regret taking it in April of their junior year and wish they had done it summer of their sophmore year? thanks :thumbup:

Unless you've taken physics then you shouldnt take it your sophomore year.

Doing full-time research and Princeton Review. I would recommend rather a part time job and research.

Medinsane said:
Unless you've taken physics then you shouldnt take it your sophomore year.

By the time I take it, I will have completed all the necessary courses plus Biochem1 and genetics (I've heard these are kinda helpful) but I won't have taken physiology (which I've heard is very helpful). Should I still do it sophmore year or just wait?

Would it be a good idea to do a SMEP that preps for MCAT? Anyone do this sophmore summer? Thanks in advance.