Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nemo123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surprised this hasn't been created yet. This thread has been useful to me in the past. Good luck to anyone applying to summer research programs this year! I did a SURF/SURP and an AMGEN program, so if you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Glad this thread has been made! It was very useful for me in past years when I was applying to these internships. I did a competitive REU this past summer as well, so feel free to message me with any questions!

Thanks for making this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really interested in applying for NIH SIP. My top choice site is NIAID (either in Hamilton or Bethesda, don't really mind which one). How competitive is it, and what kind of applicants are they looking for? I'm a microbiology major with a good amount of lab experience, and I've taken courses on both bacterial and eukaryotic pathogens and immunology with A's and A-'s.

Reactions: 1 user
I posted this on WAMC earlier and got no attention. Maybe you guys could give me some advice on what programs to apply to. COPYPASTE!
Hey everyone I'm planning on applying to around 10 undergrad summer research programs and need some help compiling a list since I don't know where I should really be applying.
Stats:
Current Sophomore, URM (Hispanic)
Spanish is my first language and I am a first- generation student, economically disadvantaged
cGPA: 3.6, sGPA: 3.5

ECs:
-Currently have 4 months working as a lab assistant for a genetics research lab, not sure if this really counts as research because I just prepare plates, reagents, autoclave, inoculate bacteria, etc.
-Member of a diversity in science club on campus
-Member of the premed club on campus
-leadership position in science club on campus
- Chemistry tutor for club (30 hours so far)
-Teach basic sciences to undeserved elementary school students (45 hours so far)
- Over 300 hours of hospital volunteering

LORs:
One would be from the PI in the lab I work in
The other could be from my Ochem professor, English professor, or the Hospital Volunteer Coordinator

Currently I only know that I am applying to my home institution for sure. Where else should I apply?
If I am missing any other important information please let me know and thank you for all your help.

I'm really interested in applying for NIH SIP. My top choice site is NIAID (either in Hamilton or Bethesda, don't really mind which one). How competitive is it, and what kind of applicants are they looking for? I'm a microbiology major with a good amount of lab experience, and I've taken courses on both bacterial and eukaryotic pathogens and immunology with A's and A-'s.

As far as I understand, your application goes into an electronic database where PI's can browse for summer interns. There really isn't a centralized selection process for the NIH programs, so it's recommended that you actively search for investigators and send them an email expressing your interest in joining their lab. From the program website, 1000/6300 applicants were selected, which isn't terribly competitive compared to other summer programs, which typically accept < 10%.

I posted this on WAMC earlier and got no attention. Maybe you guys could give me some advice on what programs to apply to. COPYPASTE!
Hey everyone I'm planning on applying to around 10 undergrad summer research programs and need some help compiling a list since I don't know where I should really be applying.
Stats:
Spanish is my first language and I am a first- generation student, economically disadvantaged

Most summer programs are targeted towards URMs and other socioeconomically-disadvantaged groups, in addition to students who attend small universities that don't have a lot of research opportunities, so you've definitely got a good shot at landing an internship.

This document from FHCRC was very helpful for me last year and is a compilation of a lot of different programs: http://www.fhcrc.org/content/dam/public/education/internships.pdf

Pathways to Science is another great resource: http://www.pathwaystoscience.org/Form.asp

A word of advice though--summer programs are notoriously difficult to get into because a large number of students apply for a very small number of spots, and the application process for most programs isn't particularly rigorous (compared to applying for medical/graduate school), so plenty of strong applicants get rejected from these programs. Apply broadly, but only to programs where you're truly interested in attending if accepted. I applied to 14 programs last year with strong stats--received 13 rejections, but fortunately accepted to a program that I applied to on a whim. I ended up loving the experience and the university is now one of my top choices for grad school.

Reactions: 2 users

Agreeing with redrock... The PIs choose who they want to pick for NIH SIP from a humongous database with everyone app in it, so if you want to increase your chances of landing a position, email a ton of PIs. I remember when I was applying, most PIs were taken by the end of December (and early January) I think.

Stats:

ECs:
-Currently have 4 months working as a lab assistant for a genetics research lab, not sure if this really counts as research because I just prepare plates, reagents, autoclave, inoculate bacteria, etc.
-Member of a diversity in science club on campus
-Member of the premed club on campus
-leadership position in science club on campus
- Chemistry tutor for club (30 hours so far)
-Teach basic sciences to undeserved elementary school students (45 hours so far)
- Over 300 hours of hospital volunteering

LORs:
One would be from the PI in the lab I work in
The other could be from my Ochem professor, English professor, or the Hospital Volunteer Coordinator

Currently I only know that I am applying to my home institution for sure. Where else should I apply?
If I am missing any other important information please let me know and thank you for all your help.

The second letter should be from the orgo professor. Programs state they want them from lab people or science faculty. I think you have a good chance, but like redrock said, these programs are a big crapshoot (even more than MD admissions!). You should probably apply to more than 10 if you want to have a solid chance of getting at least one acceptance to a summer program.

Reactions: 1 users
^ From my experience talking with my other friends who did summer programs elsewhere, programs that don't provide housing tend to be somewhat easier to get into than ones that do. That being said, you need to have a very specific reason for wanting to do a summer program as opposed to doing research at your major research institution.

Nemo123 did you already have research experience prior to the summer program?

Nemo123 did you already have research experience prior to the summer program?

Yep I did, during high school and during college. However, some programs really make it point to give research experiences at these summer programs for individuals who don't have much in the way of research opportunities at their home institution. I met a lot of those kinds of people at my summer programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I am also applying to programs for the summer over break :) not completely sure which ones yet but NIH CCSEP SIP (SIP only for community college students) and Robert Wood Johnson biomedical careers program are my top choices. Do you think it would be ok to take a pretty relaxed easy A online English course while doing these programs? Will I have any free time? Also, I am a freshman. What programs are good to apply to for freshmen with no research experience? I'm looking for something not that competitive and preferably in NJ. Monmouth University summer research program might be one I apply to.

Yep I did, during high school and during college. However, some programs really make it point to give research experiences at these summer programs for individuals who don't have much in the way of research opportunities at their home institution. I met a lot of those kinds of people at my summer programs.

Cool. Neither my high school nor college have promoted research and, therefore, I have never held a research position. I am looking to these summer programs for a good introduction!

Hey! I am also applying to programs for the summer over break :) not completely sure which ones yet but NIH CCSEP SIP (SIP only for community college students) and Robert Wood Johnson biomedical careers program are my top choices. Do you think it would be ok to take a pretty relaxed easy A online English course while doing these programs? Will I have any free time? Also, I am a freshman. What programs are good to apply to for freshmen with no research experience? I'm looking for something not that competitive and preferably in NJ. Monmouth University summer research program might be one I apply to.

If you are thinking of NIH SIP, I would definitely recommending contacting a lot of PIs there. They pick from a pool of applications, and it'll be easier to find a position if you email PIs directly. As for programs after freshman year, there are only a handful that take freshman. These programs also tend to not have housing available to students. And most programs say that you are not allowed to take courses while doing those programs.

Cool. Neither my high school nor college have promoted research and, therefore, I have never held a research position. I am looking to these summer programs for a good introduction!

Make sure you emphasize that in your essays.

Are these programs rolling admissions?

Most of them are, but you should check with the application website or FAQ page for the specific program. I think it definitely helps to submit early and not wait until the last minute.

Finally. Thread has been created. I would have myself, but I made last year's thread.

Where are you guys applying?

I thought that I would apply for this summer, but I decided against it in order to devote a solid 3 months to sn2ed prep for the August 15 MCAT.

Do the alumns have any advice for what I could do next year to ramp up my application? I am going to shoot for AMGEN, NIH CCEP, etc.... LOTS! Are programs looking for students with strong research experience or just INTERESTING and motivated students? I have very unique ECs, a 4.0 gpa, but NO research experience /:

I thought that I would apply for this summer, but I decided against it in order to devote a solid 3 months to sn2ed prep for the August 15 MCAT.

Do the alumns have any advice for what I could do next year to ramp up my application? I am going to shoot for AMGEN, NIH CCEP, etc.... LOTS! Are programs looking for students with strong research experience or just INTERESTING and motivated students? I have very unique ECs, a 4.0 gpa, but NO research experience /:
I'm also debating on whether I should devote my entire summer for the MCAT or do an internship while studying but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Agreeing with redrock... The PIs choose who they want to pick for NIH SIP from a humongous database with everyone app in it, so if you want to increase your chances of landing a position, email a ton of PIs. I remember when I was applying, most PIs were taken by the end of December (and early January) I think.

Holy crap, seriously?? I was planning on having my app in by the beginning of January, and LORs in by mid-January. Would I really be that late for SIP?

Holy crap, seriously?? I was planning on having my app in by the beginning of January, and LORs in by mid-January. Would I really be that late for SIP?

I concur with redrock and nemo123.
I didn't apply to NIH SIP, but I applied to two Amgens and a SURF this past summer (ultimately accepted to one, waitlisted at another) and what was instrumental in my case was e-mailing PIs around December/January. Typically, "announcements of opportunity" are submitted by the PIs at the start of the new year, but some labs I knew of were hunting for potential applicants before then. Caltech even required you to submit a proposal with your potential mentor as a part of the application, so in that case it was essential to forge a connection.

Prior to applying I only had 1 year of research, spread across two different labs (nothing really remarkable) and my home institution is not a research powerhouse. Every Amgen scholar in my cohort had previous research experience, but many of the participants in the other summer programs (SIP, SURP, etc.) did not have any.

I guess the best game plan is just to cast your net wide? Maybe check with professors/mentors at your university and see if they have any connections (or previous students!) that they know are hosting summer research students. If you have any unique research skills, play that up because many PIs would love to take on someone who would require minimal preliminary instruction; ten weeks is far less time than it seems... especially for bench research.

I concur with redrock and nemo123.
I didn't apply to NIH SIP, but I applied to two Amgens and a SURF this past summer (ultimately accepted to one, waitlisted at another) and what was instrumental in my case was e-mailing PIs around December/January. Typically, "announcements of opportunity" are submitted by the PIs at the start of the new year, but some labs I knew of were hunting for potential applicants before then. Caltech even required you to submit a proposal with your potential mentor as a part of the application, so in that case it was essential to forge a connection.

Prior to applying I only had 1 year of research, spread across two different labs (nothing really remarkable) and my home institution is not a research powerhouse. Every Amgen scholar in my cohort had previous research experience, but many of the participants in the other summer programs (SIP, SURP, etc.) did not have any.

I guess the best game plan is just to cast your net wide? Maybe check with professors/mentors at your university and see if they have any connections (or previous students!) that they know are hosting summer research students. If you have any unique research skills, play that up because many PIs would love to take on someone who would require minimal preliminary instruction; ten weeks is far less time than it seems... especially for bench research.

Thanks for the feedback! I won't be able to get in touch with one of my letter-writers or my PI until January since both of them are out of town for winter break, and I don't want to put them down as references without their permission (obviously). Would it be worth it to just send an email to PIs now, along with my resume, letting them know I'll be submitting an application within 2-3 weeks?

Thanks for the feedback! I won't be able to get in touch with one of my letter-writers or my PI until January since both of them are out of town for winter break, and I don't want to put them down as references without their permission. Would it be worth it to just send an email to PIs now, along with my resume, letting them know I'll be submitting an application within 2-3 weeks?

Personally, I would! I sent out a bunch of e-mails to PIs with projects I was interested in (check the program's website to see if they list PIs participating or, if that doesn't exist, hunt for the previous year's abstract compilation/final presentation schedule to see what PIs are active in your respective programs). A lot (most) of my e-mails went unanswered, but some labs wrote back requesting a casual phone interview. One lab I was local to asked if I would be willing to come in so they could show me their work.

Best of luck! I had an excellent experience and I am still working with my lab, but alas... this process is a total crapshoot.

Personally, I would! I sent out a bunch of e-mails to PIs with projects I was interested in (check the program's website to see if they list PIs participating or, if that doesn't exist, hunt for the previous year's abstract compilation/final presentation schedule to see what PIs are active in your respective programs). A lot (most) of my e-mails went unanswered, but some labs wrote back requesting a casual phone interview. One lab I was local to asked if I would be willing to come in so they could show me their work.

Best of luck! I had an excellent experience and I am still working with my lab, but alas... this process is a total crapshoot.

Thanks again! Just to clarify, I can/should email PIs before sending in my application? If all goes well, my application will be in by January 6th/7th and LORs shortly afterwards.

You could always start emailing PIs first and just attach a resume of your research experiences in the meantime and tell them that you're applying to SIP.

Thanks for making this thread! Would you guys reccomend applying to an Amgen program (Stanford) with a 3.58 GPA and a decent amount of research (3 publications)? I don't want to apply if it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed rejection because of the GPA. Nemo, do you remember if anyone at your Amgen had less than a 3.7?

Thanks for making this thread! Would you guys reccomend applying to an Amgen program (Stanford) with a 3.58 GPA and a decent amount of research (3 publications)? I don't want to apply if it's going to pretty much be a guaranteed rejection because of the GPA. Nemo, do you remember if anyone at your Amgen had less than a 3.7?

No idea about GPA (but I do think almost everyone in my program had a 3.8+... at least when that's what it seemed like), but I do know that Stanford AMGEN will only take URMs (UCSF was also had more URMs than the other AMGENs too). Otherwise, the other AMGENs were full of whites and Asians. You could always apply to AMGENs if you can pour your heart into your essays and really have a solid reason why you need to do a summer program given your research background.

Basically these programs want to churn out people who can get into top graduate programs or MSTP programs and obviously it makes it easier with a higher GPA.

You could always start emailing PIs first and just attach a resume of your research experiences in the meantime and tell them that you're applying to SIP.

Great, thanks!!

So excited for this thread. I'm applying to about eight summer research internships and currently working on my essays. What are my chances of getting a SURP?
I'm a sophomore, biology and chemistry major, African American, small institution, cumulative 4.0 GPA.
I'm pretty confident I will have great recommendations.
I have unique and lots of ECs, I'm also a chemistry, maths and biology tutor, I volunteer at a Children's hospital. However, I have no research experience except one from high school and labs.

Last edited:
I would suggest that you take your essay off the internet @success16. You don't know if someone will come and take parts of it. Anyways, your essays seems solid. However, if pharm research not offered at your university? You should mention that if it isn't because it'll strengthen your reason for wanting to go to a summer program.

Hi guys! I just wanted to encourage everyone who is interested in applying for these programs. After getting rejected from a bunch, I did get one acceptance, and it was an amazing experience! Although I go to a major research university, I loved getting the opportunity to get experience in a different lab environment and it was probably my favorite thing I've done as an undergrad, period. Feel free to message me with any questions about the application process or the programs themselves!

I would suggest that you take your essay off the internet @success16. You don't know if someone will come and take parts of it. Anyways, your essays seems solid. However, if pharm research not offered at your university? You should mention that if it isn't because it'll strengthen your reason for wanting to go to a summer program.
Thanks. I will take it off.

Do you have to be sophomore status or have 2-years of college to apply for the SURF program?

Do you have to be sophomore status or have 2-years of college to apply for the SURF program?

It totally depends on the program! Make sure you read the details of the admission criteria carefully. However, just because a program says they "prefer" students of a certain year, don't let that deter you. Just don't apply to those that say they definitely won't accept freshmen.

I want to go MD. Are these types of programs targeted towards MD/PhD's? I don't like research "that" much and am pretty much doing it to check off a box... Uh, i don't want to be a medical scientist but the program looks fun and looks like it would be good on a med school app... Are these kind of programs for future MDs?

What type of questions should I ask PIs?

In what context? Personally, I didn't ask any PIs questions - a lot of the programs have a central application and then you are assigned to a PI based on your interests.

I want to go MD. Are these types of programs targeted towards MD/PhD's? I don't like research "that" much and am pretty much doing it to check off a box... Uh, i don't want to be a medical scientist but the program looks fun and looks like it would be good on a med school app... Are these kind of programs for future MDs?

In my program, there were a bunch of people who were planning on MD only. I'd say it was 50% PhD interest, 25% MD/PhD, and 25% MD only. I'm not sure how it looks when you're applying, again, I'd read the admissions criteria carefully before indicating that you are MD only.

For NYC programs like NYU Sackler, Sloan, or Sinai, does it help or hurt in getting accepted if you already do research at one of those institutions?

For NYC programs like NYU Sackler, Sloan, or Sinai, does it help or hurt in getting accepted if you already do research at one of those institutions?

I know it helps for Sinai. They seem to like to pick people who are already doing research there.

I know it helps for Sinai. They seem to like to pick people who are already doing research there.
what does it take to get into those programs? I know NYU and Sackler to be very competitive to get into. Any insight about the GPA/stats u need to get in...??? :-(

what does it take to get into those programs? I know NYU and Sackler to be very competitive to get into. Any insight about the GPA/stats u need to get in...??? :-(

Most people in my programs seemed to have 3.8+ (probably 3.9+). That being said, I'm sure some of these programs get tons of applicants with 3.8+ (considering most programs are only 30 people on average). Essays and LORs separate people out.

Which AMGEN do you think is the most forgiving with GPA? Is it worth applying to MIT Amgen with a 3.58? It seems like Stanford has very high standards for GPA.

@nemo123 What programs did you apply to last year and which ones did you get? If you don't mind me asking.

Which AMGEN do you think is the most forgiving with GPA? Is it worth applying to MIT Amgen with a 3.58? It seems like Stanford has very high standards for GPA.

I think UCSF AMGEN (based on previous threads), but you will need a unique life story to get in. No, not MIT AMGEN. I did MIT AMGEN and some people in my program were geniuses. Are you an URM by any chance? Stanford's whole AMGEN group at the conference at UCLA was all URM. However, these programs are crapshoots so pick and choose the ones you like and hope for the best.

@nemo123 What programs did you apply to last year and which ones did you get? If you don't mind me asking.

Check your PM box.

I'm applying to around 30 programs this summer.

Good luck to everyone.

Is it worth applying to this competitive summer programs as a pre-med freshman at a community college with a 4.0, pretty good EC's essay and LOR
but nothing incredibly unique? Are they biased against freshman, particularly a community college freshman with barely any research experience? Are there more fitting programs for people like me?

Is it worth applying to this competitive summer programs as a pre-med freshman at a community college with a 4.0, pretty good EC's essay and LOR
but nothing incredibly unique? Are they biased against freshman, particularly a community college freshman with barely any research experience? Are there more fitting programs for people like me?

Most programs will say that they don't take freshmen, so it's finding the ones that will that's going to be an issue.