Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm already in two research labs one neuroscience/clinically oriented (honors thesis), and another in a chemical synthesis lab that is quite prolific--meaning I'll be getting published if the work gets published (1 to 3 papers, middle author). Does this mean, since research hasn't been a major talking point, that a SURE/REU likely wouldn't benefit my application to a significant degree? I'm aiming for a research oriented allopathic school (read northeaster top 20).

What I've gathered is that most people who are interviewing will have some kind if research experience so they will want to ask you about the more interesting things on your app like hobbies or a unique club. That isn't to say research experiences aren't important (because they are).

Members don't see this ad.

Does applying late hurt your chances?
For the programs that use rolling admissions (start looking at apps when they come in), yes.
For the programs that say they don't look at apps before a certain date, 99% sure no.

Does applying late hurt your chances?
I would assume so. Applying late is never good which is why i'm not expecting an acceptance :/ It's definitely worth a try though! Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally finished all my apps--what a relief!

Reactions: 4 users
So far, all PIs that I have emailed turned me down for NIH SIP. Since most of the PIs were taken by now ( based on previous threads) should I consider this over?? :(

Last edited:
I seem to be having trouble getting on of my professors to write my LOR :( My professor was the one that pushed me into doing a summer research program in the first place :laugh: Anyone else ever had this issue? I have 1-week before I have to submit.

I seem to be having trouble getting on of my professors to write my LOR :( My professor was the one that pushed me into doing a summer research program in the first place :laugh: Anyone else ever had this issue? I have 1-week before I have to submit.

It is obviously too late now but you really should have given them 2+ weeks to write the letter. It is asinine to think a 1 week notice is ok for busy professors.

It is obviously too late now but you really should have given them 2+ weeks to write the letter. It is asinine to think a 1 week notice is ok for busy professors.
I have until February 5th, but you're right, it's probably too late to get accepted. I also did give them 2 weeks to write my letter. One already finished his and the other one I suppose is just busy. I would have gave them more time, but I just recently found out about the program. I'll be much more prepared next year :laugh:

I have until February 5th, but you're right, it's probably too late to get accepted. I also did give them 2 weeks to write my letter. One already finished his and the other one I suppose is just busy. I would have gave them more time, but I just recently found out about the program. I'll be much more prepared next year :laugh:
Is this program HSCI internship? I'm also applying to that program, but still waiting for one of my professor's to write the letter. Everything else is done. He said he would upload it by tomorrow.

Is this program HSCI internship? I'm also applying to that program, but still waiting for one of my professor's to write the letter. Everything else is done. He said he would upload it by tomorrow.
No, im applying to the Johns Hopkins internship program. Is HSCI Harvard? Good luck, I hope you get in!

Side note: My professor started and completed his letter within an hour or two. I'm not sure if that's good or not :laugh: Regardless, my application is finally sent! Now to see if im going to be the lucky 1.7% that makes it.

No, im applying to the Johns Hopkins internship program. Is HSCI Harvard? Good luck, I hope you get in!

Side note: My professor started and completed his letter within an hour or two. I'm not sure if that's good or not :laugh: Regardless, my application is finally sent! Now to see if im going to be the lucky 1.7% that makes it.

Yes, it's Harvard Stem Cell Institute. I gave mine more than enough time, but he seems to be so relaxed about it because of the deadline. Good luck with your application, too :)

Finally got the letter from my professor. I'm done with my application for HSCI! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So what is everyone's "dream" program (out of what you applied to)? I think mine would have to be Mayo or Vanderbilt because their research aligns pretty well with my interests

NIH, Penn or Loyola. Or anywhere that studies parasites (not too many places do :/)

I'm not sure if I should apply NIH this summer. :thinking:

I've decided to spread out my letters this summer, so I don't have as many angry emails. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Finally got the letter from my professor. I'm done with my application for HSCI! :)

Good luck to all those applying to HSCI!
I did the program last year and it was GREAT :)

Did anyone here receive the HHMI ExROP Fellowship?

Anyone ever been accepted to UC Berk AMGEN?

I know someone who was accepted last year. He was accepted at 3 AMGENs. I have no idea what his app looked like though, but I'm sure he had an amazing app if he was accepted at 3 sites.

I know someone who was accepted last year. He was accepted at 3 AMGENs. I have no idea what his app looked like though, but I'm sure he had an amazing app if he was accepted at 3 sites.

wow. was he URM if you don't mind me asking?

Must have had ridiculous numbers or amazing personal statement! Hoping I can get into at least 1 haha.

So I only applied to 7 programs instead of my list of 10. Hoping for good news soon! Good luck everyone!

gotta love that long wait for your last reference to submit.... Can almost hear the clock ticking down to the dreaded deadline :/

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone post your program list so I can add some last minute apps. :thinking:

I declined CCHMC for another summer program, best of luck to you guys!

Has anyone had any luck with NIH SIP? Half the people I emailed are retiring, and the other half aren't responding :(

"i think submission on monday will be fine. i have done many of those..." just had this line dropped on me, when asking about the Feb. 1st deadline (this Saturday). I'm glad one of can be so lackadaisical about this :rofl::eek::uhno::smack::help:

Insanity is directly proportional to amount of smilelies used to deomonstrate incredulity...

Luckily I've been gradually giving up any semblance of hope, so it really hasn't got to me that much :nod:

"i think submission on monday will be fine. i have done many of those..." just had this line dropped on me, when asking about the Feb. 1st deadline (this Saturday).

I know a girl who did this with all of her applications, and still got in. She was a bona fide genius though...so yeah.

I submitted all my apps, and was relieved for a day or so. Now there's just the dreaded waiting for a response:sick:

Good luck to you all!

Anybody feeling the feely feels of your PI letting you down?

Out of the running for a sizeable stipend from my uni due to her not renewing her stuff earlier. le sigh

help!!!
If an application is asking for GPAs by grade(class year) such as
Freshman GPA: (x/4.00)
sophomore GPA: (x/400)
Junior GPA: (x/4.00)
Is that referring to the cumulative per grade or just the avg of the GPAs during the two semesters of that year?
thanks

help!!!
If an application is asking for GPAs by grade(class year) such as
Freshman GPA: (x/4.00)
sophomore GPA: (x/400)
Junior GPA: (x/4.00)
Is that referring to the cumulative per grade or just the avg of the GPAs during the two semesters of that year?
thanks
The 2 semester that year. (Possibly 3 semesters if you took summer classes). If you notice, this way they can get a general direction of your academic performance, eg., an upward trend showing progress

The 2 semester that year. (Possibly 3 semesters if you took summer classes). If you notice, this way they can get a general direction of your academic performance, eg., an upward trend showing progress
Great thanks!!!!!!!!! :)

Anyone gotten in, or know of anyone else that got in to any research programs (especially AMGEN or leadership alliance) with GPA between 3.5 - 3.6?

Anyone gotten in, or know of anyone else that got in to any research programs (especially AMGEN or leadership alliance) with GPA between 3.5 - 3.6?
Almost certainly for URM, do you mean for over-represented groups though?

Hmmm....random Q. Obviously, who really knows, as its pretty much a giant lottery in the end, but what do you guys think? Do I have a shot at Rockefeller SURF?

Basic Research Stats:

Junior
cGPA: 3.9 (plus a scholarship or two) (first-year dragged me down a bit :p)

Research Experience: 4 active years (1 part-time full year (during HS), 4 summers (2 on competitive full-time sumer research fellowships), 1 full-year 3rd year thesis) - spanning 3 different labs in disparate fields (stem cells and cancer, epigenetics, chemical biology), starting since Grade 10; 5 semi-/fully-independent projects associated with these, plus leading various research seminars and research side-projects, etc. + signed onto 4th year neuroscience thesis

1 First-Author Published Paper (written summer after first year) in medium-ranking international journal (IF~4) + currently on the way to a 2nd first-author paper

Editor-in-Chief of 2 post-doc reviewed undergraduate research journals over two years; both of which are indexed in various worldwide databases
+ founded new university-wide cross-disciplinary undergraduate research journal endorsed and funded by university president and heads of every faculty, and to be integrated into course curriculum across university

Numerous personal self-directed research “design” projects (largely for challenge and fun) that references can attest to…for instance: in-silico designing 3 completely new therapeutic drugs (in first year) on my own with predicted higher efficacy and lower toxicity than marketplace counterparts, designing and modelling a de novo novel tissue-embedded protein from scratch for anti-thrombosis, designing a silicon-based protein, and designing a novel artificial intelligence neural network and associated engineered biosynthetic neural architecture both distinct from previous literature.

Fairly wide breadth of courses (in a very selective integrative PBL science program (4.5% acceptance rate)), but primary focus on biochemistry, molecular biology, and research design.

Very strong Reference Ls from Chair of Research of the Faculty of Medicine from major North American research university, another from a dean, and another from another prof (emeritus).

Plus a bunch of other stuff, like founding a new university orchestra, etc. but that's the general gist of it “research-wise”.

I think my letter of intent was pretty solid and creative, but who really knows lol. These kinds of things are fairly subjective.

But, my app was marked as “complete” on Friday (day before deadline) for various reasons, so idk how that will affect it, given that Rockefeller reviews in order of when apps are completed.

Thoughts?

Judging from your SDN handle and some of the words you use, are you Canadian? I'm not sure Rockefeller accepts non-US citizens...

Almost certainly for URM, do you mean for over-represented groups though?

Yeah I was mainly asking for non-URM/ORM groups. It seems like Leadership Alliance is for the most part only for URM though, anyone know of any non-URMs that have been accepted to the leadership alliance SR-EIP?

I only applied to one SURP this year (the one at Sloan). I know its super competitive and my application probably isnt the best but Im hoping my multiple research experiences will help me somehow lol. *Fingers crossed* for now........:rofl:

Did anyone here receive the HHMI ExROP Fellowship?

Two of my close friends received HHMI EXROP, a year after the summer research internship for minorities at the current undergrad. They both loved it. One at Maryland/Hopkins and the other at Harvard. Their GPAs were great, ECs seemed decent for a typical pre-med, and I think their previous research experiences were the most important, since I know for certain they literally lived in research labs for hours and hours under great mentors.

Did anyone else apply to Johns Hopkins SIP? If so, you should have a email saying there is 1,398 applicants. They typically have 100 spots from what i know soooooooo we have a 7% chance of getting in :scared: Good luck to everyone! 26 days away from knowing!

Did anyone else apply to Johns Hopkins SIP? If so, you should have a email saying there is 1,398 applicants. They typically have 100 spots from what i know soooooooo we have a 7% chance of getting in :scared: Good luck to everyone! 26 days away from knowing!

Good luck! It's going to suck having to wait so long to get some responses from these programs.

Good luck! It's going to suck having to wait so long to get some responses from these programs.
Thanks! Good luck to you too! and i agree, i'm just trying to focus on my classes but the wait is making it difficult on me :laugh:

Yes! It feels like we'll never know lol

Two of my close friends received HHMI EXROP, a year after the summer research internship for minorities at the current undergrad. They both loved it. One at Maryland/Hopkins and the other at Harvard. Their GPAs were great, ECs seemed decent for a typical pre-med, and I think their previous research experiences were the most important, since I know for certain they literally lived in research labs for hours and hours under great mentors.
Sounds just about right! I did a research program at my current undergrad last summer and will be doing research under HHMI this summer again!

Sounds just about right! I did a research program at my current undergrad last summer and will be doing research under HHMI this summer again!

Congrats! Well done.