Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The main problem is that im a freshman and many programs are for soph/junior only :( but if you have some with a March 1st deadline that accepts freshman then i would love to apply to more!

Look around and you will be surprised, I had a list of 10 before I got into one (I'm a freshman). CCHMC, Colorado's Children, Jackson Labs, to name a few...

as for the March 1st deadline, you are cutting it close now because you need letters of rec (2+) to be sent out and you know how faculty can be -.-

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Look around and you will be surprised, I had a list of 10 before I got into one (I'm a freshman). CCHMC, Colorado's Children, Jackson Labs, to name a few...

as for the March 1st deadline, you are cutting it close now because you need letters of rec (2+) to be sent out and you know how faculty can be -.-
hahaha yep! I do know two professors who wouldn't mind writing my LOR's. I'll just have to tell them to save it and change a few things for each app. Thanks guys!

Hi, did anyone apply to and hear back from University of Michigan Undergraduate Research academy yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got rejection email from Sloan Kettering... dissapointed... but oh wells... there is hope from 3 other programs...

A friend of mine got an acceptance to Hopkins SIP today. Quite certain I've been rejected now :(

A friend of mine got an acceptance to Hopkins SIP today. Quite certain I've been rejected now :(
Well, at least its good to see they're still giving out acceptances! Glimmer of hope

Also rejected from Sloan. I already do research in a lab there and even got a LOR from my PI. I wonder if being in a Sloan lab already was a disadvantage.... smh
Oh well.... lol

Since some programs that say they'll be giving acceptances by the end of Feb or March 1 (UPenn, JHU, WashU), do you think that it'd be reasonable to accept an offer from a slightly lower tier school if I haven't heard anything from the others by the 28th?

Last edited:
Just got the email. Accepted into UPenn SUIP!

Reactions: 1 users
Since some programs that say they'll be giving acceptances by the end of Feb or March 1 (UPenn, JHU, WashU), do you think that it'd be reasonable to accept an offer from a slightly lower tier school if I haven't heard anything from the others by the 28th?

definitely, it is not worth the risk

Just got the email. Accepted into UPenn SUIP!

Congrats!

They sent the e-mail on a Saturday? And did you apply directly through their site or through the leadership alliance if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!

They sent the e-mail on a Saturday? And did you apply directly through their site or through the leadership alliance if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks!

I was surprised about the Saturday email too. I applied through the Leadership Alliance. Interestingly enough, my portal there has not been updated to reflect the acceptance yet.

Has anyone ever heard of sending a update letter to these programs? I'm on the waitlist at EPFL but I recently got inducted in Phi Beta Kappa and won 'best poster' at a conference. Would it make any difference?

Thanks!

I was surprised about the Saturday email too. I applied through the Leadership Alliance. Interestingly enough, my portal there has not been updated to reflect the acceptance yet.

You must be a very qualified applicant! On the UPenn website they say they are not giving acceptances until the last week of February, which starts tomorrow. Since you got it before the first day of them giving out acceptances, they must want you very much haha. Good job :).

I too applied through the Leadership Alliance but haven't heard anything yet :\. My GPA probably isn't high enough..

Has anyone ever heard of sending a update letter to these programs? I'm on the waitlist at EPFL but I recently got inducted in Phi Beta Kappa and won 'best poster' at a conference. Would it make any difference?

Phi Beta Kappa is pretty significant so I would send an update e-mail but that's just my opinion.

@MangoPlant : Don't lose hope yet! Good luck!

@Spitphire I know you applied to Hopkins too, if you don't mind me asking when was your application considered complete? Apparently my transcript was lost in the shuffle (I sent it in about 1 month before the rest of my app was submitted), and I just realized my app wasn't considered complete until very recently :eek:

Hey guys, I'm doing research this summer at my home university but I am hoping to do AMGEN or SURF in 2015. I've taken a look at the website/app requirements/locations and such but I wanted to hear from past applicants and students. What locations seem to be the best/most productive for SURF or AMGEN and also do you have any general advice for a future applicant as far as the timeline/requirements go?

@MangoPlant : Don't lose hope yet! Good luck!

@Spitphire I know you applied to Hopkins too, if you don't mind me asking when was your application considered complete? Apparently my transcript was lost in the shuffle (I sent it in about 1 month before the rest of my app was submitted), and I just realized my app wasn't considered complete until very recently :eek:
I was pushing the 72 hour mark they complained about in their email a few weeks back :laugh: I think it was submitted on the 1/26/14 and completed on 1/28/14. It was close to deadline time so im not putting my hopes high

I was pushing the 72 hour mark they complained about in their email a few weeks back :laugh: I think it was submitted on the 1/26/14 and completed on 1/28/14. It was close to deadline time so im not putting my hopes high

lol that e-mail was pretty funny.

Hey guys, I'm doing research this summer at my home university but I am hoping to do AMGEN or SURF in 2015. I've taken a look at the website/app requirements/locations and such but I wanted to hear from past applicants and students. What locations seem to be the best/most productive for SURF or AMGEN and also do you have any general advice for a future applicant as far as the timeline/requirements go?

I think that all Amgen sites will provide you with a great experience. As for SURF, those at top 20 universities will also be great, but much more competitive. Even those found at other universities that may not be top 20 will be good. Pick location that you've never been to before and/or could potentially see yourself attending graduate school. I would say a list of about 15 programs will be good. Half less competitive and the other half more competitive...
Science classes, especially those that are upper level with lab, are also good to have

I'm pre-med, pretty good GPA from small university, but that has opportunities for independent research, which I've done. I'm a senior hoping to go to med school next year unless I get into Amgen Scholars, so I only applied to 3 programs I would really want to do; Berkeley, Stanford, and MIT. Here goes!

I agree with everything soccergirl128 said. As far as timeline/requirements, I would just say apply as early as possible! That being said, I would also suggest taking the time to really work on your personal statement and any other essays you need to write (particularly the previous research statement). That is really what is going to distinguish you from other applicants. So what you can do is write a generic personal statement where you really say everything you need to say, and when the application opens you can tailor it to fit the specific program and whatever word or character limits might apply.

Heya, newbie here. I'm looking to go to grad school, but I hope that you'll let me stay here anyway!

I'm getting really stressed because I didn't apply to that many this year - only 5. :/ I was going to apply to 6, but realized the deadline for the last one was last Friday instead of tomorrow. Messed that one up. I think I might be making a list of March deadlines soon!

Last year, as a freshman(but with about 60 CH,) I applied to about 8-10.. got into 2 and an interview at one. I went to Stony Brook's Stem Cell one, which I don't think is funded this year.

I think the ones I applied to this year are more competitive than last year. Argh. The waiting is difficult.

Heya, newbie here. I'm looking to go to grad school, but I hope that you'll let me stay here anyway!

I'm getting really stressed because I didn't apply to that many this year - only 5. :/ I was going to apply to 6, but realized the deadline for the last one was last Friday instead of tomorrow. Messed that one up. I think I might be making a list of March deadlines soon!

Last year, as a freshman(but with about 60 CH,) I applied to about 8-10.. got into 2 and an interview at one. I went to Stony Brook's Stem Cell one, which I don't think is funded this year.

I think the ones I applied to this year are more competitive than last year. Argh. The waiting is difficult.

My advice would be to get those apps in now, just in case. It's always better to apply early with these sorts of things.

Just a tip for applying next year, start compiling your list a couple days/weeks in advanced (casual browsing literally takes 5 minutes) and apply when applications open/ winter break. If you have yourself a list of 10-15 and apply early with a good statement, you should be set and will have enough time to pester your professors.

Yeah, last year I applied to 10, and I started the whole process around November this year. I just didn't find a whole lot of programs that I felt I should apply to. I'm a student-athlete and want to get some high altitude training in, so the programs I applied to are places I'm seriously considering for grad school. My back-up plan is to try to find a lab (paid or not) at the university down the street from me at home, which is pretty up there in altitude.

I should get on the March apps, but I still have to find them.

Last edited:
Is that the Oregon one? If so I applied to that one too. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Edit: Oh, I hadn't realized so many used SPUR as the acronym. My bad.

Is that the Oregon one? If so I applied to that one too. If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Edit: Oh, I hadn't realized so many used SPUR as the acronym. My bad.

Yeah, that's the Oregon one. I've sent you a PM.

Edit--

SPUR can go to hell. I spent ages filling out that app.

Last edited:
Yeah, that one did take a while. It was difficult too because you couldn't save your progress.

Anyone get anything from Harvard, JHU, Stanford, or WashU?

Struggling between JHU SIP and Weill Cornell gateways to lab. Has anyone done either of these and can offer any insight?

Ahhh, I'm getting antsy because I haven't heard anything back yet :scared:

Accepted to Iowa SUMR but I already accepted NYU SURP so I'll have to reject Iowa's offer.

Today I was accepted to Mayo SURF. TWICE! Decisions..decisions... ;)

Looks like a kid already created the facebook page for mayo surf applicants so if you are planning to go there..like the page
Congratulations on your acceptances. Do you mind telling me the facebook name for the Mayo SURF? I can't find it anywhere.

anybody heard from vanderbilt, Umiami or brown through the leadership alliance?

Heading to NYU SURP, already accepted offer, i didn't hear back from any of leadership alliance programs. I turned down caltech and ucsd amgen last year cuz both offered really late. My top choice was UCSF tho. Whoever heading to NYU, see you there. I'm also waiting on Vandy they said they will give out the first wave of offer (7 ppl) at the biginning of march

Those who applied to Columbia Amgen, did you receive a login or any confirmation of submitting your application? I did not, but the website indicates that applicants should.

Those who applied to Columbia Amgen, did you receive a login or any confirmation of submitting your application? I did not, but the website indicates that applicants should.
nope, i didn't get anything ...

Yeah I did. The moment you submit it generates an email, confirm you're submission. In the email there is a link with a computer generated password that allows you to check if you letters are in and if someone is looking at your file. My understanding though, is that if a PI at columbia is looking at your application you'll get an email from them directly with follow questions and the like.

Which me reminds me... it's been while since I senselessly check on my application... hm brb.

Struggling between JHU SIP and Weill Cornell gateways to lab. Has anyone done either of these and can offer any insight?
I would do JHU simply because it's Johns Hopkins :laugh: Regardless I think you'll have a good time with either choice!

Offer from MD Anderson(Science Park ,Department of Molecular Carcinogenesis )!!!! Ask me to reply in 72 hours tho(which will be a Sunday.........)
Anyone have ideas about Smithville, TX/How tough Texas summer would be?

Last edited: