Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys, so I've been accepted into the Baylor SMART program and the GRU STAR program and I was wondering which one you guys thought might be a better bet. Thanks!
I would go where you think you would grow/learn the most this summer. It seems like both Baylor SMART and GRU STAR have very structured programs with lots of activities planned throughout--so you would probably have a good sense of community at both places. Baylor seems more well known the GRU and there might be bigger name research going on (but I don't think that should be your primary consideration). And the SMART program seems a lot bigger than the GRU--so it might be easier to get lost in the crowd. I know last summer I loved my program with 13 students; we were like one big happy family.

Financially, you'll probably end up with slightly more money at GRU because Baylor forces you to pay $2000 to stay in the Rice dorms over the summer. However, again this should not be your primary consideration.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have been accepted by Indiana University, Chapel Hill, and New York University. I am thinking of accepting NYU as I get to work in the LeDoux lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected by Cold Spring Harbor REU.

Accepted by Conte Center U Chicago REU.

I guess I'll share to give hopes to those without perfect GPAs. I'm a genetics and statistics double major at a top 25 public university. I think having the stat background definitely helps, especially for informatics research because I can code in java, R and SAS. I have a 3.57 GPA and 4.00 Stat major 3.75 Gene major. I've been doing research for the past two years in bioinformatics. I have my own project that I work on independently which unfortunately means little chance of publication. I had really good recs and I think my personal statement was pretty good too.

Accepted: MD Anderson (where I'm going), UPitt techbio
Finalist: CHOP (I think my interview went really well but I haven't heard a final decision yet)
Rejected: Sloan
Still haven't heard: Jax labs, Colorado State, pepperdine, Scripps, Ohio State, Boston University
When did you hear from techbio, if you don't mind me asking?

Didn't make it into Houston Methodist summer internship program. Still waiting on word from UT Houston.

I got a call from Rutgers RWJMS SURP in Neurobiology in case anyone applied there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If all the programs I applied to were due March 13th, when would be a reasonably time to hope to hear back from them?

Do you mean application deadlines were March 13, or do you mean their specified expected response date?

When did you hear from techbio, if you don't mind me asking?
Middle of last week. They gave me until the 25th to reply so I'm assuming they'll send out a second round of acceptances after that

Ah, sure. I got accepted into the Hurley lab REU for animal behavior at Indiana University. Although, I have since rejected their offer.
How long ago did they send you their decision?
Also congrats on your acceptances :)

Didn't make it into Houston Methodist summer internship program. Still waiting on word from UT Houston.

If you're applying to the Medical School's Summer Research Program for UT-Houston, I got my acceptance on the 12th.... Try and email them if You're still waiting.

Managed to get someone from UCSF on the phone. Bottom line: if you haven't heard from them yet you are probably #?@! out of luck (that includes all of their programs btw). GG

Reactions: 1 users
Just to let everyone know, University of Pittsburgh sent out their acceptances for their SURP. (I got into the Cell Biology and Molecular Physiology program) I have already made another commitment, but just wanted to let people know they are active!

If you're applying to the Medical School's Summer Research Program for UT-Houston, I got my acceptance on the 12th.... Try and email them if You're still waiting.
The site says they anticipate that "selected students will be contacted by mid-April" at the latest. I think I'll just wait a little longer...I'm not sure if sending them an email will come across as annoying or pushy. Congratulations on your acceptance, by the way!

The site says they anticipate that "selected students will be contacted by mid-April" at the latest. I think I'll just wait a little longer...I'm not sure if sending them an email will come across as annoying or pushy. Congratulations on your acceptance, by the way!

Thank you very much, @Garurumon. Out of curiosity where on the website did it say mid-April? I know the calender says that Late march would be the latest for decisions - although medical students are expected a reply by 10 April. Regardless of the outcome, keep your head up; you only need one! Good luck

For your reference:
https://med.uth.edu/oep/medical-edu...ch-program/summer-research-program-calendars/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much, @Garurumon. Out of curiosity where on the website did it say mid-April? I know the calender says that Late march would be the latest for decisions - although medical students are expected a reply by 10 April. Regardless of the outcome, keep your head up; you only need one! Good luck

For your reference:
https://med.uth.edu/oep/medical-edu...ch-program/summer-research-program-calendars/

I was looking at the undergrad application form itself, and under "selection process" it mentioned mid-April. But the calendar says late March...? There seems to be conflicting information, but if you got your email already, then I reckon it's late March when they make final decisions.

Thanks; I'd love to get an acceptance, but it won't be the end of the world if it turns out otherwise.

Hi everyone!

Anyone know about notifications for the following?
-SUIP (UPenn BGS)
-MD/PhD SURP (UNebraska Medical Center)
-Neuroscience SURP (UNebraska also)
-SABR Internship (Texas Tech U)
-LSSURP (UMinnesota)
-Pharma/Neuro SUPER (LSU)

To second what @brainfanatic said, I also got the call from the Rutgers RWJMS SURP for Molecular / Developmental Neuroscience yesterday.

Good luck to everyone on their apps!

Accepted the offer to HSCI, declined my other offers.
I will be in a lab at Mass General Hospital!

Best of luck to everyone this cycle

Hi everyone!

-SUIP (UPenn BGS)
-LSSURP (UMinnesota)

To second what @brainfanatic said, I also got the call from the Rutgers RWJMS SURP for Molecular / Developmental Neuroscience yesterday.

UPenn SUIP has been sending out acceptances since mid-February.

OFF TOPIC: I'm getting ready to send out thank you notes (via snail mail) to the writers of my LORs. If I wanted to send one to the post-doc of the lab, could I just address it to the post-doc but mail it to the PI's lab address? I'm sending one to the PI too.

UPenn SUIP has been sending out acceptances since mid-February.

OFF TOPIC: I'm getting ready to send out thank you notes (via snail mail) to the writers of my LORs. If I wanted to send one to the post-doc of the lab, could I just address it to the post-doc but mail it to the PI's lab address? I'm sending one to the PI too.

Thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't make the cut for UPenn then, but congrats to everyone else who did!!

In terms of how mail works, I'm guessing that your PI probably does have a mailbox at the lab's address, so that sounds like it should work.

Hi everyone!

-SUIP (UPenn BGS)
-LSSURP (UMinnesota)

I applied to LSSURP too. Neuroscience is filled and I'm sure heart blood and lung too

I applied to LSSURP too. Neuroscience is filled and I'm sure heart blood and lung too

Wow. Yeah I applied Neuro, so I guess I'll cross that one off of my list. I called them and left a voicemail anyway, so I'll get a confirmation later then.

Today I've been calling around to the programs I applied to and asking about application status. Gotten a few voicemails, so I left name and number there, hopefully I get a response soon, but for sure the UPenn SUIP is filled, and they sent out all acceptances (in February I think?).

I will keep you guys updated!

Hey Guys, so I've been accepted into the Baylor SMART program and the GRU STAR program and I was wondering which one you guys thought might be a better bet. Thanks!

Are you from Texas or Georgia?

Has anyone heard from any of the Cincinnati Children's SURF programs? :eyebrow:

Any rejections/acceptances by SR-EIP Leadership Alliance? I'm still waiting on all three sites...

Yes, in early-mid February, but then I never heard anything else
Thanks for the answer! Did they give you a definite answer when you heard from them? Or just an update on the application process? Just trying to figure out if I have any hope left :bored:

Last edited:
Has anybody heard back from Pasteur? They were supposedly getting back to people by today and they also have been basically unresponsive to emails for additional information.

Hi everyone, I am a non-US non-EU medical student looking for summer research experience at top-notch US and UK universities. Unfortunately I'm not qualified for all of these programmes mentioned above. Does anyone know opportunities available for international students? Or did anyone have experience contacting the professors directly and got accepted? Is it too late to contact now? I have secured an opportunity with my uni in London (UCL) but I'm looking for better ones.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from any of the Cincinnati Children's SURF programs? :eyebrow:
I got offered a position at the UC College of Medicine SURF yesterday , but I haven't heard back from Cincinnati Children's SURF yet.
(Note: the two SURF's shared an application)

I got offered a position at the UC College of Medicine SURF yesterday , but I haven't heard back from Cincinnati Children's SURF yet.

Really? Congrats! Ugh, but I'm starting to lose hope for myself... Good thing I have a back-up plan!

Okay, good to know! Congrats on the acceptance :happy:

Has anyone heard from UNC or Wake Forest TRiBE (Translational Research in Biomedical Engineering)?