Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from UNC or Wake Forest TRiBE (Translational Research in Biomedical Engineering)?
I got into UNC already, but I declined their offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even remember getting correspondence about a potential date of notification.

Either way my hopes aren't too high for UVA, I know it's uber competitive. Good luck to you!
The only emails I got from them were those update emails telling me what was missing from my app. Other than that, nothing really. My hopes for uva aren't so high either. It was/still is one of my top choices, but I'm not holding my breath...

Members don't see this ad :)
The only emails I got from them were those update emails telling me what was missing from my app. Other than that, nothing really. My hopes for uva aren't so high either. It was/still is one of my top choices, but I'm not holding my breath...
Yeah same, definitely on the top of my list but I saw somewhere that they have like 500 applications for 30 spots...nuts!

And I also got those emails, they were very appreciated! After that, no correspondence.

Has anyone heard from Columbia Amgen?
They sent out their acceptances about 2-3 weeks ago. Their rejections were sent out March 11. Apparently they had 11oo+ applicants for 20 positions. So if you haven't heard back, it's probably not good. (Or they could have you on a waitlist in case someone else backs out!)

Really? Congrats! Ugh, but I'm starting to lose hope for myself... Good thing I have a back-up plan!
Thanks! I already committed to the Scripps SURF, so I will be declining the offer for the UC College of Medicine SURF.
Hopefully you still have a shot! Don't lose hope.

Has anyone else heard from Harvard SROH? I know they send out odd Sunday emails and what-not.

Just got denied from UIowa Micro!
Already accepted my top choice though, so it's all good

Reactions: 1 users
I just got denied from UIowa Micro as well and 5 min later received an offer from another site. Crazy

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard back from Harvard SEAS? Any science/engineering positions? Their website says 1st round should go out in the 1st week of March but nobody has said much about Harvard SEAS acceptances/declines online.

Reactions: 1 user
I also received my rejection email from University of Iowa Microbiology. 400+ applicants for 10 positions

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I guess I didn't make the cut for UPenn then, but congrats to everyone else who did!!

In terms of how mail works, I'm guessing that your PI probably does have a mailbox at the lab's address, so that sounds like it should work.

As for UPenn - SUIP for the BGS thing. I believe that, regardless of applying via Leadership Alliance or just through the BGS-SUIP program itself, you'll be put into the same cohort. Currently we have a Facebook group that has been filled up to 27 members. I'd estimate that around ~30 members is the normal amount.

Anyone apply to SRF (SENS Research Foundation) Summer Scholars?

Any updates for Baylor SMART or UT Houston??? Otherwise, it looks like I am staying in Aggieland this summer. I am still hoping. :D

Anything from Dartmouth Leadership Alliance? I haven't seen any acceptances or rejections from any of their programs

bummed man. didn't get into Baylor SMART. I have yet to hear back from UT Houston, the last one. Still keeping my hope alive. ;)

Rejected by the Woods Hole MBL REU, my top choice :( This stings...

Just got a rejection e-mail from Rockefeller University SURF! Huzzaahhh....

bummed man. didn't get into Baylor SMART. I have yet to hear back from UT Houston, the last one. Still keeping my hope alive. ;)
I haven't heard from UTH either. Supposedly we hear back from them around late March. I like your Raidramon icon btw.

Any updates for Baylor SMART or UT Houston??? Otherwise, it looks like I am staying in Aggieland this summer. I am still hoping. :D

I was accepted to UT Houston on the 12th

@Garurumon from what anime/manga is your profile picture?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was accepted to UT Houston on the 12th

@Garurumon from what anime/manga is your profile picture?
Adding to what @chewydog said earlier, if you have a taste for unapologetic absurdity, defiance of logic and tolerance of skimpy clothes for the sake of satire, Kill la Kill is a great anime I recommend. And this is coming from someone who really dislikes fanservice.

Getting back on subject, who contacted you and do you find out your mentor and research topic?

I got waitlisted from Ohio State SUCCESS program about a month ago...anyone hear back from them at all?

I haven't heard from UTH either. Supposedly we hear back from them around late March. I like your Raidramon icon btw.

Thanks! Nice username! Garurumon is among my favorite digimons. Anyway, good luck on the wait! I hope we both get good news from UTH.

Adding to what @chewydog said earlier, if you have a taste for unapologetic absurdity, defiance of logic and tolerance of skimpy clothes for the sake of satire, Kill la Kill is a great anime I recommend. And this is coming from someone who really dislikes fanservice.

Getting back on subject, who contacted you and do you find out your mentor and research topic?

Ah... no wonder that picture looked familiar... a few blokes suggested that anime to me many moons ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,
I'm still waiting on eight programs, has anyone heard from
-Albert Einstein
-Boston University
-Cinncinatti Childrens
-Vanderbilt
-MMCRI
-CUNY
-Claremont Mckenna
-Medical College of Wisconsin

Thanks!

Hi guys,
I'm still waiting on eight programs, has anyone heard from
-Albert Einstein
-Boston University
-Cinncinatti Childrens
-Vanderbilt
-MMCRI
-CUNY
-Claremont Mckenna
-Medical College of Wisconsin

Thanks!
Still waiting for Medical College of Wisconsin also. Their facebook page says they will contact people by March 31. I sent them an email yesterday and am considering calling at the end of the week if I don't hear back.

Still waiting on UFL REU, University of Cincinnati REU, UWASH REU at Friday Harbor, and Tufts REU. Beginning to get scared, since all except the Tufts REU spoke of notifications in late March, and it seems pretty late for acceptance emails. I've emailed the UFL, UCinci, and UWASH people, but my hopes aren't too high...

Last edited:
Still waiting on UFL REU, University of Cincinnati REU, UWASH REU at Friday Harbor, and Tufts REU. Beginning to get scared, since all except the Tufts REU spoke of notifications in late March, and it seems pretty late for acceptance emails. I've emailed the UFL and UCinci people, but my hopes aren't too high...
When did you email Ucinci?

When did you email Ucinci?
Just now ;) The email they sent out 3 weeks ago said to expect decisions in "a few weeks", so that'd be.... well, exactly now, by my count. Kind of making me nervous...
Also to be clear, this is the REU put on by the Sensory Biology, Behavior, and Evolution program that I'm talking about.

Thanks dude, in retrospect I definitely underestimated the selectivity of these programs. I thought I was a shoo in @_@

With a lot of these programs having admission rates lower than those of top schools in the nation, there are definitely lessons to be learned as to what to do in the next admissions cycle and hands thrown in the air (like you just don't care) thanks to the crapshoot system. Do not stress though--are you waiting on any other programs? Otherwise, do you have a backup plan?

With a lot of these programs having admission rates lower than those of top schools in the nation, there are definitely lessons to be learned as to what to do in the next admissions cycle and hands thrown in the air (like you just don't care) thanks to the crapshoot system. Do not stress though--are you waiting on any other programs? Otherwise, do you have a backup plan?
The only programs I'm waiting on were the ones mentioned above... And looking at previous threads it seems like almost no one gets accepted this late, unless decisions were supposed to be sent out in April (and that's only true of Tufts). Fingers crossed :hungover:

I do have a position in a lab at my home institution, and could almost certainly work / volunteer there over the summer if worst comes to worst (my research fit with them isn't the greatest at all, though, and I'm a junior so this is my last chance for better-fitting research, which is why this prospect is still kind of upsetting). Better than nothing, though.

The only programs I'm waiting on were the ones mentioned above... And looking at previous threads it seems like almost no one gets accepted this late, unless decisions were supposed to be sent out in April (and that's only true of Tufts). Fingers crossed :hungover:

I do have a position in a lab at my home institution, and could almost certainly work / volunteer there over the summer if worst comes to worst (my research fit with them isn't the greatest at all, though, and I'm a junior so this is my last chance for better-fitting research, which is why this prospect is still kind of upsetting). Better than nothing, though.

I am the same boat. I am hoping for a research opportunity and have been unable to fit it in the past 2 years. This summer is my last chance to gain research experience. I am still waiting on one more program to respond. I am praying for an opportunity. It is a little upsetting but life moves on. I got a lot of good things on upcoming my medical school application already to highlight. It would be nice to have a good research experience though so I can see how research works but I probably won't get a chance. I am graduating one semester early in December, so I am ineligible to obtain a research opportunity at my university for next fall. So I am keeping fingers crossed on this last one. :xf:

Here are my results so far...

Rejected:
Brandeis
Danforth Center
John Hopkins
U Georgia UBER
U Iowa
UNC Chapel Hill (they sent me an email saying if you don't hear anything by 3/23, assume rejection)
U Nebraska

Probably Rejected:
Colorado State
American Museum of Natural History (friend found out she was a finalist, I haven't heard anything)
UC San Fran
U Minnesota LSSURP (on their alternate list of ~200 applicants, but usually only 4 get picked)
Ohio State

Still waiting to hear back:
Louisiana State
San Jose State
U Georgia - Genetics
U Michigan
U Mass Boston
U North Dakota
Bigelow Lab - Maine

This waiting game sucks--last week I woke up one day and found 6 rejection emails in my inbox.

Rejected by UFL REU at Whitney Labs this morning in response to my email, guess that was going to be a silent rejection :confused:

Any rejections/acceptances/emails in general from UMass Medical School's SURP?

Just got a rejection email from Yale's Sackler/NSF REU program in "Convergent Research at the Interface of the Biological, Physical and Engineering Sciences" (Surprising how when you already got into a dream school, rejection doesn't even matter :p)

Also, I forgot to post on here that I heard back from and was accepted to the University of Oregon SPUR program as well as the University of Pittsburgh Interdepartmental Biomedical SURP. Obviously had to turn them down for Harvard Amgen, but hopefully this helps some people get an idea of where they're at!

I just got accepted to a summer research program! For those who have experience with these programs, what preparation should I do before the program starts? I just emailed my PI asking for papers that I should read, but is there anything else I should do?

I just got accepted to a summer research program! For those who have experience with these programs, what preparation should I do before the program starts? I just emailed my PI asking for papers that I should read, but is there anything else I should do?

Frankly, it's mainly just reading papers beforehand; if your PI told you who would be your future graduate mentor, then perhaps email him/her to discuss an abstract if you want to be super proactive.

Friend just got an acceptance from Rice University REU in Texas if anyone's still waiting on it.

Has anyone heard of the Dialysis Clinic Inc. Internship? It's a summer clinical+research internship and seems really interesting, but I haven't heard a PEEP since applying months ago. Tried emailing, with the only response being that they received my app.

I was rejected from University of Michigan Pharmacy, and I called Colorado State and they have 9 acceptances and they are waiting on 1 response, so another rejection. The struggle. D:

If anyone is waiting on Minneapolis Heart Institute; I was rejected yesterday evening

I got an email today for an interview for UPenn USSP but I've already accepted another program.

Accepted at KyotoU Amgen Scholars! (Rejected from Tokyo Amgen and OIST - only applied to 3). Wasn't sure how it was going to go but I am thrilled!