Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As in within the hour recently? (Basically, are they actively sending things out now)
Yes, as in received the email exactly one hour ago

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone even heard of the Harvard Cell Biology Research Scholars Program? I'm starting to think that they didn't get enough applications and just cancelled the funding for the program or something. Did anyone apply? They said that final decisions would be out March 1st, then nothing.

First rejection at University of Minnesota REU Plant Genetics.
Anyone hear from OHSU CDB?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to UMass Combined Summer Undergraduate Research Program Fellowship. I already accepted Cornell though, so I'll be declining. Just wanted to let everyone know that they've started sending out acceptances.
Which Cornell program?

I was wondering, what's the difference between an REU and an SROP, how do you distinguish one from the other?

Last edited:
This guy! I plan on following through with the program, how about yourself?
Just want to know the research mentor assignments. So much waiting in this process but it'll all be worth it this summer I suppose

I was wondering, what's the difference between an REU and an SROP, how do you distinguish one from the other?

I just assumed all of those acronyms are random groupings of letters and all essentially mean the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My super duper limited understanding is that REUs are funded by the NSF (so you have to meet the economically disadvantaged/minority/etc. qualifications to apply), and your general SROP/SURP/SRIP/SRP/SURF programs are funded by the university/hospital itself, and not through a NSF grant. (Although some of those programs might also be funded by grants from them? Not sure on this.. memory is a bit foggy. But I think all REUs are?) All I know is that when I was searching for internships, if it was an REU, I quickly learned that I didn't really fit their mission and did not apply. So, I think REU is just a specific for being funded by the NSF. Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Just want to know the research mentor assignments. So much waiting in this process but it'll all be worth it this summer I suppose
Yeah, I agree. I'm wonder when we'll find out/if we'll have options in regards to the research labs

Reactions: 1 user
I am a little sad right now. I have already accepted my position in the Boston STaRS a while back, but I was going through my junk mail yesterday and I had an email from the UNC SURE program dated from the 16th. It said that a professor was extremely interested in my application and wanted to ask me a few questions.

I rarely ever checked my junk mail and its just disheartening to think that the program probably thought I just ignored them. I shot them an email explaining what happened. Word to wise, check your junk mail my friends.

Reactions: 5 users
I applied on Feb. 2, which could be the reason why you haven't heard back yet. Good luck! If you are admitted, PM me, since I'm probably going to Portland this summer!
Yeah, I'm actually from the Portland area! They told me late march to early April for information.

Rejected from Vanderbilt VSSA Molecular and Cell!
Did they email you? I emailed one of the program coordinators and she said if I haven't heard anything, it's not a good sign, but nothing is definite yet.

Did they email you? I emailed one of the program coordinators and she said if I haven't heard anything, it's not a good sign, but nothing is definite yet

Yes they emailed me Thursday afternoon so I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon.

Congrats! I wonder if they've finalized their cohort? Guess I didn't get in.
Well last monday they told me they were still reviewing applications so they're probably at the final stages. Hope you get in!

Check your junk and clutter folders. I was religiously checking my junk folder, but I got a clutter report (which I usually never check or read), and for some reason did, and I had a UMASS med school internship acceptance waiting in there. Seriously, clutter? Bad call.

Reactions: 2 users
Check your junk and clutter folders. I was religiously checking my junk folder, but I got a clutter report (which I usually never check or read), and for some reason did, and I had a UMASS med school internship acceptance waiting in there. Seriously, clutter? Bad call.
What is clutter?? I only have spam for gmail.

Sorry about your experience tho :(

When was it sent to you? (The acceptance)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What is clutter?? I only have spam for gmail.

Sorry about your experience tho :(

Exactly -- "what IS clutter?". I had never really checked it before, only junk. Apparently it's another junk category that my email puts messages into as it sees fit. Thankfully, I caught the email before the acceptance expired.

@aristrutz523 Friday!

Has anybody heard from:

CLIMB at University at Buffalo
Mizzou Neuro Engineering
Rutgers NeuroSURP

Got rejected from Rochester and Wadsworth but got into Pitt's comp bio REU. Still waiting on Boston, Michigan, and SUNY upstate.

Still waiting for Rockefeller and Duke SROP.
I don't receive the decision as Duke stated by March 25th.

So are you going to accept the offer at UMass? If so, let me know if you have any questions about how they do things! I know I was confused a bit on how things were run and what appliances were in the place we stayed and all of that! Congrats, by the way!

Still waiting for Rockefeller and Duke SROP.
I don't receive the decision as Duke stated by March 25th.
I'm waiting on them too. Duke seemed disorganized from the get-go. Rockefeller, however, I'm surprised no one has heard back from yet. I received a rejection on 3/24 last year from them.

Well last monday they told me they were still reviewing applications so they're probably at the final stages. Hope you get in!
Thanks. Quick question: did you apply through Leadership Alliance or to SUIP directly? The SUIP site says an official transcript should be mailed directly. I wonder if that's just for those applying to SUIP directly or for SR-EIP applicants as well? The SR-EIP site didn't require hard copies of transcripts if I recall correctly...

I'm waiting on them too. Duke seemed disorganized from the get-go. Rockefeller, however, I'm surprised no one has heard back from yet. I received a rejection on 3/24 last year from them.
Yea same here waiting on them I am emailing tomorrow.

Has anybody heard from:

CLIMB at University at Buffalo
Mizzou Neuro Engineering
Rutgers NeuroSURP

Still no on Mizzou... Their grad coordinator for the program has been terrible and unreliable with replying, in my experience. So, you could try asking, but I don't know if you would get a reply.

I've basically decided to stay here for the summer but I'm still waiting for Cincinnati, musc, nih, pediatric Wustl , case western and umass med........
Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

has anyone heard anything from NYU SURP? have any acceptances have been sent out? its been radio silence for the past month...

Thanks. Quick question: did you apply through Leadership Alliance or to SUIP directly? The SUIP site says an official transcript should be mailed directly. I wonder if that's just for those applying to SUIP directly or for SR-EIP applicants as well? The SR-EIP site didn't require hard copies of transcripts if I recall correctly...
I applied through the Leadership Alliance. I only submitted one transcript to the leadership alliance application, and I guess they then sent it to my three institution choices

Does anyone know when SUNY upstate is giving back responses on their SURF program?

has anyone heard anything from NYU SURP? have any acceptances have been sent out? its been radio silence for the past month...
are you talking about NYU SURP Biology or NYU Sackler SURP? because sackler has already sent out both acceptances and rejections.

Yea same here waiting on them I am emailing tomorrow.
Get unofficial rejection from Duke SROP and the Rockefeller said the committee is still finalizing the class this year and will post the decision soon.
The wired thing this year is I really don't know anyone said he/she is accepted to Rockefeller now. If someone has already been accepted, basically I think this reply also means rejection.

are you talking about NYU SURP Biology or NYU Sackler SURP? because sackler has already sent out both acceptances and rejections.
I was talking about NYU Sackler SURP. seems troubling that I haven't heard any response either way. I've tried emailing/calling and I'm unable to get through to anyone. feels unfair for a program that charges you $20 to submit the application. I'm wondering if there's any way for me to get notified

Get unofficial rejection from Duke SROP and the Rockefeller said the committee is still finalizing the class this year and will post the decision soon.
The wired thing this year is I really don't know anyone said he/she is accepted to Rockefeller now. If someone has already been accepted, basically I think this reply also means rejection.
What do you mean by unofficial rejection ?

I was talking about NYU Sackler SURP. seems troubling that I haven't heard any response either way. I've tried emailing/calling and I'm unable to get through to anyone. feels unfair for a program that charges you $20 to submit the application. I'm wondering if there's any way for me to get notified
They already sent lots of rejections out so many you were wait listed or rejected

What do you mean by unofficial rejection ?

They already sent lots of rejections out so many you were wait listed or rejected
He said the first round of offers have been sent out on March 7th. He also suggested me not to pass another offer closed to deadline, just like what CSHL said.

What did Duke say? Edit: Wait, nevermind. I saw.

Rejected duke here's the message. Holy **** those are lucky ass people lol.

Dear 2016 Duke Summer Research Opportunity Program Applicant: TELEPHONE: (919) 684-2056 FAX: (919) 681-8018 March 28, 2016 Thank you for your interest in Duke University’s Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP). This year, we had a considerable number of applications. Regrettably, there is only sufficient funding to accept eight to ten participants. The faculty reviewers examined your materials carefully, and while they were very impressed with your credentials, you are not in the first round of offers of admission to this summer’s program. I commend you on having been a part of such a large group of extremely qualified applicants for such a small number of available spaces.

Waitlisted at UVM SNURF with an unlikely chance for receiving an offer
BUT
I am accepting an offer at SUNY Upstate Medical University :)

Hi, Did SUNY Upstate send out acceptances? I still have not heard back.