Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if there is anyone on here attending Washington University's Amgen Program, but if there is, i started a Facebook page for it! 2017 Amgen Scholars Program at Washington University

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know of must-bring things for the summer?
Anyone have any idea of the attire that is usually worn? (day to day and formally)

Anyone know of must-bring things for the summer?
Anyone have any idea of the attire that is usually worn? (day to day and formally)

This really depends on the program and what the program entails. If you're doing clinical shadowing and things like that, definitely bring some good business casual or better clothes. If you're going to be doing a research presentation, you'll probably want a suit.

I would recommend finding people who were in the same program last year or before that and ask them, if possible.

EDIT: On a sidenote, I got into a good program for this summer! Pretty excited (can't really reveal the program since it might reveal my identity).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted and am currently attending the SPUR Program at the University of Oregon. I was also accepted to the CRISP summer program at the Mayo Clinic and offered an interview for a program at Louisiana State. I turned down the Mayo offer because they offered no compensation (I'm currently being compensated $5000 for 10 weeks at U Oregon + room, meals, travel). I also turned down the interview for LSU cause I already commited to U Oregon when I found out. I applied having just finished the first semester of my freshman year at my states flagship research University. I had 2 letters of rec. (one from a professor, another from my PI in the lab I did research for starting fall freshman year), and a 4.0 GPA (3.95 m/s now :( ), many volunteer hours, etc. I've applied to about 8 places in total including Ohio State, Cincinatti childrens hospital, Clemson, Sanford Institute in South Dakota), and got into 3, so I had like about a 35% success rate.

My tip is to Just keep on applying! These programs are selective (<10% acceptance) and sometimes, you don't get in not because you're not qualified, but because your interests don't coincide with whats available.

Also, I have a question about what to call this on my resume/ application. Would it be legitimate if I called it an REU, since I found it on the REU site and it is funded mainly by the NSF? I just feel like REU sounds better than SPUR?

Long Time lurker on here! I was accepted to an NIH SIP at the NIA in Baltimore, MD. Johns Hopkins Bayview!

Hey me too! Ill be leaving in a few weeks but still haven't found housing. Ive been looking through craigslist but still came out short. Any advice on where I can look?

Does anybody have any insight on the 2 year Molecular Genetic Technology program at MD Anderson. I am considering doing a second bachelors there and would appreciate any insight on their experience.

Good luck! :)

It's a lot shorter than I anticipated last year. Just be yourself and don't try to memorize any answers but rather be as natural as possible!

Make it conversational and do your best to connect with them in the limited time you have.
What did they ask in the interview? i want to apply this next application cycle

What did they ask in the interview? i want to apply this next application cycle

Wow I dont really remember anymore its been over a year haha. I think they asked like 4 or 5 questions. Off the top of my head I remember:
1. they asked me what my greatest strength and weakness
2. What sparked my interest in the field of public health
3. What do I want to do with my career in the future

The interview was less than 10 mins so make sure that you give good answers but dont sound rehearsed!

Reactions: 1 user
Wow I dont really remember anymore its been over a year haha. I think they asked like 4 or 5 questions. Off the top of my head I remember:
1. they asked me what my greatest strength and weakness
2. What sparked my interest in the field of public health
3. What do I want to do with my career in the future

The interview was less than 10 mins so make sure that you give good answers but dont sound rehearsed!
Can you tell me about the program in general? stuff i wouldn't find on the website preferably. How was it?

I am just finishing up a SURF fellowship at the university of Kentucky. If you have any questions, just ask

Can you tell me about the program in general? stuff i wouldn't find on the website preferably. How was it?
If you are referring to the Columbia program I can't because I didn't get in!:)

I can tell you how the RISE Up program was though

I highly recommend the SPHSP Columbia program to everyone!! It was one of the most amazing and wonderful experiences I have ever had. I met so many amazing people and my entire world was changed in so many ways. Plus NEW YORK CITY is the best!! Message me for info or questions

Hi everyone! Anyone have any tips on the MCHC Rise Up application process or comments about the program in general? I’m super interested in applying this year & I just thought I should ask some of y’all!

hey guys! i'm not sure if anyone will be checking this thread, but I was wondering when the Leadership Alliance Columbia decisions came out last year and when the notification date on the website was (this year it says begins before march 1)? thanks!

Super late, but finally got a solid acceptance! Received a neuroscience fellowship to study at the Virginia Tech Carillon Research/Med School!
How did you apply for this position? I'm still looking for a summer position. Anyone have suggestions on where I can apply that's not to late?

How did you apply for this position? I'm still looking for a summer position. Anyone have suggestions on where I can apply that's not to late?
Looks like research positions have later deadline dates compared to official premed/health programs. I would go the research route and apply to summer medical research opportunities near you or at schools you'd like to go to.

Hello,
I think it is a good idea to get this thread started for the summer research this year. Is there anyone apply for undergraduate research this summer?
Good luck! ;)
Anyone participating in Einstein’s DSSROP program this summer? If so, I’ll see you there!!!