Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From previous threads, it appeared they received 850-900 apps for about 20 spots in 2009. Given that was 8 years ago, I'd imagine the number of applicants skyrocketed relative to that figure. That said, IF a PI is highly interested in you, I'd like to think that a ~20% shot based on that alone (though it may not be an accurate basis) is much better than the ~2% chance otherwise.

Well, good luck to all. If I don't get in, there's always research at my home institution.

Btw, since it seems like there's a few Columbia Amgen Scholars applicants on here, did anyone else notice or find it weird they changed the third "essay" prompt?

Did they? I applied to so many last year, I honestly don't remember what it used to be.

Members don't see this ad.

I swear that if you looked at the application around November when it first came out, the original prompt was "Describe what you would like to be doing at work in 20 years, if you could have your ideal job. Specify 2 or 3 example tasks that you would perform during a normal work day. (Limit: 500 characters, about 75 words.)" Then sometime around December it got changed to "Describe what science related finding in the last 10 years that inspired you. (Limit: 500 characters, about 75 words.)"

I swear that if you looked at the application around November when it first came out, the original prompt was "Describe what you would like to be doing at work in 20 years, if you could have your ideal job. Specify 2 or 3 example tasks that you would perform during a normal work day. (Limit: 500 characters, about 75 words.)" Then sometime around December it got changed to "Describe what science related finding in the last 10 years that inspired you. (Limit: 500 characters, about 75 words.)"
Ahh, I remember that now.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bumbler how are you getting interest emails? I sent well over 70 personalized emails over 40-50 hours, and still no luck..could you maybe float some of those PI names my way? :(

@sacredhearts what field of research are you looking at? I think the field really matters in this situation. Certain Institutes are likely more willing/able to take summer interns than others.

cGPA 3.86
sGPA 3.80
Currently a sophomore
No research experience, but I am a supplemental instruction leader and TA for chemistry along with a few other EC's
I believe my letters of rec are pretty solid

I applied to:
TGen
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
University of Texas, Southwestern
University of Michigan

Thoughts on my chances?
I also applied to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln...I have heard these programs like applicants who tutor/TA as it shows an interest in academic science and medicine.

Anybody else got updates to LA? My application went from the "your application is under review blah blah blah" to another different page saying I had made it past the first round. Did anybody else get this update?

Now the page says:
Your application is complete and has met the Leadership Alliance eligibility requirements. It is now being reviewed by the summer coordinators at the three research sites that you selected. This does not guarantee that you will be offered placement in a summer program.

On a related note, I chose Cornell Gateways, Yale and Penn as my options. Does anybody know when these programs typically get back to their applicants? Thanks!

I am a non-graduating senior with almost 4 semesters of research experience.
3.98 GPA
No publications but currently working on one
I have presented at numerous conferences both local and national
I applied to Mayo, University of Minnesota LSSURP, Stanford AMGEN, Harvard AMGEN, University of California- San Francisco, University of Nebraska- Lincoln, University of Cincinnati Medical Center, Johns Hopkins, NIH, and Washington University.
Anyone else applying to these?

Last edited:
Anybody else got updates to LA? My application went from the "your application is under review blah blah blah" to another different page saying I had made it past the first round. Did anybody else get this update?

Now the page says:
Your application is complete and has met the Leadership Alliance eligibility requirements. It is now being reviewed by the summer coordinators at the three research sites that you selected. This does not guarantee that you will be offered placement in a summer program.

On a related note, I chose Cornell Gateways, Yale and Penn as my options. Does anybody know when these programs typically get back to their applicants? Thanks!

@kitts95 Primarily NCI since that's where my background is but I would go literally anywhere

@kitts95 Primarily NCI since that's where my background is but I would go literally anywhere
I suggest you look at this link: https://irp.nih.gov/our-research/principal-investigators/focus

Under the Cancer Biology page, there are a ton of PIs in different Institutes that are all doing research related to cancer. If your background lies in cancer biology research, these PIs are likely the most relevant for/to you.
Hopefully, that gives you more options; if you want any more help or advice message me directly and I can send you drafts of the emails I sent PIs after I submitted my application to NIH SIP!

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody apply to GSK (memorial Sloan Kettering)? Freshman here but I worked with a msk PI for 4 years so fingers crossed :3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn I see all these names of programs that I can't apply to as a freshman . Still waiting for GSK/Sloan Kettering :(

Damn I see all these names of programs that I can't apply to as a freshman . Still waiting for GSK/Sloan Kettering :(

Honestly, if you get in to GSK/Sloan, you're not missing out on anything. Think of it as further augmenting your app for programs like Amgen.

Rooting for you!

Fyi to others, Google Play has an app where you can earn credit by filling out surveys. I would recommend doing so to get the SDN app. Soooo useful. Going back and forth between the two 2017 threads is no longer a hassle.

Sent from my SM-G925T using SDN mobile

Applying to:
Janelia Scholars Program
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Program
UCLA Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
Caltech Amgen
Stanford Amgen
MIT Amgen
Mayo Clinic SURF

Stats: 3.99 GPA, 8 pubs (one of which is published in Nature Neuroscience), currently nominated for the Goldwater Scholarship, several poster sessions with two awards, 3 past research scholarships, and meaningful experience with basic science, epidemiological, and clinical research. Also 2 extremely strong LORs.
I'm also applying to Mayo Clinic and Stanford AMGEN... good luck!

hey all, does anybody know when NYU Sackler SURP and Cornell MGB REU decisions come out? Or has anybody gotten notified about either one yet?

Reactions: 1 users

Now the page says:

I have the same exact message too, but I didn't get a message saying I had made it past the first round...did you get an email saying so? Or is it implied in what you just bolded?

hey all, does anybody know when NYU Sackler SURP and Cornell MGB REU decisions come out? Or has anybody gotten notified about either one yet?
NYU was at least by February 25th last year. I'm not sure about Cornell. Hope that helps!

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

I have the same exact message too, but I didn't get a message saying I had made it past the first round...did you get an email saying so? Or is it implied in what you just bolded?
I just assumed it was implied! I think other people have reported that the portal looks different for those whose applications did not meet the eligibility requirements. So I'm taking what you and I can see on our portals as a good sign! Now the acceptance rate is probably marginally better than it was before.

I just assumed it was implied! I think other people have reported that the portal looks different for those whose applications did not meet the eligibility requirements. So I'm taking what you and I can see on our portals as a good sign! Now the acceptance rate is probably marginally better than it was before.

Well that's a bit of encouraging news! However, I'm cautiously optimistic.

For an additional tidbit, I applied to Cornell Gateways, Johns Hopkins, and Penn.

Ok, I motion that if a merger is not possible, can we just utilize the other thread ( https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ead-reu-surf-surp-sip-amgen-etc-2017.1227189/ ) only? I don't see any point to continue going back and forth. Yes, pre-med allo may have had more traffic in the past for this topic, but the other thread in research already has more comments and was started long before this thread began.

When I applied, I was unofficially admitted to Cornell's MBG-REU program by the 11th of February and officially by the 18th. First time I applied to UPenn's SUIP (Leadership Alliance program), I heard back on the 15th, I heard back the same day of the deadline the second time I applied.

I applied for both of those as well! NYU SURP says it begins notifying feb 15th, Cornell will have decisions by the end of the month (supposedly in the two weeks following the deadline though). I talked with the director of the Cornell program and he mentioned they are trying to wait and see if they get NSF funding to accept additional students!

Last edited:
I mean, most of people that do these programs DO NOT want to do an MD, so the reason more juniors get in is because they should have more knowledge about biology and more experience than sophomores by that point in their undergrad career.

Last edited:
I mean, most of people that do these programs DO NOT want to do an MD, so the reason more juniors get in is because they should have more knowledge about biology and more experience than sophomores by that point in their undergrad career.
I agree. Didn't think of that.

Last edited:
And for the people who as sophomores already have as much experience?

Sorry, I know what you're saying. I'm just bitter that there's a stark discrepancy between what Amgen's site says is acceptable and what actually goes on.

These programs are just large recruitment programs for graduate schools because the nature of MD and MD/PhD programs and admissions are inherently different from grad school. Premiere MD/PhD programs already get the best recruits because they only accept very few individuals at the very top of the already highly competitive MD candidate pool. So they don't need to advertise through these programs to that demographic especially because they're already getting the best candidates and MD/PhD students are also far more expensive for the school to support. Understandably, they're not going to want to pay more to recruit someone that is already going to be more expensive than a PhD student.

I'm going to post this because not all of you who were curious about getting accepted into more than one program and GPA stats have posted on the other thread.

My freshman year, I applied to 13 programs and got into 1. At the time, I had been in a research lab since the summer before my freshman year through the end of the school year, had a solid LoR from my PI and then probably just a generic one from my advisor, and had a 4.0. To note, I also planned on graduating a year early so I indicated I was a rising junior even though I was going into my 2nd year. They knew I started college in 2014 so it wasn't a surprise to them. (I have since declared a double major and a minor so I have extended my time to 4 years).

Last year I applied to 18 programs and got into 8 (MD Anderson, GSK, DAAD RISE, Vanderbilt, Case Western Reserve, Mt. Sinai, Baylor, and Scripps). At the time, I had a 3.94 GPA, switched labs at my university so had been involved in 2 different disciplines (one which earned me a university award), had a previous summer research experience, and 2 strong LoRs.

Hope this helps! :)

These programs are just large recruitment programs for graduate schools because the nature of MD and MD/PhD programs and admissions are inherently different from grad school. Premiere MD/PhD programs already get the best recruits because they only accept very few individuals at the very top of the already highly competitive MD candidate pool. So they don't need to advertise through these programs to that demographic especially because they're already getting the best candidates and MD/PhD students are also far more expensive for the school to support. Understandably, they're not going to want to pay more to recruit someone that is already going to be more expensive than a PhD student.

I agree. I guess I'm also frustrated that I can't pursue an MD along with a PhD based off what some programs state.

Last edited:
And for the people who as sophomores already have as much experience?

Sorry, I know what you're saying. I'm just bitter that there's a stark discrepancy between what Amgen's site says is acceptable and what actually goes on.

These programs tend to be competitive as it is, even more so than graduate school admissions. The acceptance rate for the programs that I got into was less than 5%, so that lets you gauge the amount of competition that goes on. I do not think that they reason they don't pick MD/Ph.D students is because they are inherently more costly to the university. The fact that other MD/PhD students got in means it is certainly possible to do so. I just think that with the amount of qualified applicants in the pool, it is fairly easy to be rejected when you're also a great applicant, regardless of what degree you are pursuing. Maybe a more senior MD/PhD prospective applicant got in, or maybe the prospective PhD students' apps were VERY strong too. I believe that the "bias" with older students might also be related to the fact that they are applying sooner, so making a good impression on them is more important, in a sense.

I don't think what you're sayin is true at all that the admission committee automatically rejects anyone who states a goal of MD/PhD. I did Amgen last year and met Amgen students from Columbia and there were (even though in minority compared to PhD) quite a few who were going for MD/PhD.

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips on keeping your mind off waiting for research application decision?

Last edited:
Did they state on the app that they wanted to do MD/PhD though? Trust me, I would love to be wrong.

Personally, I put MD/PhD and so did 5 other people at my amgen program site. From my experience meeting people from other amgen sites, they were very open about the fact that they want to do MD/PhD and I don't think most of us would purposely put PhD to avoid certain kind of bias... I'm sure there some kind of bias in schools wanting to take in PhD-tracked students but they don't just automatically reject you if you state you want to do MD/PhD. They mainly look to see if you have the drive and passion to have a research-oriented career.

I thought my comment pretty much covered all my bases. The fact that there might be a bias for older students, and that there must be students that did the Amgen program that stated they wanted to pursue an MD/PhD. Also, I believe the statement less than 5% acceptance rate includes the possible 2% scenario, but you nor I have the data to say a concrete acceptance rate for sure, so I was avoiding making an absolute statement. I don't think the solution is to be dishonest, that just doesn't sound right at all and could make people question your integrity. Sometimes things don't go your way and that sucks, just don't air your frustation at other people trying to be helpful.

Last edited:
If you can find more than 1 person from Columbia who got in stating MD/PhD on the app itself within the past 4 years (I emphasize "know", not what it seems like), then I'm all ears and extremely interested. I really am. I'll shut up cause then I'll know I've been had.

Actually, regardless, I honestly don't see any pt dragging this out. If you say so, then you say so, alright.

I think regardless of whether you put PhD or MD/PhD, some of these programs are just insanely competitive and when you don't get something, it is not necessarily that you're not as amazing as the other person. sometimes there are two equally amazing people but they just only have the room for one. I won't be so quick as to point fingers and politics/bias is just part of life and the important thing is to persevere in the science you want to do and keep pushing. I have had SO MANY rejections and it is frustrating and it hurts, but the greatest piece of advice I've received in going through any kind of applications is to focus on yourself and not compare yourself to others as much... If you're gonna get in somewhere, you'll be accepted because of who you are and what you've accomplished fits in with the institution and not because you are "better" than another person... if that made any sense, just my two cents. Just keep pushing!

I thought my comment pretty much covered all my bases. The fact that there might be a bias for older students, and that there must be students that did the Amgen program that stated they wanted to pursue an MD/PhD. Also, I believe the statement less than 5% acceptance rate includes the possible 2% scenario, but you nor I have the data to say a concrete acceptance rate for sure, so I was avoiding making an absolute statement. I don't think the solution is to be dishonest, that just doesn't sound right at all and could make people question your integrity. Sometimes things don't go your way and that sucks, just don't air your frustation at other people trying to be helpful.

Definitely agree that we shouldn't be dishonest on our application just because that MIGHT give us an edge. This is about you choosing somewhere that's a good fit for you just as much as about the institution picking you... If you have to be dishonest to get in somewhere then I'm not sure that's quite the place for you. Especially true for MD/PhD apps, where you will spend 7-8 years of your life...

Which is better? The Mayo program or the NIH program?

Last edited:
does NYU still have the application fee thing, they did last year and i found that ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 users
^ It is ridiculous. One would think that considering other programs don't charge fees, they would have dropped it sooner to stay relevant.

Last edited: