Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN etc.) 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does NYU still have the application fee thing, they did last year and i found that ridiculous.
They do... $20 that I probably could've just thrown out a window for the same effect... :/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@Ismet could you help us merge the 2 threads together into preallo? The last couple years they have gotten some good traffic and that definitely helped me last year and I feel like it would help other premeds as well.

Reactions: 1 users
They do... $20 that I probably could've just thrown out a window for the same effect... :/

Its the only program that I know of that actually charges a fee... also one of the few programs that actually welcomes MD-only track students in applying, although I think that's just to attract a bigger crowd and get more money...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh dear. I think the stress, frustration, and anxiety has gotten to all of us. We should try to forget about it since from now on, there is nothing under our control. :(
I say this, but I know that I'll be bummed when I get rejected by GSK.

Thats so unfair....

Last edited:
Why is it assumed that an MD has no place in research? I know the discussion is mainly focused on PhD and MD/PhD applicants, but the importance of MD's in clinical and public health research is understated here. Some programs had a checkbox for students wishing to pursue only an MD and I think there should be no clear disadvantage to that.

Just checked SR-EIP portal and I got an update to Cornell Weill Gateways: "Closed with no offer." I'm not mad about this at all, though, since I'm a rising senior and I was stupid enough to apply to that program even though they only accept rising sophomores (and juniors, I think?). I only realized the restriction after I submitted the app LOL. But it does show that their office is working through applications for anybody else who applied there!

Still waiting (with my heart in my throat) to hear back from Yale and Penn. Wishing everybody who applied the best of luck!

do you all have any thoughts on questions that could be asked for a med school clinical and translational research program interview? I have included what I have so far below, but would love more input from you all. Thanks so much! Also tagging @Bioenchilada since you are a research guru:cool:

-Greatest Strength
-Greatest Weakness
-Time when you failed and or Time when you faced adversity.
-Motivations for pursuing medicine, what you want to do in the future in your career?
-Why should we pick you above everyone else.

do you all have any thoughts on questions that could be asked for a med school clinical and translational research program interview? I have included what I have so far below, but would love more input from you all. Thanks so much! Also tagging @Bioenchilada since you are a research guru:cool:

-Greatest Strength
-Greatest Weakness
-Motivations for pursuing medicine, what you want to do in the future in your career?

My programs were mainly for PhD-oriented students and did not have an interview component, sorry. :(
Also, PhD interview questions are VERY different from medical interviews.

HOWEVER, I would include questions about your research interests and your research preparations. How do you know you are prepared for this program? (Etc...)

-Greatest Strength
-Greatest Weakness
I would think you covered the usual questions for interviews.

Some other potential questions:

1. Conversely to why you over others, why this program over the others you could have applied to or chosen?
2. Bioethical research questions i.e. should the 14 day rule for stem cell research be revised now that we have extended the time an embyro can survive in culture? (Maybe not that specific, but bioethics in general)
3. Thoughts on future hot areas of research
4. What do you like to do outside of lab

Sent from my SM-G925T using SDN mobile

My programs were mainly for PhD-oriented students and did not have an interview component, sorry. :(
Also, PhD interview questions are VERY different from medical interviews.

HOWEVER, I would include questions about your research interests and your research preparations. How do you know you are prepared for this program? (Etc...)

No problem, thanks for the input! I hope grad school is treating you well :)

I would think you covered the usual questions for interviews.

Some other potential questions:

1. Conversely to why you over others, why this program over the others you could have applied to or chosen?
2. Bioethical research questions i.e. should the 14 day rule for stem cell research be revised now that we have extended the time an embyro can survive in culture? (Maybe not that specific, but bioethics in general)
3. Thoughts on future hot areas of research
4. What do you like to do outside of lab

Sent from my SM-G925T using SDN mobile

Thank you, I really appreciate your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI-Michigan State SROP and Michigan State Plant Genomics Started sending out acceptances last week

Anyone get into the Fred Hutch SURP?? My friend was telling me they sent out decisions this week.

Good luck to everyone throughout this process! I'm in the middle of sending my final apps out...fingers crossed!

I'm going to post this because not all of you who were curious about getting accepted into more than one program and GPA stats have posted on the other thread.

My freshman year, I applied to 13 programs and got into 1. At the time, I had been in a research lab since the summer before my freshman year through the end of the school year, had a solid LoR from my PI and then probably just a generic one from my advisor, and had a 4.0. To note, I also planned on graduating a year early so I indicated I was a rising junior even though I was going into my 2nd year. They knew I started college in 2014 so it wasn't a surprise to them. (I have since declared a double major and a minor so I have extended my time to 4 years).

Last year I applied to 18 programs and got into 8 (MD Anderson, GSK, DAAD RISE, Vanderbilt, Case Western Reserve, Mt. Sinai, Baylor, and Scripps). At the time, I had a 3.94 GPA, switched labs at my university so had been involved in 2 different disciplines (one which earned me a university award), had a previous summer research experience, and 2 strong LoRs.

Hope this helps! :)

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile
Did you apply for the regular Mt. Sinai Internship or the International one ?

I saw that Mayo accepts around 120 students.

Last edited:
Mayo is amazing. Apparently, if you go there for MD/PhD and you've done SURF there, it counts as a rotation
That would be awesome! Did you do a SURF there?

That would be awesome! Did you do a SURF there?
Not previously, I applied this cycle though. So we'll see.

On a separate note, did anyone apply to Iowa SUMR, they said they would try to send out notification this week.

Got rejected from Cornell MGB REU today! If anybody was wondering, here is the email:

"Thank you for your interest in and application to the Cornell Molecular Biology & Genetics REU program. We had an unusually high number of applicants this year, only a few of which we are able to support in our small summer program. Unfortunately, you are no longer in consideration for our program this summer.

I hope you will think about applying again next year and we wish you all the best in your future studies."

On a separate note, has anybody heard from Yale or Penn SR-EIP this year? Still waiting on responses for both of them...

I saw that Mayo accepts around 120 students.
Applied to Mayo, nothing heard yet; As a matter of question (I am a first-time applicant to summer programs in the US), are you expected to personally contact the PIs, or this is looked down upon?

Applied to Mayo, nothing heard yet; As a matter of question (I am a first-time applicant to summer programs in the US), are you expected to personally contact the PIs, or this is looked down upon?

I'm a first timer too for these programs. As far as I am concerned, you should only reach out to PI's if the program specifically sais to do so. Some programs specifically say not to, but the only one I have come across that I applied to saying you had to email PI's was NIH. If the website doesn't say you shouldn't, though, it probably couldn't hurt. I shadowed a guy at Mayo in Rochester and I reached out to him.

This will be by third year interning somewhere (Fingers crossed). You have to put yourself in the shoes of PI's not only are they going through a ton of applications, but are running labs and teaching. If you wanted to contact them the best time would have been in the winter or late fall.

This will be by third year interning somewhere (Fingers crossed). You have to put yourself in the shoes of PI's not only are they going through a ton of applications, but are running labs and teaching. If you wanted to contact them the best time would have been in the winter or late fall.
I understand this; I was more asking for the future - in Eastern Europe, you are not supposed to talk PIs, but in America everything is different;

I just got this email from RISE @ Rutgers
"We are delighted that you applied to the RiSE at Rutgers summer research program. Your credentials are strong, and your interests are a good fit for Rutgers. Our Admissions Committee is actively considering you and expects to complete application review by the first week of March."
Can't tell if they send this email to everyone or...

I just got this email from RISE @ Rutgers
"We are delighted that you applied to the RiSE at Rutgers summer research program. Your credentials are strong, and your interests are a good fit for Rutgers. Our Admissions Committee is actively considering you and expects to complete application review by the first week of March."
Can't tell if they send this email to everyone or...
Got the Same

@bumbler how are you getting interest emails? I sent well over 70 personalized emails over 40-50 hours, and still no luck..could you maybe float some of those PI names my way? :(
I'm in dietetics, which isn't very common. It's all about the tags that you put in your application. Mine were all nutrition- and epidemiology-related.

Did anyone else get an email from MIT-Amgen that their application was incomplete from a portal glitch and had to send them the other Amgen sites you applied to? Just thought it was a weird email..

No, that's really weird... I was actually gonna email them tomorrow to tell them I have a competing offer already. So they're not considering your application?

No, they are. The program coordinator thanked me for a quick reply and said he forwarded my now complete application to the selection committee. I just thought it was weird because that question was like the least important part of the application. I think everytime I entered the other Amgen sites I was applying for, it erased them because of the application form glitch. I just think it's so weird because one of my applications (I want to say it was one of the Amgens) said that that question had zero effect on your application. It makes me wonder what they actually use it for since they NEEDED that information for my application to be considered even though it was a glitch on their end.

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Not previously, I applied this cycle though. So we'll see.

On a separate note, did anyone apply to Iowa SUMR, they said they would try to send out notification this week.
hey I applied to SUMR, have you heard anything back from them?

hey I applied to SUMR, have you heard anything back from them?

Not yet, when I emailed them last week they said they're hoping to meet this week and send out acceptances...

Got rejected from Cornell MGB REU today! If anybody was wondering, here is the email:

"Thank you for your interest in and application to the Cornell Molecular Biology & Genetics REU program. We had an unusually high number of applicants this year, only a few of which we are able to support in our small summer program. Unfortunately, you are no longer in consideration for our program this summer.

I hope you will think about applying again next year and we wish you all the best in your future studies."

On a separate note, has anybody heard from Yale or Penn SR-EIP this year? Still waiting on responses for both of them...

Was that the program through leadership alliance ?

Still silence on my end over here. Waiting on about 9 programs. GIVE ME ONE ACCEPTANCE

Reactions: 1 users
Still silence on my end over here. Waiting on about 9 programs. GIVE ME ONE ACCEPTANCE
SAME! Applied to 11 programs and not a single email or change in application status. The anticipation is KILLING ME. Now I have to wait the whole weekend. Next week is our week.

Don't sweat too much (I know, easier said than done), most don't start sending out their first wave of acceptances until the last week of Feb and first week of March. I honestly think the only reason Rockefeller has already started sending out acceptances is because they compete with NYU, MSKCC, Weill-Cornell, Columbia, and Einstein for the relatively same pool of applicants and they have to try to scoop up people before the others do.