Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got rejected from Columbia SREIP. My portal was updated today at 12 PM. it says: Closed with no offer.

This was my 2nd choice out of the three. No news from Harvard (#1) or UChicago (#2).

Members don't see this ad.

Officially rejected from Yale SR-EIP. My portal updated yesterday, April 2nd, at 11:56 am. This was my first choice, still waiting to hear from #2 Harvard and #3 UPenn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply to UCI SURF and if so did u hear back yet? I emailed them last week and called them too but I didn’t get a response.

Rejected from Mount Sinai SURP. That's all of them except for Penn SUIP, not feeling too hopeful at this point.

I know a lot of people were interested in hearing about Pitt SURP. I received an email offering me a spot on their waitlist yesterday... I googled the person who sent it and she was involved in the immunology dept so I think I was only waitlisted for the Immunology subprogram. I asked them not to hold my spot on the waitlist because I committed to SUPERS@PENN already My friend got a straight rejection yesterday so I assume everyone has heard back by now but that's just a little update in case anyone was interested

rejected from University of Arizona SRI (Summer Research Institute) this morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of people were interested in hearing about Pitt SURP. I received an email offering me a spot on their waitlist yesterday... I googled the person who sent it and she was involved in the immunology dept so I think I was only waitlisted for the Immunology subprogram. I asked them not to hold my spot on the waitlist because I committed to SUPERS@PENN already My friend got a straight rejection yesterday so I assume everyone has heard back by now but that's just a little update in case anyone was interested

I was offered a spot in UPitt SURP I believe on March 20th for Cell Biology and Physiology department. Totally wasn’t expecting that since I applied literally on the last day right before the application closed.

Reactions: 1 user
Rejected from Rockefeller

I just feel so discouraged and kind of hopeless because I feel like my applications never get accepted. I've always had pretty good stats but I always seem to fall short on the written portion (or maybe my LOR). I am upset that I suck at essay writing.

Could someone give me some tips in writing a stronger application not just for the summer research programs but just for future reference because I think I'm doing something very wrong. Is it because I don't have a life story that motivates me for research? Is it not enough that I am perplexed by the intricate molecular mechanisms that govern our everyday lives?

Is there a book that I should be reading that will help me write a much more interesting application?

I can also take a look at your essay. :)

I did several summer internships during undergrad and am currently in grad school, so I have a bit of experience when it comes to writing essays for these things.

Lolol well rejected from Stanford SSRP, University of Alabama Chemistry REU, Brown University LA, and Harvard Amgen. Just waiting on NYU Chemical Biology REU, UMD LA, and Tufts LA, but I have a feeling I'm going to be rejected from every program I applied to just like last year. I updated the accepted/waitlisted/rejected list below!

Anyways...I, too am a little discouraged about this application cycle, and I'm trying to reflect on my weaknesses so that I can improve for next application cycle. As expressed by other people, I also think my greatest weakness is my personal statement. I struggle a lot with writing personal statements in general and articulating my research and career goals--especially since my interests are so varied! I was wondering if there are any good resources to use that can help guide me in writing personal statements and expressing my career/research goals. I'm also wondering if there's anything else I should work on in terms of my application, because at this point I'm not even sure anymore. If it helps, my general stats are:

Year: Sophomore
Demographic: Asian, Male, Large research university--but the research I'm interested in is limited at my university)
GPA: 3.87 (I have taken the advanced tracks for all my science courses and overloaded each semester with 6-8 classes each; I'll be taking less coursework next semester to try to bring up my GPA)
Leadership Position: President of 2 clubs, Executive Board member for another, and co-coordinator of Chemistry Engagement program at my university which aims to expose elementary school students to chemistry.
Research: I have 1 year of research experience in a lab at my university and I also did a 12-week research internship over the summer at a different school.
Job experience: Undergraduate advisor
LOR's: One from my chemistry professor and another from my mentor at my summer research position (Decent letters. I was in my chemistry professor's office hours a lot so she knew how passionate I was about chemistry. My mentor at my summer research position also really liked me and he offered to write me an LOR way before I asked him).

Feel free to PM me if you have any advice. Thanks!

Accepted
Albert Einstein SURP- kiki333 (3/8)
Baylor College of Medicine SMART - _wallflower_(2/26)
Brown University w/ Leadership Alliance - beachwaterPR (2/28)
Case Western SURP - DD1023 (between 2/12-2/17)
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory URP - asdfghjkl123 (2/20)
Columbia Amgen - yjkimnada (2/23)
Columbia University (Leadership Alliance) - Kathellene (2/28)
Harvard HMS DBMI Bioinformatics Summer Institute - aew1996 (2/16)
Harvard Stem Cell Institute Internship Program - yjkimnada (2/23)
Houston Methodist SURI - cerealguy (2/28)
IOWA SUMR - whostolemypipette (3/1), manivharat (3/2)
Johns Hopkins BioREU - dejosco (2/28)
Johns Hopkins SIP- Basic Sciences Institute - thekindflower123 (2/23)
Johns Hopkins SIP- Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine- SilverScalpel14 (2/23)
Leadership Alliance - (University of Miami) - dh345 (2/23)
Leah Menshouse Springer Summer Opportunities Program at Siteman Cancer Center - parolinat (2/26)
Mayo Clinic SURF - BlotoftheNorth (2/8), JC7878 (2/19), KiwiSpice (2/13), RNARNARNA (2/27), asdfghjkl123 (2/15), TheRealBatmanMD (2/28)
Massachusetts General Hospital SRTP - nolandancegirl (2/27), DoctorMelanin (2/28)
MIT MSRP in Bio/Neuro - Narp2251 (2/9)
MD Anderson CPRIT-CURE - superchamp14(2/16)
Memorial Sloan Kettering Summer Program - mdalltheway321 (2/28), asdfghjkl123 (2/28)
MCW SPUR- vermillionfighter (4/3)
MSK Computational Biology Summer Program - aew1996 (2/16)
Mount Sinai SURP - moulmo (2/9)
NIH AMGEN - kmmd2018 (3/1)
NIH's BESIP (Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program) - Mekhmeh (2/26)
NIH SIP (NIA) - BlotoftheNorth (2/14)
Northwestern SROP (Feb 14) - kiki333 (2/14)
Northwestern University via Big Ten SROP - beachwaterPR's friend (2/28)
NYU SOM Sackler Institute SURP in the Biomedical Sciences - RNARNARNA (3/16)
Pasteur Foundation Undergraduate Internship Program - RNARNARNA (3/1)
Penn State SURIP - thekindflower123 (2/23)
Penn SUMR- Chromium Surfer 3/22
Penn USSP - ckckckckck 3/21
Pitt SURP - amethyst131 (3/5), TraderJoe1 (3/7)
The Scripps Research Institute SURF - 99731mj (2/24)
Rockefeller SURF - neuro_ramsey (the week of 2/19), _wallflower_ (2/28)
Rutgers University RISE - 99731mj (1/31), lex_premed (3/19)
Rutgers University SURF - BiotechBeotch (3/6)
SUPERS@PENN - Narp2251 (2/27)
Tri-Institutional CBSP - asdfghjkl123 (2/28)
UAB Summer in Biomedical Sciences (UAB SIBS) - cerealguy (2/28)
UCONN SRFP - noladancegirl ("a few weeks ago [from 2/28]")
UCSF SRTP- TheRealBatmanMD (2/28)
UMiami SURF - TraderJoe1 (3/6)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor REU - wafet96 (2/17)
University of Michigan SMART- wannabe_obgyn (3/8)
University of Nebraska Medical Center- MD/PhD SURP - JHUBlueJay19 (3/16)
University of Nebraska Medical Center - SURP - Narp2251 (2/21)
Upstate Med SURF-PS program- wannabe_obgyn (3/5)
U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research Summer Internship - lcg98 (2/13)
USC Keck Bridging the Gaps Program- SilverScalpel14 (3/16)
UT Southwestern SURF - Kathellene (2/28)
UTSW - Stem Cell - imwiththehomiesrightnow (2/28)
UTSW - QP-SURF - neuro_ramsey (3/1)
UVA SRIP - TotallyUncertain (2/15), Body Corpus (2/19)
Vanderbilt MSTP (Leadership Alliance SR-EIP) - marlie (3/15)
Vanderbilt UCRIP - yahneeks (2/13), SilverScalpel14 (2/13)
Wadsworth Institute (NY State Dept. of Health) REU - liketb12 (2/27)
Weill Cornell ACCESS - neuroeagle (2/21), liketb12 (3/5)
WUSTL Amgen - Narp2251 (3/1)
WUSTL BioMedRAP - thekindflower123 (3/8)
Yale BioMed SURF - Gbarron (3/2), liketb12 (3/6)

Preliminary Offer/Interview
Columbia Amgen - sophhhhhhh123 (1/17)
CURE Program at Dana-Farber/Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC) - liketb12 (2/26)
NIH SIP (NIA) - BlotoftheNorth (2/7 & 2/9)
Northwestern Undergraduate Medical Internship Program - yahneeks (1/26)
Pasteur Foundation Undergraduate Internship Program - RNARNARNA (2/23)
St. Jude POE Program- bratalat (2/15)
UPenn SUMR - Chromium Surfer 3/4, xxpathtomedxx 3/2

Waiting
Boston University SURF
Boston STaRS
Cincinnati Children's SURF
Cincinnati SURP
Columbia Amgen
Columbia SPHSP
CRISSP (Children's Healthcare of Philadelphia)
DAAD
Dana Farber CURE
Gerstner Sloan Kettering SURP
Harvard Amgen
Harvard HSCI
Harvard Immunology
Harvard (Leadership Alliance)
Harvard SEAS REU
Icahn School
Johns Hopkins BioREU
Johns Hopkins SIP
MCW SPUR
MIT
MD Anderson SURP
MGH SRTP
NIH Amgen Scholar
NIH STEP-UP NIDDK
Northeastern Dept. of Biology REU
NY Medical College (STAR)
NYU (Leadership Alliance)
Princeton University
Rutgers NeuroSURP
Rutgers University RISE
Stanford SSRP Amgen
UC Berkeley Amgen
UChicago PSOMER
UChicago CAMP II
UNC SURE-REU
UPenn SINGH Nanotechnology REU
UPenn SUIP
UPenn SUMR
UPenn SUPERS
UPenn UCSP
UPenn (Leadership Alliance)
UTokyo Amgen
U of M Cardiovascular SURF
UVA SRIP
UVA (Leadership Alliance)
Penn State SURIP
Penn UCSP
Penn USSP
Pitt SURP
Tufts School of Engineering REU
Tufts University: Building Diversity in Biomedical Sciences
Vanderbilt MSTP
Wake Forest Summer Scholars
Weill Cornell ACCESS
Weill Cornell TRAVELERS Program
U of Wisconsin Madison SIGNALS
WUSTL IPH
Yale University (Leadership Alliance)
Yale BioMedical SURF

Rejected
Weill Cornell Gateways to Laboratory (Leadership Alliance) - lex_premed, liketb12 (2/8)
Weill Cornell Access - lex_premed (3/20)
NIH Amgen Scholar - sophhhhhhh123 (2/10), manivharat (3/1)
Berkeley Amgen's - jackkkkkk (2/26)
Thomas Jefferson Biomedical Sciences Summer Research Program - BiotechBeotch (2/28)
JHU Basic Science Institute- manivharat (3/1), SilverScalpel14 (2/23)
Hopkins SIP for the public health division - (2/28) Chromium Surfer
University of Michigan CaRSIP- (3/1) wannabe_obgyn, Green_Goose
MGH SRTP- Chromium Surfer (3/2)
WashU BP-Endure- manivharat (2/28)
Johns Hopkins INBT- vermillionfighter (3/5), liketb12 (3/5)
Fred Hutch SURP xxpathtomedxx (2/20)
JHU Pulm/Critical Care - Chromium Surfer 3/8
Minnessota LSSURP Pre- MSTP - kiki333 (3/6)
St. Jude POE Program- Kirby Smart (3/11)
NYU SURP Sackler- la_la_la109 (3/16)
Stanford SSRP Amgen - arodramaticity (4/6)
Harvard Amgen - arodramaticity (3/8)
Brown University LA - (4/2)
University of Alabama Chemisry REU (4/7)

If anyone has applied to the Northwestern CURE program, do you know when we are supposed to get decisions back?

If anyone has applied to the Northwestern CURE program, do you know when we are supposed to get decisions back?
Application isn't due until the 15th and it says you should hear back a few weeks later.

I just went to look back at my application and it says the application is closed. Do you know if it was rolling admissions or something?

looking at all of these makes me wish I would have applied to more during undergrad haha. Anyways, I did an REU at UMich, MichState and the NIH SIP. None of these were actually my first choice but I only applied to a handful each time because at the time I really didn't know what was out there. Regardless these experiences are AMAZING (and tbh probably part of the reason I'm now addicted to travel) I learned a ton from each and met some truly amazing individuals! Rooting for those of you still waiting!

hoping this will help future applicants waiting to hear:

rejected UW-Madison PREP 4/6
rejected UMich SROP 4/9

Actually, I emailed them and they said they filled all their spots, so if you didn’t hear back, you didn’t get in. Sorry! I didn’t even get to apply.. apparently it was rolling admissions even though it didn’t say that.

I just went to look back at my application and it says the application is closed. Do you know if it was rolling admissions or something?

I honestly have no idea
Actually, I emailed them and they said they filled all their spots, so if you didn’t hear back, you didn’t get in. Sorry! I didn’t even get to apply.. apparently it was rolling admissions even though it didn’t say that.

Really? That sucks that we didn’t even get a rejection email. Guess I have to figure out what I’m going to do this summer

Nice to see another psychology student on here. I was also rejected from UW-Madison PREP and UMichigan. Are there any other schools that you're waiting on? @1sttimehopeful

Solidarity! :) I was also rejected from the University of Arizona SRI and Yale SR-EIP. I'm waiting on:
Northwestern SROP
CIC other SROP schools (mostly interested in Purdue)
Harvard SR-EIP
UPenn SR-EIP
University of Maryland BSOS SRI

Not feeling too hopeful anymore... haha. Best of luck to you.

Solidarity! :) I was also rejected from the University of Arizona SRI and Yale SR-EIP. I'm waiting on:
Northwestern SROP
CIC other SROP schools (mostly interested in Purdue)
Harvard SR-EIP
UPenn SR-EIP
University of Maryland BSOS SRI

Not feeling too hopeful anymore... haha. Best of luck to you.

Looks like we applied to a lot of the same schools! I was also rejected from Yale and am waiting on Northwestern, Harvard, and Maryland. I've called Northwestern and they said they're about halfway through the process so there's some hope. And Maryland said they haven't sent out any decisions yet and will start mid-April.

Looks like we applied to a lot of the same schools! I was also rejected from Yale and am waiting on Northwestern, Harvard, and Maryland. I've called Northwestern and they said they're about halfway through the process so there's some hope. And Maryland said they haven't sent out any decisions yet and will start mid-April.
Thanks for the info. I also applied to Northwestern and Maryland and was assuming they already sent out all acceptances.

Accepted to University of Rochester's Summer Scholars 4/17.

Reactions: 1 users
I was rejected from BU STaRs program on 4/11. I am still waiting to hear back from two programs/internships. Is it wrong to email these two programs asking them about my application status? I have the opportunity to take a course at my college which is primarily research in regenerative biology (4-week intensive course, all laboratory-based) but I don't want to jeopardize my chance of possibly getting into one of these programs. Thoughts?

I was rejected from BU STaRs program on 4/11. I am still waiting to hear back from two programs/internships. Is it wrong to email these two programs asking them about my application status? I have the opportunity to take a course at my college which is primarily research in regenerative biology (4-week intensive course, all laboratory-based) but I don't want to jeopardize my chance of possibly getting into one of these programs. Thoughts?
I've emailed and/or called all of the places I applied to. I don't think it will be a problem as long as you're polite.

Has anyone heard back from the NYU Chemical Biology REU or the Oklahoma State Chemistry REU? I'm planning on emailing soon if I don't hear anything because I'm worried.

Has anyone heard anything more from Northwestern SROP? Emailed them but haven't heard back.

Rejected from Penn SUIP 4/19. That's all of them for me, oh well.

Wow! What an amazing day. After years of lurking (literally), and months of waiting after applying to 13 internships I received an acceptance to UNTHSC SMART Program!!

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted into the 2018 Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates Program at the Rutgers, School of Graduate Studies – Health Science Campus Newark on May 2nd. This program (they abbreviated it as the SGS USRP) is different from the Rutgers RISE and SURP program, so I was wondering if anyone knew about it? Also, they asked me to respond by May 9 (I accepted), but I haven't heard anything from them since. The program starts on June 4, so should I be concerned? Thanks!

(First post here, so sorry if this is in the wrong spot)