Summer Research Application and Acceptance Thread ( SPUR, SURF, SURP, SIP, AMGEN, LA etc.) 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@possiblyidge you've already received offers from Princeton SURP, UTokyo Amgen, Mount Sinai SURP, and PREM-UTEP... What else are you trying to apply to? You can only participate in one summer program. I understand you want to weigh all your options, but applying to more programs for the heck of it when you've already been accepted to multiple is taking up a spot that another applicant who hasn't been accepted to anything yet could potentially fill. Congratulations for getting into all of those programs so far, but the best thing to do is just accept an offer and get excited for the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, @ anyone else lurking on the thread feeling bad about themselves with at least an acceptance, stop feeling sorry for yourself and be grateful you have a program to participate in despite your perceived value for the program (aka prestige) it is still doing research and you're still getting great experience as a scientist.

EDIT: Checked out user's posts instead of believing someone else's post, deleted the message directed to them.

Last edited:
I just received acceptance letter to University of Miami LA SR-EIP through email, but my portal still showed no decision has been made. Is there a click in the system or the portal will not be updated right away?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Amherst21 @TG4M Uh, I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the right person. I looked at @possiblyidge's posts and they havent posted anything about getting into those programs specifically. But maybe I'm wrong and didnt look back far enough or something idk.

Anyways I just got waitlisted to UT Southwestern but I already accepted a research position at my home institution while I was waiting (rats). Good luck to the rest of you still waiting/deciding! Stay positive because you're going to be subjecting yourself to this application and waiting for decisions cycle/purgatory over and over again for the rest of your academic career. Don't psyche yourself out now, you've still got a loooooong way to go, with lots of chances to win and lose. Learn from it and move on.

Reactions: 4 users
@Amherst21 @TG4M Uh, I'm not sure if you guys are talking about the right person. I looked at @possiblyidge's posts and they havent posted anything about getting into those programs specifically. But maybe I'm wrong and didnt look back far enough or something idk.

Anyways I just got waitlisted to UT Southwestern but I already accepted a research position at my home institution while I was waiting (rats). Good luck to the rest of you still waiting/deciding! Stay positive because you're going to be subjecting yourself to this application and waiting for decisions cycle/purgatory over and over again for the rest of your academic career. Don't psyche yourself out now, you've still got a loooooong way to go, with lots of chances to win and lose. Learn from it and move on.
Which program did you apply to? I just got a really glitchy email from QP-SURF CHEMISTRY.

@possiblyidge you didn't hear this from me, but some professors at a few schools will work with people who weren't accepted to the official SURF program and bring them on as a summer worker or something along those lines. I don't think it's common, but I will say that there was one individual at the program I was at last summer who did that.

In my mind, the preferable outcome would be to get a bit of work done in the lab you're working through at your institution. If you're in one, just put in a ton of time, do whatever needs to be done around the lab all summer, and get a good LOR from your PI at the end of it. If you're not in a lab at your institution, see if there's a professor who'd be willing to take you on as a member starting this summer and continuing until you graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
@possiblyidge you didn't hear this from me, but some professors at a few schools will work with people who weren't accepted to the official SURF program and bring them on as a summer worker or something along those lines. I don't think it's common, but I will say that there was one individual at the program I was at last summer who did that.

In my mind, the preferable outcome would be to get a bit of work done in the lab you're working through at your institution. If you're in one, just put in a ton of time, do whatever needs to be done around the lab all summer, and get a good LOR from your PI at the end of it. If you're not in a lab at your institution, see if there's a professor who'd be willing to take you on as a member starting this summer and continuing until you graduate.

Yeah from my experience it seems PIs want undergrads in their labs (as long as they have funding, which is a whole other issue) so we can do their work and somehow contribute to their grant applications (it helps to have students and say something about fostering a mentoring relationship or something idk). If the lab has enough money to cover your housing and living costs (which would probably only be around $4000), they would most likely be willing to take you as an undergrad research assistant without the program title, which I don't really think they know much about or care about anyway.

Yes, my apologies. That person just liked the posts of other people, not post themself.

I just received acceptance letter to University of Miami LA SR-EIP through email, but my portal still showed no decision has been made. Is there a click in the system or the portal will not be updated right away?
Congrats!! The portal was supposed to be updated as well, while accepting them by email, notify the coordinators about it. Sometimes they forget about updating the portal (happened to me last year)

@possiblyidge you've already received offers from Princeton SURP, UTokyo Amgen, Mount Sinai SURP, and PREM-UTEP... What else are you trying to apply to? You can only participate in one summer program. I understand you want to weigh all your options, but applying to more programs for the heck of it when you've already been accepted to multiple is taking up a spot that another applicant who hasn't been accepted to anything yet could potentially fill. Congratulations for getting into all of those programs so far, but the best thing to do is just accept an offer and get excited for the summer.
i think you may be confusing me with one of these other lucky folks. I've received one rejection and a waitlist...

thats pretty awesome! thanks for letting me know

Members don't see this ad :)
I need some advice. Does it look bad if after accepting an offer, I send an email retracting myself because my dream school finally got back to me (I had assumed I had been silently rejected) and offered me a placement? I don't know what to do

I need some advice. Does it look bad if after accepting an offer, I send an email retracting myself because my dream school finally got back to me (I had assumed I had been silently rejected) and offered me a placement? I don't know what to do
Follow your dream! You retracting the offer may open up a place for someone else whose dream school was your second choice. Maybe this isn't the most "politically correct" advice, but I'd say follow your heart. :) good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard back from the Indiana Animal Behavior REU?

I recently did this and it was definitely a hard decision to decide to renege an offer. However, I'm really happy with my final decision. I think you'll be okay if you notify the program that gave you the initial offer ASAP.

EDIT: I do agree with @whostolemypipette. Do not renege if you would like to apply to that school for a PhD or MD/PhD program in the future.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever hear from Berkeley Amgen or Stanford SSRP?
I called Berkeley amgen last thursday and yesterday, basically they're still sending out acceptances so there is still hope. If you call them they will give you your individual status, for me they said I'm in the group that they're still considering sending out acceptances to

I called Berkeley amgen last thursday and yesterday, basically they're still sending out acceptances so there is still hope. If you call them they will give you your individual status, for me they said I'm in the group that they're still considering sending out acceptances to
I also called Berkeley Amgen last week and they told me the same thing, but they also said I'd hear back by last Thursday so I'm not sure what to expect anymore. I don't think calling them again is a great idea for me

I also called Berkeley Amgen last week and they told me the same thing, but they also said I'd hear back by last Thursday so I'm not sure what to expect anymore. I don't think calling them again is a great idea for me
yeah same they said I’d hear back by last friday but... evidently not LMAO. guess we just have to wait/move on

I need some advice, I have to reply to a program by April 1st but have not heard anything back from other programs I applied. How should I email them to inquire the status of my application? Should I mention that I have to make a decision for another program by April 1st?

Current AMCAS applicant here. Not gonna lie, the competition for MD schools (not just the top 25 ones even) has increased appreciably. This year, multiple schools have said that they received more early apps than ever, and from what I've seen, the quality of the applicant pool has gone up considerably. I think there are a few things to make your app stand out compared to all these other highly qualified applicants, and one of them is pre-selection. Another, which you'll work on later, is your personal statement. Mad props to you all vying for these summer research programs, and good luck!

Current AMCAS applicant here. Not gonna lie, the competition for MD schools (not just the top 25 ones even) has increased appreciably. This year, multiple schools have said that they received more early apps than ever, and from what I've seen, the quality of the applicant pool has gone up considerably. I think there are a few things to make your app stand out compared to all these other highly qualified applicants, and one of them is pre-selection. Another, which you'll work on later, is your personal statement. Mad props to you all vying for these summer research programs, and good luck!

What do you mean when you say "pre-selection"?

I need some advice, I have to reply to a program by April 1st but have not heard anything back from other programs I applied. How should I email them to inquire the status of my application? Should I mention that I have to make a decision for another program by April 1st?

I think it's a good idea to reach out to other programs to ask about the status of your application. I would mention that you have to respond to an offer by April 1, but make it clear that their program is your top choice. Keep in mind that may tell you that you won't receive an offer.

Last edited:
So has anyone heard anything from Stanford or WashU about Amgen? Should I be concerned neither of them reached out to me with any information yet?

I'll offer a different perspective from the other two who already responded. Do so at your own risk. If you're MD-only, the risk is rather small since they deal with a lot of applications. If you're considering MD-PhD, the risks go up. A guy at my summer program last year reneged and the MD-PhD program knows his name now so he's pretty much screwed when he applies there.

EDIT: Btw, with regards to actual med school applications, no one really knows the full impact of the traffic rule changes since we're still in the midst of this cycle. But this is the kind of situation that adcoms want to avoid.

Last edited:
Rejected from Columbia Amgen - really nice rejection though.

Spoke to somebody at NYU Langone and they said they would know around March 22, if they'll be sending out more acceptances.

Wow...at least Columbia actually had the courtesy to give you guys a response. To this date, 2 years later, I still have yet to get a rejection notice from them xD

Good luck with your other applications. Rooting for you guys.

@possiblyidge hey, a waitlist from Weill Cornell is hugely impressive. I doubt I could've swung that. I know that it's no huge comfort, but you should be super proud that an institution that prestigious thought highly enough of you to put you on the waitlist. That's a big credit to who you are as an applicant, and your ability to take it all in stride is a credit to you as a person. Good luck this summer, friend. I hope you find something that engages you and helps you enjoy your time off while getting to develop as a person.

Issa no from Yale, Columbia, and Stanford AMGEN (3/21) but I’m chilllllin’

I don't know if any of you are in the same Rutgers Neuro boat as me but they just told me Ill hear from them in 2 weeks. This is after I emailed them about 2 weeks ago. I think my emails are somehow being converted into snail mail.;) I don't know if they're just waiting to send a rejection, I'm waitlisted or they never even finished going through the applications.

Got rejected by Columbia's Amgen and by Marquette's Biomed SSRP :shrug:

I just want the rest of the places I applied to to send me my rejections already, so I can officially start planning what I'm doing this summer lol

Got rejected from every program I applied to again (year 2 of 2). Wish I could say the ride has been nice but it really hasn't. Commence the tiramisu binging! Congrats to everyone who's seen success! Hope your summers are great

Hi, new person here. Has anyone heard anything else from leadership alliance? I haven't gotten any e-mail notifications, and my portal says "no decisions have been made, check back later". I'm assuming I am either on a wait list, rejected without notification, or they just take forever to respond.
I picked Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Brown, all for psychology. I've looked for details from other forums and haven't found much.
Thanks!

@possiblyidge hey, a waitlist from Weill Cornell is hugely impressive. I doubt I could've swung that. I know that it's no huge comfort, but you should be super proud that an institution that prestigious thought highly enough of you to put you on the waitlist. That's a big credit to who you are as an applicant, and your ability to take it all in stride is a credit to you as a person. Good luck this summer, friend. I hope you find something that engages you and helps you enjoy your time off while getting to develop as a person.
means a lot to me. thank you and best of luck to you as well!

Hi, new person here. Has anyone heard anything else from leadership alliance? I haven't gotten any e-mail notifications, and my portal says "no decisions have been made, check back later". I'm assuming I am either on a wait list, rejected without notification, or they just take forever to respond.
I picked Stanford, Vanderbilt, and Brown, all for psychology. I've looked for details from other forums and haven't found much.
Thanks!
I know Brown has sent out their acceptances already. They sent them late Feb. Coming from someone who was silently rejected, I had to reach out the confirm that I was rejected. Best of luck!