Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
# 15 waitlist @ Hopkins and accepted at Mayo.

Members don't see this ad.

I love how we're all sort of stalking this thread...

Did any of you guys apply to Baylor SMART, UT Health, or BRAIN in GA? The last doesn't really have a medical affiliation.

Wow that's actually gonna be very helpful for the future applicants!
I hope so! :)
# 15 waitlist @ Hopkins and accepted at Mayo.
You just got your Mayo acceptance then? Congrats by the way!
I love how we're all sort of stalking this thread...

Did any of you guys apply to Baylor SMART, UT Health, or BRAIN in GA? The last doesn't really have a medical affiliation.
I applied to Baylor. I considered emailing to check on my status but figured I'd rather not risk bothering them just for an update/chance to (maybe) show interest (I already applied so obviously I'm interested...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to Baylor. I considered emailing to check on my status but figured I'd rather not risk bothering them just for an update/chance to (maybe) show interest (I already applied so obviously I'm interested...)

I emailed them yesterday just to make sure they got everything. They said decisions would go out in "the next couple of weeks." Here's hoping!

I've been rejected by Sloan and NYU. Still waiting on ten responses.

Has anybody applied to/heard from Pitt CNUP?

how did you guys find out if you were accepted or rejected by john hopkins for summer internship program (SIP). I checked the website, it doesn't say anything!!!

to all those who have been rejected lately,

Do not be sad or upset. All of you have worked quite hard in your undergraduate schooling and on your applications to these programs. The programs are extremely selective and very few candidates were actually chosen. This does not speak to your skills, abilities, or who you are as a person in any way. You are all still very gifted individuals with much to offer any type of program. your constant posts in this thread show me that you want it much more than your competition. You all are dedicated to say the least and any program, had they given you a chance, would have been deeply impressed by you.

heads up.

:)

Do not be sad or upset. All of you have worked quite hard in your undergraduate schooling and on your applications to these programs. The programs are extremely selective and very few candidates were actually chosen. This does not speak to your skills, abilities, or who you are as a person in any way. You are all still very gifted individuals with much to offer any type of program. your constant posts in this thread show me that you want it much more than your competition. You all are dedicated to say the least and any program, had they given you a chance, would have been deeply impressed by you.

heads up.

Do you write the rejection emails by any chance? :p

rejected from UCLA amgen 3 down around 8 more to go

Good news: I received WHO offers in Morocco, Brazil, and Ecuador; will likely be going to Sao Paulo from August-September.
Bad news: I'm still waiting on a few of my DC apps and I'm actively trying to fight the urge of bribing PIs with my signature double chocolate cookies. Crossing my fingers...

Rejected from MIT Amgen! Boohoo... still waiting on Columbia, Berkeley, UCSD, and WUSTL though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my acceptance call from the Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/ Sloan-Kettering Gateways to The Laboratory Summer Program!!! It was my top choice! I'm spending my summer NYC!! :D

when and where (via email or website) did you guys find out about the acceptance or the rejection to Summer Internship Program(SIP) at John Hopkins University.

Thanks in advance

OMG. I STILL DID NOT RECEIVE ANY EMAIL FROM HOPKINS.
WTH does that mean!! :scared:

i am in the same boat as you.. i checked my email like 30 times today..I can't wait any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am in the same boat as you.. i checked my email like 30 times today..I can't wait any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it makes you feel better, I didn't get any notices yet at all so I'm preeeeeeeeettt sure I got rejected.
Silently that is.
:(

Has anyone heard anything from Harvard's Leadership Alliance programs (Summer Research Opportunities at Harvard and Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program)?

The Leadership Alliance entry for SHURP says notification before March 1st, but I haven't heard anything.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything from Harvard's Leadership Alliance programs (Summer Research Opportunities at Harvard and Summer Honors Undergraduate Research Program)?

The Leadership Alliance entry for SHURP says notification before March 1st, but I haven't heard anything.

A friend of mine applied there and found out he was waitlisted yesterday. I'd follow up with the office if you don't hear back by next Monday.

No word yet from Hopkins, this wait is killing me!!

I think Pitt CNUP comes out mid-March (oh the madness).

I'm still waiting to hear back from Harvard, UCSF,Cinci, Mayo, and/or NIH?

I submitted my application literally only a few hours before it was due, I sent an email to confirm that it was received. Does anybody know if it is a rolling admission at Mayo? Second semester sophomore, I have a 4.0 from UIC (biochem major). I wrote a strong personal statement and I had fantastic letters of recommendation. I haven't heard anything, every single day I check my email frantically. To make things easy,

1. Does Mayo have a rolling admission?
2. How exactly were you contacted, for those who were accepted to Mayo?
3. If I do not get in, will I simply receive no acceptance email?

Thank you all for your help.

Accepted to Mount Sinai SURP, Pittsburgh SURP, Vanderbilt Leadership Alliance, and UPenn Leadership Alliance!

Has any one heard from any CIC programs or USCF/UCB Amgen programs?

I submitted my application literally only a few hours before it was due, I sent an email to confirm that it was received. Does anybody know if it is a rolling admission at Mayo? Second semester sophomore, I have a 4.0 from UIC (biochem major). I wrote a strong personal statement and I had fantastic letters of recommendation. I haven't heard anything, every single day I check my email frantically. To make things easy,

1. Does Mayo have a rolling admission?
2. How exactly were you contacted, for those who were accepted to Mayo?
3. If I do not get in, will I simply receive no acceptance email?

Thank you all for your help.

The PI that selected me called me first to discuss if I was still interested in participating. I was completely taken aback that the PI selected me to be a part of the program. She told me a couple of research projects the Pi is currently pursuing. I told the PI I would be happy to accept the position. A few hours later, I received an email from the coordinator that was an official acceptance to the program.
You have around a week to respond to the letter declaring your intent. I would guess that it would be a rolling basis sent out in batches.
I believe that most of the positions are probably filled by now, as two weeks ago, someone here followed up with the coordinator and she said that half the spots were already filled.
They are also accepting 100-120 this year as stated in the email.
I would think that once all the spots are filled, they will start sending out rejection notices.

I don't think it's due to the lateness of the application, as I sent mines in a few hours before it was due too.

Did anyone else hear back from Sinai yet? and when did you hear back from them?

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. If you don't mind me asking, what do u think were your strong points in your application? GPA/experience/letter?

My GPA was not a strong point. [BLANK]
I barely have a semester of research, I didn't really mention it in my PS. I made sure that my PS made the PI get to know me as a person through my life experiences and such. I thought my PS was the strongest part, along with my two LOR's. I've always been able to build a really great rapport with the professors that have taught me, so even if I did waive my right to see the letter they sent, I am 100% sure it was a strong one.
I see you go to UIC. I know a couple people from there.
Btw, what area of interest in research did you select for Mayo?

Last edited:
I also like to get close to my professors, and one of my letters of recommendation was from my Fellow through the Honors College at UIC who is the director of transplant surgery. I also waived the right to see the letters. Maybe I didn't have what they were looking for in the personal statement, or maybe I just got unlucky. Honestly I don't even remember exactly which area I chose, I would have been happy with nearly any of the areas.

I enjoy UIC, there are many research opportunities and it was fairly easy to make contacts and find opportunities as an undergrad at the college of medicine.

So, do you think it's pretty certain I won't get in at this point?

Thanks again for your reply.

Not sure, they give a week to accept the offer so I'm sure people who haven't received an acceptance from other programs besides Mayo would be taking the chance at the SURF program. I also applied to UIC's Summer research program, along with Loyola's ,and Northwestern's but they haven't gotten back to me yet.
If anything, you can call them and ask about your application status.

heads up.

Thank you :). I needed to read that. I haven't officially been rejected yet, but it seems as though many others have already been accepted and I have heard nothing :(. Things look bleak for me, and to be completely open, it crushes me :(

so far i got an interview for an on-campus research funding program thing, and i'm waiting to hear back from UCSD SURF, UC Berkeley Cal Teach Summer Institute, and Stanford HCOP (which i just submitted)

Accepted to Mount Sinai SURP, Pittsburgh SURP, Vanderbilt Leadership Alliance, and UPenn Leadership Alliance!

Has any one heard from any CIC programs or USCF/UCB Amgen programs?

Mt Sinai sent acceptance letters yesterday? They never send acceptance letters that early...

Mount Sinai actually sent the letter on February 8th, but they require quick responses so I declined

anybody heard of or have anything to say at the pre-med program at st mary's medical center? or the franklin hospital pre-med internship?

Did anyone apply to St. Jude POE? It's definitely my top choice, but as always, the likelihood of acceptance is extreeeemely low : /

Still waiting to hear back from Columbia AMGEN, Mt. Sinai, Einstein, Stowers, Siteman Cancer Center, and the Cell and Molecular Biology program at University of Missouri.

Rejected from NYU yesterday along with the other 1200 :(