Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, I was waitlisted. Do you have any idea when we'll get a definite answer?

Waitlisted to WashU or Stanford Amgen?

Members don't see this ad.

I would really just like to hear back, at this point. The waiting is killing me.

I would take U Pitt!!!

Any specific reasons? Hmm. The thing is meals aren't provided by the program, so I don't know whether I should go to Pitt over UTSW.

Also, I am from the Northeast, and I have also heard that the Texas heat is awful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes exactly, I'm from Arizona and it's horrible in the south over the summer. Take Pitt!!!!!

Well, I didn't get off the waitlist of UTSW. Anyway, I have tried my best. I even emailed the professor and asked her about possible volunteer opportunity in her lab. She didn't reply though, which is also normal and understandable. I will try applying again next summer. I really like the neurorepair lab there.

I think it helps a lot if your recommenders have some connection with the school you apply to.

Does anyone know if the NYU SURP program provide meals for the summer in addition to housing?

Any specific reasons? Hmm. The thing is meals aren't provided by the program, so I don't know whether I should go to Pitt over UTSW.

Also, I am from the Northeast, and I have also heard that the Texas heat is awful.

Nahhh it's not that bad. But then again, I live in Dallas ;) Honestly, I really don't think you could go wrong with either of these schools. They're both awesome and well-respected. I'm sure they both have incredible research programs.

I went to high school in Texas and let me tell you, the heat isn't fun. I'd choose your other option.

Has anyone heard back from Columbia AMGEN?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back from Columbia AMGEN?
I got an acceptance email yesterday, but I had a couple of emails from PI's in early February and a "preliminary offer" in mid February. I have to decide by March 12th.

Has anyone heard from Harvard SHURP or SROH, Princeton MQCB, or AMGEN Stanford or UCSF?

I got an acceptance email yesterday, but I had a couple of emails from PI's in early February and a "preliminary offer" in mid February. I have to decide by March 12th.

Has anyone heard from Harvard SHURP or SROH, Princeton MQCB, or AMGEN Stanford or UCSF?

Nothing from SHURP, Stanford, UCSF (I didn't apply to SROH or Princeton). But UCSF's website says acceptances should start coming out mid-March and Stanford sent an email last week that said they will start notifying people sometime this week.

Last edited:
Sigh... I'm getting more and more discouraged as the waiting goes on. Here's to hoping I get some love from USCF/Berkeley/Columbia/Baylor! (the ones I think are coming out next) :xf:

I got an email from Harvard SHURP...and my heart skipped a couple of beats.
It started off like a rejection letter ( at this point, I'm familiar with how they start), but this is what they said:

"
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for applying to the the SHURP program at Harvard Medical School. We are currently still reviewing all applications, but wanted to let you know that we have received your completed application. We anticipate finishing our review of the applications this week and should be making decisions and notifying admitted applicants next week.
"

So yea...thanks for the fright.

Ya. About the stanford thing i know 2 of my friends got accepted last week, so it seems that they do acceptances and then rejections. On that note I called UPenn and they said that "most of their acceptances have gone out already"

UCSF Amgen will be announced March 15th (just talked to a person there). Anyone else accepted to WashU Amgen program? They kinda put us in an awkward spot requiring that we get back to them so early.

... On that note I called UPenn and they said that "most of their acceptances have gone out already"

I just declined Penn. If they didn't "overbook" then this could mean another seat. :)

Anyone else accepted to WashU Amgen program? They kinda put us in an awkward spot requiring that we get back to them so early.

It was always my first choice so even though I haven't heard back from everywhere yet, I've already accepted WashU. I sent in the form last night. Since I'm just 17, I've never flown anywhere all alone before. It's going to be an adventure. :scared:

It was always my first choice so even though I haven't heard back from everywhere yet, I've already accepted WashU. I sent in the form last night. Since I'm just 17, I've never flown anywhere all alone before. It's going to be an adventure. :scared:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm super excited for WashU, I really love the advisors that were listed.

You could have picked a far worse place to travel to for the first time; St. Louis is a good midwest city with great Italian food!

17?!?! Homeschooled for H.S.??

Also, still nothing from Columbia Amgen. Or 8 other places who claimed they'd send decisions by the first week of march. Perhaps they sent the rejections to the wrong email? ;)

Has anyone heard from Mt. Sinai or Rockefeller again this week yet?

Hello!
Alrighty so I just registered this site, figured it would be a good way to 'mingle' with people of relatively similar aspirations. So I am currently classified as a Sophmore Molecular Biology/ Pre-med major. I applied to JH SIP & Harvard SHURP. Rejected from JH... Still no word on SHURP... I have only a 3.2, but a pretty decent resume.. What are my chances? Or is that gpa a definite no-go for the time being?

With a 3.2? For those programs, your chances are pretty slim. Sorry man.

for those of you who applied to UW Amgen, I called today asking about my status and the lady said she would email me with my status..a few hours later I got my rejection email lol

UPenn posted rejected notices for their summer program through leadership alliance today in case anyone else applied to them through LA. You can see it if you log in and click on placement status.

So I called Mayo today to get an update. The lady just left me a voicemail telling me that they have sent out 95% of their acceptances, but my application passed the initial review and was being considered for final decision later this week. So for anyone else out there holding out for Mayo, there's still a tiny chance! I got accepted to U Michigan Molecular and Integrative Physiology STEP, so I'm very excited about that, but I would love to go to Mayo! Did my shadowing there, and there is no place like it.

I know how you feel. I applied to nine programs so far: NYU SURP, MIT & Columbia Amgen's, Leadership Alliance at Princeton, Yale, and Harvard, Yale CAPLAB (more clinical than benchwork) and UMichigan's Pre-MSTP program. I may apply to another neuroscience one (NYU CNS) but the app isn't due until sometime in March and I had hoped I would hear back before then (positive or negative) from somewhere.

I've heard admissions is a crapshoot, often with more disheartening percentages than med school. I submitted some a few weeks early and some right before the deadline. Traveling to Europe sounds like so much fun! Not too shabby of a backup plan :thumbup:

I feel like there are so many "gunners" out there with incredible stats (SDN is full of them!) that it's easy to get caught up in numbers. There are enough 4.0's with extensive research to fill up programs, but thankfully they take other things into account. I'm just hoping I conveyed what a great fit I would be with each program!

I did Michigan's Pre-MSTP last year and have a lot of good things to say about it. Update?

So I called Mayo today to get an update. The lady just left me a voicemail telling me that they have sent out 95% of their acceptances, but my application passed the initial review and was being considered for final decision later this week. So for anyone else out there holding out for Mayo, there's still a tiny chance! I got accepted to U Michigan Molecular and Integrative Physiology STEP, so I'm very excited about that, but I would love to go to Mayo! Did my shadowing there, and there is no place like it.
I have to wonder if that figure is accounting for declined offers (i.e. they've sent out offers equal to 95% of the spots they have or they've actually got committed participants for 95% of their spots, though I'm guessing the latter :( ).

I have to wonder if that figure is accounting for declined offers (i.e. they've sent out offers equal to 95% of the spots they have or they've actually got committed participants for 95% of their spots, though I'm guessing the latter :( ).

She said that they sent out 95% of their offers, but your guess is as good as mine as to how many of them have accepted them. The fact that I'm still in the running is probably a miracle considering my sub-par stats.

Anyone apply to Purdue SROP or UT health what are the chances of getting into those programs? Oh and how about for Princeton Molec Lab?

She said that they sent out 95% of their offers, but your guess is as good as mine as to how many of them have accepted them. The fact that I'm still in the running is probably a miracle considering my sub-par stats.

It's possible. I also have subpar stats and I got accepted. The groups has about 55 members right now, and the email said they are accepting 100-120 students for the summer. I would estimate around 85+ have accepted by now. They give a week for people to accept or decline though so the admissions would be on a rolling basis from now on. I think it all depends if the researcher is interested in your application. Good luck!

It's possible. I also have subpar stats and I got accepted. The groups has about 55 members right now, and the email said they are accepting 100-120 students for the summer. I would estimate around 85+ have accepted by now. They give a week for people to accept or decline though so the admissions would be on a rolling basis from now on. I think it all depends if the researcher is interested in your application. Good luck!

Ya, I realized that quite a few of people had received their acceptance letters so I called just to make sure I was rejected so I could accept my other offer from Michigan, but I was pleasantly surprised! Congrats on the acceptance, from another person who went in with little hope, it is so rewarding to see other people on this board succeed! I am thrilled with my opportunity at Michigan, but like I said before, I have spent a significant amount of time with Mayo (shadowing, volunteering, etc.) and I would love an opportunity to do research there. It is an incredible place!

For those of you who haven't heard back yet, I wish you guys all the best. People have said this before, but this is definitely one of the most competitive application processes I have ever seen for anything. Even if I hadn't gotten into one, I would still consider this process invaluable in humbling me and teaching me about rejection. I am a decent student, but there are some truly brilliant people out there and I applaud them. I'm glad I went through something like this before applying for Med school because I feel a lot more prepared!

Yeah I'm super excited for WashU, I really love the advisors that were listed.

You could have picked a far worse place to travel to for the first time; St. Louis is a good midwest city with great Italian food!

I love Italian food. I love St. Louis! I have a lot of family there. I like how the cost of living is low ( I spent last summer in Manhattan :eek:) I came very close to selecting WashU as my undergrad. I am considering applying to several midwest MSTPs, so this summer will be helpful for me to know if a big city kid will be happy there.

Are you going to accept?

I still haven't been accepted anywhere yet, only a waitlist and then rejection from NYU Sackler for Leadership Alliance. 3.9 GPA, 1 academic year of research experience, with 2 summers of research (1 through a formal program, 1 as a volunteer).

UTMB is supposed to be releasing decisions on Friday or Monday. Fingers crossed!

Is it a given that acceptance letters go out sooner than rejection letters for ALL programs??

Accepted to the UTMB Summer Undergraduate Research Program! :)