Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from MD Anderson or Med College of Wisconsin SPUR yet? Still waiting....

I called MD Anderson last week though and they said they'd have it out by tomorrow at the latest. Last year though, they gave out a decision around April 15th so you never know.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this is "acceptable," but oh well. I sent out emails to most of the programs that I haven't heard back yet from asking about my status. Most said they would send out decisions in early March. I didn't email the ones who said their decisions would come out in April or the one I'm pretty sure I was silently rejected from.

Hopefully, they view it as interest and not me nagging. :xf:
I'm sure that was fine, unless you just worded it absolutely horribly I can't imagine they would take it as nagging. :) Still rooting for you!

So apparently U Michigan Cardiovascular Center picked 10 people out of more than 300 if you want another stats gettheleadout :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone done Harvard Med's New England Primate Research Center (NEPRC) program? I'd love to hear about your experience and any pros/cons of the program.
Many thanks!
Hello BrownBears,
Congrats, I got into the neprc program as well. Do you have any idea about what your doing for housing?

So apparently U Michigan Cardiovascular Center picked 10 people out of more than 300 if you want another stats gettheleadout :)

I didn't hear anything from them, so I assume I was rejected. Congratulations to you!

I know some people are curious about it, so FYI Einstein sent out a first round of acceptances this weekend... I had a friend just get in!

Yeah... I was definitely not in that first batch lol. I wonder how many people will turn them down? (i.e. how deep they'll have to go into their waitlist?)

Yeah... I was definitely not in that first batch lol. I wonder how many people will turn them down? (i.e. how deep they'll have to go into their waitlist?)

no idea, but I suspect they will have to pick people off the waitlist because they sent notifications out pretty late... or at least later than last year.

I'm going to go ahead and assume rejections from the rest of the programs that I haven't heard from (i.e. leadership alliance programs). Good thing I have a backup research gig and more time to work on my secondaries.... I feel like there would be no way I would finish them all in timely fashion if I was in some big city like San Francisco or New York ;)

I feel like there would be no way I would finish them all in timely fashion if I was in some big city like San Francisco or New York ;)

Yes!:thumbup: I was in Manhattan last summer and ALL my spare time (what little there was) was spent exploring the city. So many museums, restaurants, stores, events!! There's no way you would have done secondaries the way you should. I will be staying home next summer ('13, my cycle) so I will have no distractions.

Has anyone heard from MD Anderson or Med College of Wisconsin SPUR yet? Still waiting....

I was accepted to Medical College of WI on Wednesday. They called to first ask if I'm still available over the summer (they realize they're pretty late in the game with getting out acceptances), and since I am, they offered an acceptance. The director said they had >500 applicants but didn't say how many acceptances they were giving. I think in an email I got from them they said they wanted all placements to be completed by April 2nd.

Thanks!
I was accepted to Medical College of WI on Wednesday. They called to first ask if I'm still available over the summer (they realize they're pretty late in the game with getting out acceptances), and since I am, they offered an acceptance. The director said they had >500 applicants but didn't say how many acceptances they were giving. I think in an email I got from them they said they wanted all placements to be completed by April 2nd.
Mind getting back with the number of participants once you're there then? :)

Updated data...

Summer 2012 Data:

Johns Hopkins Nanobiotech REU
: 12 positions / 700 applicants = 1.7% acceptance rate
Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / 900+ applicants = ≤ 1.9% acceptance rate
UCSD Regen./M.S. BioE. REU: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = ≤ 2.2% acceptance rate
NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
UMich Cardio: 10 positions / 300+ applicants = ≤ 3% acceptance rate
NYU CNS REU: 10 positions / ~300 applicants = ~ 3% acceptance rate
Penn State (Hershey) SURIP: 15 positions / 393 applicants = 3.8% acceptance rate
UW Amgen: ~26 positions / 560 applicants = 4.6% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 5% acceptance rate
UV SNURF: ~10 positions / 200 applicants = > 5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Yale BioSTEP: 24 positions / ~300 applicants = 8% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 8.5% acceptance rate (≤ 23.5% including alternates)
Mayo SURF: 120 positions / 1135 applicants = 10.6% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2012 Data:

URochester SURF: 10-12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Baylor SMART: ~70 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Case Pharmacology SURP: 6 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
MCW SPUR: ??? positions / 500+ applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Summer 2011 Data:

Vandy UCRIP: 14 positions / 700 applicants = 2% acceptance rate
UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UVA SRIP: 30 positions / 400+ applicants = 7.5% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

Columbia NYSTEM: 70-79 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
St. Jude POE: ~12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate

hey sorry i was the one that gave you the uva data that's for this summer not 2011
Ah, I see where you posted it back there. Sorry, I never saw that. The data I have in for 2011 is actually from 2011, but I'll add in your 2012 data. Thanks!

Updated data...

Summer 2012 Data:

Johns Hopkins Nanobiotech REU
: 12 positions / 700 applicants = 1.7% acceptance rate
Columbia Amgen: 17 positions / 900+ applicants = ≤ 1.9% acceptance rate
UCSD Regen./M.S. BioE. REU: 10 positions / 450+ applicants = ≤ 2.2% acceptance rate
NYU Sackler SURP: 30 positions + 20 alternates / ~1250 applicants = 2.4% acceptance rate (4% including alternates)
UMich Cardio: 10 positions / 300+ applicants = ≤ 3% acceptance rate
NYU CNS REU: 10 positions / ~300 applicants = ~ 3% acceptance rate
Penn State (Hershey) SURIP: 15 positions / 393 applicants = 3.8% acceptance rate
UVA SRIP: 30 positions / 670+ applicants = ≤ 4.5% acceptance rate
UW Amgen: ~26 positions / 560 applicants = 4.6% acceptance rate
Cincinnati Children's SURF: 50 positions / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 5% acceptance rate
UV SNURF: ~10 positions / 200 applicants = > 5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13-25 positions / 400-453 applicants = 2.9-6.3% acceptance rate
Johns Hopkins SIP (all divisions): 85 positions / 1146 applicants = 7.4% acceptance rate
Yale BioSTEP: 24 positions / ~300 applicants = 8% acceptance rate
UTSW SURF: 85 positions + ~150 alternates / 1000+ applicants = ≤ 8.5% acceptance rate (≤ 23.5% including alternates)
Mayo SURF: 120 positions / 1135 applicants = 10.6% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2012 Data:

URochester SURF: 10-12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Baylor SMART: ~70 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
Case Pharmacology SURP: 6 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
MCW SPUR: ??? positions / 500+ applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Summer 2011 Data:

Vandy UCRIP: 14 positions / 700 applicants = 2% acceptance rate
UCSD NSF REU: 10 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 2.5% acceptance rate
Mt. Sinai SURP: 13 positions / 400+ applicants = ≤ 3.25% acceptance rate
BU SURF: 20 positions / 500+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UMD/FDA Mol./Cell Bioeng. REU: 10 positions / 250+ applicants = ≤ 4% acceptance rate
UVA SRIP: 30 positions / 400+ applicants = 7.5% acceptance rate

Incomplete 2011 Data:

Columbia NYSTEM: 70-79 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate
St. Jude POE: ~12 positions / ??? applicants = ??? acceptance rate

Here is some more!

Wadsworth REU 340 for 10 spots (2012)
Vienna Bio Center 1200 for 24 spots (2012)
CSHL 880 for 25 spots (2012)
JAX 550, 175 are placed on the waitlist, 35 spots, not sure how many are taken off the waitlist (2011)
EPFL 633 for 25 spots (2012)

Members don't see this ad :)
freshman, rejected from the surf at my local institution. 200 apps for 80 spots. i must really suck, no acceptances so far. waiting on two more i think.

I got into UW Amgen as a UW student. And from what I understand all the slots are filled now, so if you have not heard back, sorry guys.

So did anyone get Sinai or AE?

It is not wise for freshmen to apply for any of these.

So did anyone get Sinai or AE?

It is not wise for freshmen to apply for any of these.
I called Mount Siana this morning, and they told me that the letters will be send out this week. I am assuming that almost all of them are rejection letters.

Does anyone know about the CUNY SURP? I'm trying to get info. on it, but the website doesn't say much.

Accepted to my state med school's clinical research program! This and their SURF I was accepted to were my two "safety" programs, as it were. Good to know I had well-placed faith in them, but also happy that I will be able to offer my position to another applicant, as I will obviously be declining. :)

Anyone here from MUSC's SURP?

Kinda getting nervous here :(

Can't decide whether to accept CUNY SURP or wait for Mt.Sinai and Rochester. I doubt I'll get Mt.Sinai, since they already sent out acceptances, but I think I still have a chance at Rochester.

But CUNY SURP is in the city, and it looks like a great program as well.

Anyone not hear back from Mt.Sinai at all? I thought it was a rejection but they didn't send me a rejection email. But I didn't get a waitlist email either....maybe my application never got complete. :oops:

I guess it will be an AMGEN summer for me after all... just not through their summer programs haha! I just got an internship offer for a lab at the Thousand Oaks headquarters!

I guess it will be an AMGEN summer for me after all... just not through their summer programs haha! I just got an internship offer for a lab at the Thousand Oaks headquarters!

Negotiate :smuggrin:

Can't decide whether to accept CUNY SURP or wait for Mt.Sinai and Rochester. I doubt I'll get Mt.Sinai, since they already sent out acceptances, but I think I still have a chance at Rochester.

Anyone not hear back from Mt.Sinai at all? I thought it was a rejection but they didn't send me a rejection email. But I didn't get a waitlist email either....maybe my application never got complete. :oops:

why don't you call Rochester and ask them if they can give you their decision because you have been accepted at another program but idk say something like Rochester is your number 1 choice and ya.

I didn't hear back from sinai, either. I just assume I was rejected.

Has anyone been accepted into REG Cincinnati SURF?

why don't you call Rochester and ask them if they can give you their decision because you have been accepted at another program but idk say something like Rochester is your number 1 choice and ya.
Thanks for the advice, I really wanted to do that, but I could only talk to the secretary. However, I just accepted the offer to CUNY, and am uber psyched.

I thought about it, and realized I would prefer spending a summer in New York City than Rochester. :D
I just hope I didn't ruin my shot at getting a good lab by making CUNY wait. It wasn't an easy decision. Does telling a program, that you're waiting on another program, and need to talk it over with family a big red flag? I got my acceptance on Tuesday, and accepted it tonight, but I feel like I ruined everything by saying that I was waiting on another program.

I know I was accepted, but I'm so paranoid right now that I made them seem like my second choice, when I was just trying to weigh all my options before deciding.

I didn't hear back from sinai, either. I just assume I was rejected.
Guess I was too. I wasn't expecting it so it's all good.

Thanks for the advice, I really wanted to do that, but I could only talk to the secretary. However, I just accepted the offer to CUNY, and am uber psyched.

I thought about it, and realized I would prefer spending a summer in New York City than Rochester. :D
I just hope I didn't ruin my shot at getting a good lab by making CUNY wait. It wasn't an easy decision. Does telling a program, that you're waiting on another program, and need to talk it over with family a big red flag? I got my acceptance on Tuesday, and accepted it tonight, but I feel like I ruined everything by saying that I was waiting on another program.

I know I was accepted, but I'm so paranoid right now that I made them seem like my second choice, when I was just trying to weigh all my options before deciding.

Guess I was too. I wasn't expecting it so it's all good.

Hmm.. you accepted it within 24 hours so whether you were waiting on another program shouldn't matter to them. And unless everyone else in your program is interested in your area of research plenty of great labs should be open.

Hmm.. you accepted it within 24 hours so whether you were waiting on another program shouldn't matter to them. And unless everyone else in your program is interested in your area of research plenty of great labs should be open.
Thanks, I appreciate the reassurance. :)

Has anyone been accepted into REG Cincinnati SURF?

Do you mean RGE? Nada yet.

They sent out an email last Thurs. saying that they were sorry for the delay and notices would be sent out within 2-3 weeks. They said they were trying to expand the program. IDK if you got that?

I guess its not just freshman that get rejected everywhere, but also sophomores.

Rejected:
Mayo SURF
San Jose State RUMBA (Silent)
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network REU (Waitlisted and then rejected)
University of Michigan Interdisciplinary REU
University of Chicago MGCB
Notre Dame Biology REU
Rice University Bionetwork
Rice University Cellular Engineering
University of Minnesota Twin Cities Molecular Genetics and Proteomics REU
UCSF

Waiting on:
Western Michigan University REU
University of Kansas REU in Molecular Biosciences
University of Michigan Biophysics

Did anyone else apply to the UC Davis premed surgery internship program?

I just got my interview appt. date!!!

Accepted U Chicago PSOMER!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats? I was planning on applying to that but I thought I wouldn't have a good shot at getting in.

Got into Medical College of Wisconsin SPUR yesterday! I got a call from them!

Hopefully I'll hear some good news from Princeton today...

Has anyone else heard from Baylor, UTHealth, or Rochester SSP?

and congrats to everyone who has gotten in somewhere!

Hey everyone

I just had an interview and got a job ($12/hour) for the summer working in a lab @ an ivy (I go to a very small, lowly ranked LAC). After disparaging results from my official summer program app cycle (0/13), I started emailing masses of professors, and a director of a division studying my precise interests got back to me and offered me a job yesterday.

These summer programs are a crap shoot, though I'm very happy for all of you who got in!

For everyone else who is bent on doing research this summer and hasn't received good news, it might be a good idea to draft an email and send it out. Good luck!

^ yup that's what i did after my freshman year to get an hourly job doing research. i had a family connection to phd candidate at an ivy, and after talking to the PI, they let me work there for $10/hr. cool thing was that they let me join in on their own SURP program (i didn't know about such programs then). i was able to sit in on the seminars and even presented my own poster/submitted an abstract with everyone else. it was sort of a back-door acceptance in to their surp, but doing research as a freshman was pretty sweet. and i'm sure it helped me get into my surf program this year. if you can still email PIs for hourly work, definitely do it

I guess its not just freshman that get rejected everywhere, but also sophomores.

Rejected:
Mayo SURF
San Jose State RUMBA (Silent)
National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network REU (Waitlisted and then rejected)
University of Michigan Interdisciplinary REU
University of Chicago MGCB
Notre Dame Biology REU
Rice University Bionetwork
Rice University Cellular Engineering
University of Minnesota Twin Cities Molecular Genetics and Proteomics REU
UCSF

Waiting on:
Western Michigan University REU
University of Kansas REU in Molecular Biosciences
University of Michigan Biophysics

Don't feel badly. I had a rough year as a sophomore but much more luck as a junior and senior. Try emailing PIs at your home institution or somewhere near your home and seeing if you can find a position as an assistant on an hourly wage. It works for some people, and it would give you experience to bolster your application next summer. Good luck!

ARGH. I'm on the waitlist/alternates for Baylor, Cinn RGE, and BRAIN.

I wish one would say yes. Blagh.

Still nothing from UNMC SURP and wait-listed for Emory SURE... Has anybody heard anything from Nebraska?