Summer Research Application Thread (REU, SURF, SURP, SIP, etc.) 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been rejected to every program I applied to, and I am a junior, so what do I do? Are there any programs taking anyone

Members don't see this ad.

I have been rejected to every program I applied to, and I am a junior, so what do I do? Are there any programs taking anyone

Have you tried your home institution? You might be able to talk to a professor about possibly volunteering over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah I didn't see that you'd been waitlisted at Baylor... I hope you get in!

Thanks! I called them today b/c I hadn't heard back from them, and she said my application was still being reviewed but I was on the list of alternates.

Just received an acceptance e-mail from Einstein!!! :) Anyone hear anything from Sinai, yet?

Finally received a rejection from Vandy SSA. (my first :eek:) It was a very sweetly worded e-mail. :)

I suppose everything will be settled for everyone over the next week or so.

Congrats! When did you submit your application? I'm still waiting on an acceptance... lol hopefully waiting. Are you going to accept it?
thanks! yes, i will definitely be going. i actually submitted my app reeeaaaallly close to the deadline. best of luck to you!

for those of you who have been waiting on Sinai (myself included), I called them today and was told that anyone who hasn't received an acceptance by now will be receiving a rejection e-mail/letter soon. i figured as much, but it was a relief to hear a final decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, i got into a summer program at Greehey Children's Cancer Research Institute in texas. they won't be paying for my living expenses,so i was just wondering if you guys know any apartments near by with the reasonable prices. and I was also wondering how the weather is like in texas in summer.

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

All my emails have come in.
Out of the 11 I applied to. I only got into 2.
All you need is one though!
Congrats to everybody that will be spending the summer researching!

Hi, i got into a summer program at Greehey Children's Cancer Research Institute in texas. they won't be paying for my living expenses,so i was just wondering if you guys know any apartments near by with the reasonable prices. and I was also wondering how the weather is like in texas in summer.

any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Just received an acceptance e-mail from Einstein!!! :) Anyone hear anything from Sinai, yet?

Congrats! :)
I did that program last year... you're going to have tons of fun! I will say though that when they say the apartments are furnished sparingly, they do really mean sparingly haha. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about it!

all my programs are in. I went 2 for 8. This was a tough experience. I can honestly say I have no idea what they are looking for in an applicant.

Got all my final rejection emails, though I haven't heard from Mt.Sinai, I think the answer is obvious.
So, I applied to 8, got accepted to 1. It was a humbling experience, but I am incredibly grateful to CUNY SURP and look forward to their program.

Best of luck guys. :thumbup:

Final status on my summer research application:

Penn State SURIP: Rejected
MUSC SURP: Rejected
UC NeuroSURF: Rejected
Wayne State SURE: Rejected
Clemson University REU: Rejected
OUHCOM Surf: Haven't heard, but we can assume rejection
UV SNURF: Rejected

But all is not lost.....

Kansas State REU: Accepted!!!!!!

Words of Wisdom: Unless your an academic all star, expect a lot of rejection from these programs.

^ not even. One kid who was an English/Bio double major with a 3.93 chose around 10 highly respected summer programs and got rejected from all of them. Had a decent amount of EC's too.
Honestly, I would agree with Coltsbcs; no idea what they are looking for.

Has anyone heard from Vanderbilt's Undergraduate Clinical Research Program? I'm afraid that my email did not go through. :confused:

hi! I heard back around the 20th of March, and had gotten off the first waitlist go around. good luck!

Got accepted to Baylor! :) YAY! I emailed a prof I worked with over winter break, and he agreed to let me do research with him. He talked to the director, and she said there were enough funds to accept me. I wasn't accepted b/c they didn't have a mentor for me. YIPEE!

^ not even. One kid who was an English/Bio double major with a 3.93 chose around 10 highly respected summer programs and got rejected from all of them. Had a decent amount of EC's too.
Honestly, I would agree with Coltsbcs; no idea what they are looking for.

I've talked to alot of the directors of these programs. From what they've told me, they stress the PS the most and usually prefer juniors b/c it's their last summer. What they don't really advertise on applications, though, is the importance of having research skills that match with the professor.

For instance, if you want to work with a prof who does fMRI, but you don't know how to do fMRI's, your chances of working with that professor are greatly diminished. In the same sense, the program director tries to match up your interests with professors who are doing something in that field. If there aren't enough profs available, then again, your chances diminish.

As a side note, Johnny, is this person still an undergrad or did he already graduate? If he graduated, do you know if he was accepted to med school? I only ask b/c my GPA is a 3.99, I applied to over 10 programs, & I have a dec amount of ECs and a years worth of research experience.

He's an M2 at Case Western Reserve. Applied his senior year so he had no gap year and applied for the summer programs his junior year. It's very unpredictable for these summer programs. A 3.99 is ridiculous, as long as you have a good MCAT, I don't see any problems wit your app.

looks like i'm going to the uc berkeley cal teach summer institute. just found out last week. wooow you never know what's going to happen. there's plenty of ways to diversify your application, many of which might be a better fit for you than research. that said, if you got into a research program, congrats. good :luck: to all of you.

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum, just wanted to see if anybody was going to the Baylor SMART program I am really excited about it, because it was my number one choice and for Medical School.

Got into 2/12 this summer. I just got accepted to UF-COM NIH program. I've already accepted Mayo though.

Which WashU program?

it's a clinical research program called aspire, had no clue about it until a guy who offered to take me in for research for the summer suggest I apply since they fund students, I think it's fairly new....I'm pretty excited about it though since my project couldn't have been a better fit, with a awesome mentor and a wonderful hospital.

program details

http://crtc.wustl.edu/index.php/training-programs/high-school-and-undergraduate-programs

it's a clinical research program called aspire, had no clue about it until a guy who offered to take me in for research for the summer suggest I apply since they fund students, I think it's fairly new....I'm pretty excited about it though since my project couldn't have been a better fit, with a awesome mentor and a wonderful hospital.

program details

http://crtc.wustl.edu/index.php/training-programs/high-school-and-undergraduate-programs
Ah okay I figured, since the Amgen was done long ago. A friend of mine applied to Aspire, but she's since committed to another program.

Congrats though!

Finally got my rejection from Wake Forest TSI today.

Here's my final tally:

Applied - 12 (2 in-state, 10 out-of-state)
Accepted - 3 (2 in-state, 1 out-of-state)

25% acceptance rate!

Accepted to UPenn SUIP through the Leadership Alliance. Will anyone else be there?

Anyone Accepted to UMBC's STUUR (Summer Training for Undergraduates in Urological Research) program?

accepted into the Wash U program, anyone else doing this?

I'll be at WashU for the summer also. Different program, but I hear we may have some common events. If so, then I'll see you there.

Just got my travel itinerary and reservations. Anyone else? Can't wait for summer:biglove:

I'll be at WashU for the summer also. Different program, but I hear we may have some common events. If so, then I'll see you there.

Just got my travel itinerary and reservations. Anyone else? Can't wait for summer:biglove:

sweet! I sent you a PM

Quick question: Will these SURP/SURFs let you send LOR's via Interfolio?

Quick question: Will these SURP/SURFs let you send LOR's via Interfolio?

I've never heard of a program letting you do that. Every program I've applied to asks for your recommender's contact information and directly emails them with instructions on how to submit a LOR.

I've never heard of a program letting you do that. Every program I've applied to asks for your recommender's contact information and directly emails them with instructions on how to submit a LOR.

impressive research record :thumbup:

A little late, but Stanford Amgen. Will anyone else be there?

Anybody going to Baylor for the DeBakey program? :)