Summer Research at a Different Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Beta Cell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm wondering what the ramifications would be of not doing clinical research the summer between M1 and M2 at my home institution. My school (USNWR top-10) has a funded program that pays you to do research with their faculty, but what are the pros/cons of doing research with a faculty member at Columbia (Columbia Presbyterian)? Housing is free for me, my long-time girlfriend also lives in NYC, and the surgeon is a family friend who has essentially promised that if I work hard, I should be able to get my name on at least one paper by the summer's end.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do it. I wish I had spent my M1 summer somewhere I enjoyed and having fun. If you want to do residency at your home institution, doing research there may help you to get to know the faculty better. However, if you want to go to NYC for the summer (even if you didn't have a research project lined up), no real reason to stay at your home institution. Research is research, and Columbia is just as good as any school you're at.

Dude you're doing research at Columbia under a surgeon, with a guaranteed publication, and living in New York City FOR FREE. You have got to be joking if you think you are in any way disadvantaged in this situation.

(Random, but I consider the USNWR top 10 ranking of medical schools to be complete BS but that's just me - their hospital/residency rankings are a bit more legit).

Dude you're doing research at Columbia under a surgeon, with a guaranteed publication, and living in New York City FOR FREE. You have got to be joking if you think you are in any way disadvantaged in this situation.

(Random, but I consider the USNWR top 10 ranking of medical schools to be complete BS but that's just me - their hospital/residency rankings are a bit more legit).

Plus, you have an excuse for why you won't be continuing your research during 2nd year, so you can focus on your classes. If you did it at your home institution, it may not look as good to stop when classes start back up.