godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Has anyone completed a summer research program? I'm curious because I am hoping to participate in the upcoming SPUR program at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Has anyone completed a previous SPUR at MCW? Since I am from the area, MCW is going to be one of my top choices so I'm curious as to how adcoms look at prospective students that have done research at the school.

Does participation in a research program at the med school give you an advantage over other similarly qualified students? Anyone with first hand experience?

While I don't have plans to do research right away, I have not ruled it out and I know that will be a question of interest from interviewers, so don't worry.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
godawgs39 said:
Has anyone completed a summer research program? I'm curious because I am hoping to participate in the upcoming SPUR program at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Has anyone completed a previous SPUR at MCW? Since I am from the area, MCW is going to be one of my top choices so I'm curious as to how adcoms look at prospective students that have done research at the school.

Does participation in a research program at the med school give you an advantage over other similarly qualified students? Anyone with first hand experience?

While I don't have plans to do research right away, I have not ruled it out and I know that will be a question of interest from interviewers, so don't worry.

Thanks in advance for any input!
You can contact the Director of Admissions at MCW. His name is Michael Istwan and he is quite friendly and would help give you some info on that. However, when you do talk to him, don't ask him what your chances are but instead how previous participants fared after going through the program. He's very candid about the whole process. Good luck!

OP
G

godawgs39

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the suggestion! Has anyone else done this and feel that it affected the school's (not just MCW) decision in one way or another?

Stank811

15+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2004
Status
It will not hurt you to do some research at MCW, I know of some current students at MCW who have participated in the SPUR program in the past. I myself was denied from the SPUR program but was also accepted to MCW so I would suggest participating in it if you have the oppurtunity but if it does not work out participate in a research group on your undergrad campus because it is the experience that ADCOMS will notice.