Summer Research before First Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owen_osh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone considering summer research before their M1 year? How important do you think summer research will be for matching in a competitive specialty? Would you rather spend time with friends during the summer? What factors (publishing opportunities, pay, time period, mentor, topic, clinical relevance, relevance to your anticipated specialty etc.) are most important in choosing a project? Will you choose a project from a list provided by your school, or will you contact faculty to arrange a project?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my...
This is your last summer before medical school...HAVE FUN. You will have four years to do as much research as your heart desires, but for now RELAX. Do whatever you think you'll be craving when you're in the library studying for an exam next year (hopefully that isn't lab research).

Amen, medilicious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think research this summer is a good job if you would enjoy it more than other stuff that brings similar money. I will just pick a mentor in the area I'm interested in. They're usually willing to take in students. Just be sure to take at least a 3 week break in your summer where you travel or relax.
Depends on what your needs are, I guess...

Most students chance their mind about specialties once or a dozen times, so don't so research just to be competetive in X field. If you think it would be a lot of fun, by all means. But there is no obligation or expectation that you do anything you won't really enjoy this summer. I disagree that it's your last chance to relax (most schools have a summer break between years 1 & 2) but taking a true break becomes more difficult there when everyone around you is talking about their amazing plan to work on research of spend the summer in a clinic or learn Spanish or...

Theoreretically, this summer you should be able to escape from the peer pressure. If you want to do something productive, spend some time setting up some wellness routines so that when you start getting stressed in school, you already know what you can do to feel better. Meditate, exercise, take a bath, learn to do something with your hands. Whatever it is, just make sure it relaxes you, and you will be able to work it into your life regularly in the fall.

i need to work this summer to make some money anyway, so i figure that i might as well do something that is stimulating and will help me in the future.

europe and a backpack sound nice but financially impossible

Originally posted by jwin
i need to work this summer to make some money anyway, so i figure that i might as well do something that is stimulating and will help me in the future.

europe and a backpack sound nice but financially impossible

Same for me. Sure I'd like to take the summer off and have fun and just chill... but I don't have that kind of money. So if I'm going to work, I might as well do something interesting and valuable...

Ever thought about teaching? I've taught high school math and science the last two years in summer school, and I couldn't think of a better summer job. Great hours, good pay, and very, very fulfilling.

Originally posted by Hawaiian Bruin
Ever thought about teaching? I've taught high school math and science the last two years in summer school, and I couldn't think of a better summer job. Great hours, good pay, and very, very fulfilling.

That sounds like my dream job! (I'm looking into private tutoring positions for the summer). Do you have to have a teaching credential to teach in schools though?

Depends on the area probably, but I've been teaching without a credential. Did have many many hours of tutoring experience though, and I'm not sure if I could have been hired without my bachelor's. The public schools in the area I work in are so strapped for cash they don't really care (the geometry text I'll be using this summer was published in 1984!)

Call local high schools and ask, especially in underserved areas! Couldn't hurt, and it is fun work and great experience. Good interview fodder too ;)