Summer Research Choices...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to have been accepted to two different summer research programs, but I cannot decide which one would be better for me. I am almost equally interested in each of the topics:

1) Cancer and cell proliferation

2) Molecular Biology (not exactly sure on topic)

I am leaning toward #1 interest-wise. But, topics aside:

#1:
-Research done in pharmacological department of medical school
-Pays a little better
-Research with MD/PhD who has 25+ publications with in last 3 years on the topic
-Weekly seminars on topics in biomedicine
-Poster presentation
-Housing with medical students in medical frat house
-Funded by ASPET (American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics)

#2:
-Research with PhD that does not have as many publications (10-15)
-Ethics Retreat
-Listen in on State Poison Phone line
-Job shadow doctors (may be available for #1, but #2 specifically said this)
-hiking
-funded by NSF

You see it is a toss up. If you were me, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, they both sound great. What are their locations? You might want to take that into account. #2 had 'hiking' - does that mean it's in a nice, relatively rural or at least "wooded" area? Personally, I love the outdoors, so I would choose the one that gave me some time to go hiking, backpacking, etc., when I have some free time outside of the lab.

That's all I can really say on the issue, considering that i'm not really into biomedical research and only have limited info about your interests... Good luck with your decision!

Ask them both if they'll pay you the money up front. Accept which ever job does, take the money and buy a kilo of coke and a plane ticket to Amsterdam.

you won't regret it

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by rogersce
Ask them both if they'll pay you the money up front. Accept which ever job does, take the money and buy a kilo of coke and a plane ticket to Amsterdam.

you won't regret it

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet!! Hahaha!!

As far as Molecular Bio, I get really frustrated at my job because most of the time everything fails and I have to go home feeling like I am stealing money from my professor for doing nothing. I don't know how it is with cancer cell proliferation though, but it just kills me that everything I do seems like it is working just fine and then in the end - no result. But if you are the kind of person who can get really dedicated and keep trying, maybe it is for you. I just want a list of tasks to do!

I would defenitely choose the first one, it sounds awesome. Hey what summer research program is that? I would be very interested in applying to it in the upcoming years.

You may want to keep in mind the likelyhood of getting your name on a paper in making your decision. There are few things that look as good as being published.

I would go with #1 because of the poster presentation opportunity and the free housing. It probably won't be hard to request some shadowing. The only thing about #2 that jumps out at me as really cool is the Ethics Retreat. Otherwise, the first one seems to have more advantages.

Personally I would choose the MD/PhD guy, but if he is someone that rarely stays in the lab then it might not be too good. But if you can work independently I would choose #1.

fun8stuff could u possibly give me some information concerning choice #1. I am interested in applying next year. Thanks

Thanks for the great advice guys!

fullefect1, check your PMs.

Originally posted by Sean2tall
I get really frustrated at my job because most of the time everything fails and I have to go home feeling like I am stealing money from my professor for doing nothing.

I hear you on this one! I felt exactly the same way for seven straight months; NOTHING would ever work in this lab I was in. Talk about boring/frustrating! :mad:

By the way, I would totally pick option #1. Free housing and more money are always the way to go for college students (unless you are lucky enough to have a very generous family). Plus, pharm is big money these days and I would think it a good thing to at least have some contacts in that field regardless of what happens afterwards in your life!