Summer Research Choices...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have been lucky enough to have been accepted to two different summer research programs, but I cannot decide which one would be better for me. I am almost equally interested in each of the topics:

1) Cancer and cell proliferation

2) Molecular Biology (not exactly sure on topic)

I am leaning toward #1 interest-wise. But, topics aside:

#1:
-Research done in pharmacological department of medical school
-Pays a little better
-Research with MD/PhD who has 25+ publications with in last 3 years on the topic
-Weekly seminars on topics in biomedicine
-Poster presentation
-Housing with medical students in medical frat house
-Funded by ASPET (American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics)

#2:
-Research with PhD that does not have as many publications (10-15)
-Ethics Retreat
-Listen in on State Poison Phone line
-Job shadow doctors (may be available for #1, but #2 specifically said this)
-hiking
-funded by NSF

You see it is a toss up. If you were me, what would you do?

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, they both sound great. What are their locations? You might want to take that into account. #2 had 'hiking' - does that mean it's in a nice, relatively rural or at least "wooded" area? Personally, I love the outdoors, so I would choose the one that gave me some time to go hiking, backpacking, etc., when I have some free time outside of the lab.

That's all I can really say on the issue, considering that i'm not really into biomedical research and only have limited info about your interests... Good luck with your decision!

rogersce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ask them both if they'll pay you the money up front. Accept which ever job does, take the money and buy a kilo of coke and a plane ticket to Amsterdam.

you won't regret it

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by rogersce
Ask them both if they'll pay you the money up front. Accept which ever job does, take the money and buy a kilo of coke and a plane ticket to Amsterdam.

you won't regret it

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sweet!! Hahaha!!

Sean2tall

Pathology Resident
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as Molecular Bio, I get really frustrated at my job because most of the time everything fails and I have to go home feeling like I am stealing money from my professor for doing nothing. I don't know how it is with cancer cell proliferation though, but it just kills me that everything I do seems like it is working just fine and then in the end - no result. But if you are the kind of person who can get really dedicated and keep trying, maybe it is for you. I just want a list of tasks to do!

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would defenitely choose the first one, it sounds awesome. Hey what summer research program is that? I would be very interested in applying to it in the upcoming years.

logos

100% Organic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You may want to keep in mind the likelyhood of getting your name on a paper in making your decision. There are few things that look as good as being published.

Thundrstorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would go with #1 because of the poster presentation opportunity and the free housing. It probably won't be hard to request some shadowing. The only thing about #2 that jumps out at me as really cool is the Ethics Retreat. Otherwise, the first one seems to have more advantages.

researchprof

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally I would choose the MD/PhD guy, but if he is someone that rarely stays in the lab then it might not be too good. But if you can work independently I would choose #1.

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
fun8stuff could u possibly give me some information concerning choice #1. I am interested in applying next year. Thanks

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice guys!

fullefect1, check your PMs.

Sharkfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sean2tall
I get really frustrated at my job because most of the time everything fails and I have to go home feeling like I am stealing money from my professor for doing nothing.

I hear you on this one! I felt exactly the same way for seven straight months; NOTHING would ever work in this lab I was in. Talk about boring/frustrating! :mad:

By the way, I would totally pick option #1. Free housing and more money are always the way to go for college students (unless you are lucky enough to have a very generous family). Plus, pharm is big money these days and I would think it a good thing to at least have some contacts in that field regardless of what happens afterwards in your life!