summer research dilemma - please help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allinblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

i applied to a couple of summer research programs and recently got accepted into one last week. in the acceptance email, they gave me until tomorrow (tuesday 4/13) to reply with my decision to accept/decline the offer.

however, just today, i found out that i am #2 on the waitlist for another research program which is actually more appealing to me research-wise (cancer research) and also pays significantly more (1.5k difference), but i won't find out whether i'm accepted until wednesday 4/14.

what should i do? should i just accept the offer from the first program and just forget about the 2nd one or decline the offer and risk the waitlist? if i risk it and don't get in then i have nothing to do for the summer.

OR should i email the program coordinator from the first program and ask for an extension to decide? this is what i'm leaning towards doing, but how do I go about asking for an extension?

thanks a lot for your help guys. i really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

should i just accept the offer from the first program and just forget about the 2nd one

Yes

decline the offer and risk the waitlist?

No

OR should i email the program coordinator from the first program and ask for an extension to decide? this is what i'm leaning towards doing, but how do I go about asking for an extension?

It's not like you have anything to lose.

Just be vague and say something about personal reasons if you feel the need to give an explanation.

you should definitely take the first acceptance!!..i was in the same position as you were. i got into downstate but I rejected them and took a risk and waited....the one that I waited for the next day accepted me but I found out that they accepted 10 out of 5000+ applications which was a very small percentage(Thomas Jefferson)...i took a risk but to alleviate the anxiety, take the first one just to be safe...best of luck!!!