Summer Research Flopped... How bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doodl3s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the research project I was put on this summer by my mentor was a huge flop.

I had to do everything scratch including getting signatures from multiple department heads and fighting with them to do it SOON. Since IRB approval took so long they pulled my summer funding. Luckily, money wasn't a huge issue for me. For me, I worry more about the fact that I have nothing to show for my summer!

It's finally getting approved and I have the database to work with. It's really just a database review, retrospective study. Even then, it seems that I have to call patients to update it.

My question is, how bad is it, that the summer between MS1 and MS2 was essentially spent getting a project off the ground and barely started?

Worst part is, my mentor figures I'll just continue working on it through 2nd year, which I really wanted to focus on academics and the boards.

Members don't see this ad.

its not horrible i think because you can spin it in a positive light if asked. you learned a lot about what it takes to get a project off the ground from scratch which is really hard! (as you saw).
And maybe you can put in a couple of hours a week during 2nd year?