1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Summer research internship...not really doing much

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blomar, Aug 8, 2011.

1. blomar

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Is this going to be an issue when I interview? I've spent the vast majority of these 2 months messing around on my computer (guess where I'm at right now)...not that I haven't wanted to work it just isn't there to be done.

I've done a few things (literature search, patient chart analysis) this summer but every time my supervisor (an MD) gives me something to do, I finish it usually in a day when I think he's expecting me to take like a week or two.

It's not that he doesn't want to give me things to do but the work is just kind of hard to translate into something an undergrad can do...my doc keeps telling me that it will all be fine since I will get my letter and something to write in on my application.

I'm just a little worried that if this comes up I won't have a substantial answer to offer and honestly not sure how good of a letter he can write when I haven't done that much.

I was planning on finishing up around now, but since I don't want to have an empty experience I ended up extending the length of this thing for another two weeks...and now I'm not really sure if anything is going to come out of it.

I sacrificed a lot of plans this summer to take this internship and I really don't want it all to backfire on me..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. When you describe it in your application, just don't hype it up and make it into something it wasn't. I would guess that if you're honest, it shouldn't be a problem.

4. Buttermellow

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It will help in interviews if you can at least explain what you learned. As in, can you talk about the research of the lab? Even if you personally didn't do much, you can at least be very familiar with the research and be able to explain what you learned from it.

5. NickNaylor

NickNaylor Thank You for Smoking
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly. The key to this sort of thing is all in how you describe the experience. Be honest, but remember that you're the only one who fully understands the breadth and depth of your experiences. The people who review your application only know what you tell them.