summer research: neuroonc or ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ordinarygraces

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi requesting advice
I am trying to decide whether to do a specialized clinical research project under a cardiologist and neurology or whether to work on a sepsis project in the ER.

I am attracted to both options for different reasons - the ER one seems more exciting and fun and could culminate in a poster/abstract, and the Neuroonc one is kind of unique, and could include a paper/case report.

I guess I am not sure which one to go for, given that I am interested in both ER and Neuro/Oncology. I should also say that the ER people are warmer and I feel a stronger connection here, but would be perhaps less accessible as they are busy in and out - while the Cardiology/Neurologist are going to more hands- on because the study is focussed on their patients and their well-being and are really invested in getting the project moving.

My question is because I am not sure exactly what I am going into, would
going into one field or the other close doors? Say, if I ended up loving the ER, would having spent time doing superspecialized work on cardiology/neurology be wasted? ... I have to decide really soon, so any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You wont close any doors. Most residency programs just like to see that you have done, or have an interest in research. Of course it is better if you have done it in your field of choice but having done research at all will put you at an advantage.

Are you interested in the neuro side, onc side, rad onc side, or neurosurg side of neuro-oncology? If you are interested in rad onc or neurosurg you might want to take that project just b/c those fields are more competitive. Medicine and neuro arent that competitive so you dont need an extra advantage there.

Dont worry about closing doors though. That isnt an issue.

I would do the one that is more likely to be published. Research looks good on a CV, but it looks a lot better if there is a publication to go along with it.

Do the one that would be more fun for you. Nothing sucks more than doing research that is boring. :cool: