Summer Research: NIH SIP 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4.7L-V8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I got accepted into a fantastic laboratory for the National Institutes of Health Summer Internship Program for Biomedical Research (NIH SIP). I will be there the first week of June until after the week of Poster Day (approx. 10 weeks). I just wanted to connect with other people who got in. I will be interning in a laboratory for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).

I am also inquiring on any out-of-towners like myself who would like to share a short term lease apartment in the Bethesda/Chevy Chase/ Rockville areas near the vicinity of the NIH. I was considering renting a room or basement at a nearby residence through the NIH suggested housing but I don't really feel all that comfortable living in someone's household who is not a student. So if you got accepted into the program as well and are looking to split an apartment for the summer let me know! I'm Male, 20 years old currently attending UNLV. I will be busy working at the NIH (as I expect you are too) and pretty much spending my day out doing research and using the NIH facilities. I will be pretty much using the apartment as a place to keep my stuff and sleep. I do not have preferences on a roommate other than the fact that you are part of the NIH SIP program as well and you don't throw wild geeky parties in the middle of the night lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I sent you a PM.

Hey there,

If you don't mind my asking, did you just get offered the position or was it through your personal reaching out with researchers?

Members don't see this ad :)
A bit of both. I did inquire for some which either told me they have filled their summer positions already or do not have funds or space and some that sought me out due to my current lab experience and skills

Thanks for the info! I applied kind of late and was just curious. I feel like at this point, it'll be hard to get a spot but I'm hoping someone will like my combo of skills or that the people I reach out to have space and $$.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I have been looking in the Bethesda (is very expensive) or surrounding areas. Additionally, are all of you SIP students or are there IRTAs as well. If you are interested let me know.

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I have been looking in the Bethesda (is very expensive) or surrounding areas. Additionally, are all of you SIP students or are there IRTAs as well. If you are interested let me know.

You should find the clubPCR yahoo group. It's for NIH PostBacs, Postdocs, interns and such. They are always posting housing listing and roommate requests, especially for this coming summer. I hope that helps! I found my place that way

You should find the clubPCR yahoo group. It's for NIH PostBacs, Postdocs, interns and such. They are always posting housing listing and roommate requests, especially for this coming summer. I hope that helps! I found my place that way
Did you end living with a roommate or found a sublet. Additionally, how much is your rent if you don't mind me asking?

Sublet with private bath within biking distance of the NIH. $850 with utilities

Hey guys. If you are looking for a reliable and cheap place to live in the area, I have read that American University is where many of the NIH SIP interns stay. It is off the red line and is in D.C. I will be interning at the Clinical Center in Bethesda and after talking to my mentor, she even agreed that it was a great idea to stay there because parking can be hard to find on the main campus. You have to be at least 18 to stay there. I hope this helped!

Hey! are you still looking for a roommate? I just got into a lab but it's in NCI campus at Frederick MD... I'll send you a PM.

Hello,

I'm a 4th year pharmacy student from the area and have interned at NIH for the past year. I am renting my room in Arlington for my off and away rotation blocks. NIH will give you a $150 metro stipend/card for each month, so using the metro becomes free :) Here is my ad that I posted on another student housing forum. You can use the trip planner option on the DC metro website to see how your commute to NIH would be. Good luck!

Rent $950/mo
Date Updated Jun 2, 2015
Bedrooms 2
Bathrooms 2
Roommates 1 (Female)
Availability Jun 20, 2015 to Jul 26, 2015
Jan 9, 2016 to Feb 13, 2016
Oct 3, 2015 to Nov 7, 2015
1BR available in a clean 2BR 2BA apartment. Located in a quiet suburb very close to DC. Only female tenants are welcome. Roommate is a very nice and smart pharmacist (just graduated) and I'm a 4th yr pharmacy student. Facility has pool and 24hr gym/concierge. Plenty of parking available. 10 minute drive to Inova or GW hospitals. 20-25 minute drive to CNMC/VA. Free 5 minute shuttle available to Pentagon City metro station. Public buses stop in front of the building. Comes furnished (full bed) w/ limited closet space, fast internet, + an open kitchen. Utilities included. Asking for $500 security deposit. Must be clean + quiet. Might have 2 blocks: 11/8/15-12/12/15 and 2/14/16-3/19/16 open up.
Address: 1334 28th Street South Apt. 8, Arlington, VA 22206
Nearby Hospitals:

Thanks for the info! I applied kind of late and was just curious. I feel like at this point, it'll be hard to get a spot but I'm hoping someone will like my combo of skills or that the people I reach out to have space and $$.

I applied a little late to and have sent out sooo many emails since the last week or so. All of the labs sofar are filled or do not host student for the SIP program. 2 labs have told me they would have taken me if I had applied earlier.. which actually kind of hurts. Im still cold emailing like crazy, but was wondering if you had found a position around this time? And whether anyone has advice? Whether I should keep applying or give up?