summer research opportunities: NYC, CA

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by kid korea, Dec 7, 2002.

1. kid korea

kid korea ASA Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey,

i was wondering if anyone's done any summer research stuff in NYC or CA and what advice they've got for me. i'm a Med I from UW-Madison, and i'd really love to do something in NYC or the san francisco area. i'm having trouble finding programs in these areas that are open to outside students. i've perused through the mt. sinai and the NYU pages and the impression i'm getting is that you have to be students at those schools to get into the programs. any tips?

i've also been sifting through UCSF and stanford's pages and i've been unable to find anything really solid. if anyone that has had any experience in any of these areas could post some links or tips or anything, that would be greatly appreciated!

and by the way, the new nas single is off the chain. cop that **** as if it were hot to the touch.

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

what's ur legal state of residence? if u're from cali, nevada, or utah, u may qualify for the summer research program for med students. try www.heartsource.org. i did the undergrad one two years ago and thought it was a great program.

4. paean

paean Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you have an idea of what you are interested in, you could start by looking at what labs are doing that kind of research and approach them directly. Also, a lot of American _____ Associations have research programs that will fund you to do a summer project. If you have funding, getting a position at another school should be a lot easier, because the lab doesn't have to come up with funding. Also some of the A_A associations have specific projects or labs they like to hook students into, and I suspect that there may be some in SF (I never paid attention to NY). Likewise, if you can afford it, you could offer to volunteer, so all they have to spend is the cost of the project you work on, and not a stipend.