Summer Research or SMDEP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Today I've just received my research experiment for the summer from my PI. I am a sophomore and I have worked with my PI since freshman year (had her for intro). This is my second research project and my first as an experienced researcher and she would like that I get published. My situation is a little different from most because I research at a VERY small school. Our lab has only 3 people. Myself, another sophomore and the PI. As a result we all work and contribute equally to experiments. The sophomore is a "new guy" so I am expected be an example to him as well. Long story short, the lab is close, and we act more as friends/auntie than student/PI. Is it worth leaving this for Yale SMDEP? I don't want to miss out on an opp but I don't want to let down my PI

(P.S.) I looked at other threads for advice before posting.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. Today I've just received my research experiment for the summer from my PI. I am a sophomore and I have worked with my PI since freshman year (had her for intro). This is my second research project and my first as an experienced researcher and she would like that I get published. My situation is a little different from most because I research at a VERY small school. Our lab has only 3 people. Myself, another sophomore and the PI. As a result we all work and contribute equally to experiments. The sophomore is a "new guy" so I am expected be an example to him as well. Long story short, the lab is close, and we act more as friends/auntie than student/PI. Is it worth leaving this for Yale SMDEP? I don't want to miss out on an opp but I don't want to let down my PI

(P.S.) I looked at other threads for advice before posting.

I would discuss this with your PI, especially since you have a good relationship with her. Explain the amazing opportunity you have lined up, and see if you would be able to start research after SMDEP (it's only a 6 week program, so you would hopefully have some time left out of summer to potentially start the project). She will hopefully be understanding, and since you're a sophomore, you'll still have plenty of time to continue working for her and get that publication. If she isn't understanding, then you've got more of a dilemma.

I would not pass up SMDEP for your research project. SMDEP was a terrific opportunity that realliy opens your eyes to the injustices in medicine and your just learn a ton and make meaningful connections. Plus its only 6 weeks. Im sure your PI will be understandding if you talk to her.

Members don't see this ad :)