Summer Research or SMDEP

Espadaleader

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2010
  1. Medical Student
    Hello everyone. Today I've just received my research experiment for the summer from my PI. I am a sophomore and I have worked with my PI since freshman year (had her for intro). This is my second research project and my first as an experienced researcher and she would like that I get published. My situation is a little different from most because I research at a VERY small school. Our lab has only 3 people. Myself, another sophomore and the PI. As a result we all work and contribute equally to experiments. The sophomore is a "new guy" so I am expected be an example to him as well. Long story short, the lab is close, and we act more as friends/auntie than student/PI. Is it worth leaving this for Yale SMDEP? I don't want to miss out on an opp but I don't want to let down my PI

(P.S.) I looked at other threads for advice before posting.

RingTailedDoc

Feb 28, 2011
    out west
    1. Medical Student
      Hello everyone. Today I've just received my research experiment for the summer from my PI. I am a sophomore and I have worked with my PI since freshman year (had her for intro). This is my second research project and my first as an experienced researcher and she would like that I get published. My situation is a little different from most because I research at a VERY small school. Our lab has only 3 people. Myself, another sophomore and the PI. As a result we all work and contribute equally to experiments. The sophomore is a "new guy" so I am expected be an example to him as well. Long story short, the lab is close, and we act more as friends/auntie than student/PI. Is it worth leaving this for Yale SMDEP? I don't want to miss out on an opp but I don't want to let down my PI

(P.S.) I looked at other threads for advice before posting.

I would discuss this with your PI, especially since you have a good relationship with her. Explain the amazing opportunity you have lined up, and see if you would be able to start research after SMDEP (it's only a 6 week program, so you would hopefully have some time left out of summer to potentially start the project). She will hopefully be understanding, and since you're a sophomore, you'll still have plenty of time to continue working for her and get that publication. If she isn't understanding, then you've got more of a dilemma.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
      Removed
      7+ Year Member
      May 29, 2009
      Hills of Westwood
      1. Pre-Medical
        I would not pass up SMDEP for your research project. SMDEP was a terrific opportunity that realliy opens your eyes to the injustices in medicine and your just learn a ton and make meaningful connections. Plus its only 6 weeks. Im sure your PI will be understandding if you talk to her.

About the Ads
        About the Ads
        This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.