Summer research poster presentation at school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IFLS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I did a summer research project outside of school and did a poster and oral presentation at their end-of-program symposium. Would it be a bad idea to submit it to my school's undergrad conference and see if I can present it there? I just would like to share what I did as I am continuing that research in a related field at a different lab now.... :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what you researched. If you studied how fast bananas ripen in the fridge, then probably not. If you studied CT criteria for 50,000 kids, I would probably submit that for review.

Also, I'm not sure if this counts as research how you're describing it. Did you do actual lab work or did you Google search and make a "research" paper?

It was "actual lab work."

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely! Even if you don't even up getting in, put the symposium on your resume/application. In school stuff like this definitely counts :)

Congrats of getting involved in some lab work over the summer and getting a presentation out of it!

Definitely! Even if you don't even up getting in, put the symposium on your resume/application. In school stuff like this definitely counts :)

Congrats of getting involved in some lab work over the summer and getting a presentation out of it!

But I've already presented it over the summer... Would it be bad to do it again at my school's conference?

No way!
Why would it be bad? I've had the same long term project (not the only thing I've done, but I've still constantly kept up with it) since 2010. I'm now finally getting around to submitting the paper because all the experiments etc are done. This means, however, that I have had 3 years to present more or less the same stuff (plus a few side projects) at various conferences and symposia. How long do you have until the conference? Is there another analysis route you could go down to continue exploring the data you have? Could you do a little more research about the background to see if you can frame your observations better? Is there any recent literature that has come out that informs your project? Basically, can you update your poster in any way?

No way!
Why would it be bad? I've had the same long term project (not the only thing I've done, but I've still constantly kept up with it) since 2010. I'm now finally getting around to submitting the paper because all the experiments etc are done. This means, however, that I have had 3 years to present more or less the same stuff (plus a few side projects) at various conferences and symposia. How long do you have until the conference? Is there another analysis route you could go down to continue exploring the data you have? Could you do a little more research about the background to see if you can frame your observations better? Is there any recent literature that has come out that informs your project? Basically, can you update your poster in any way?

Well, i doubt it. i would say that the field of research I am pursuing now is related to what I have done over the summer, but in no way is it a continuation of the actual project.
it was a 10 week program so not much data to show but I figure it is worth something...
Should I also notify my (summer) PI if I do get to present at my school?

You should send your summer PI an email asking if you can apply for this presentation since the PI's name is (presumably) on the poster and you need his/her permission to use their name again. Then follow up if you get it.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,
I did a summer research project outside of school and did a poster and oral presentation at their end-of-program symposium. Would it be a bad idea to submit it to my school's undergrad conference and see if I can present it there? I just would like to share what I did as I am continuing that research in a related field at a different lab now.... :)

Not a bad idea. I did two summer programs and at one of them, we presented at an end-of-program symposium and a lot of people brought their posters home and presented it at their home universities. I didn't because my research was embarrassing, and I basically found a biowarfare agent.

I don't think your PI would mind as long as you tell your PI that you're submitting it.

Not a bad idea. I did two summer programs and at one of them, we presented at an end-of-program symposium and a lot of people brought their posters home and presented it at their home universities. I didn't because my research was embarrassing, and I basically found a biowarfare agent.

I don't think your PI would mind as long as you tell your PI that you're submitting it.
Okay thanks. Lol a biowarfare agent? How does one manage to do that? hahaha Sounds like a cool project

Yep! It'll be a good experience for you.

Okay thanks. Lol a biowarfare agent? How does one manage to do that? hahaha Sounds like a cool project

Haha it's actually a pretty successful cancer drug, but on this specific cancer, it made them grow bigger. So basically any patient who takes this drug with this particular cancer will make their condition worse. Maybe I should have written that on my app. Would have turned some heads on the adcom lol. ;)

In all seriousness, it was a pretty stressful project (not just the project, but I was exposed to a lot of lab politics in the lab and by the end of program, I threw my poster on a random shelf in the lab and wanted to be as far away from that lab as possible), and I told everyone in the program not to come anywhere near my poster lol. I don't think I even stood in front of my poster for more than 5 minutes. But we finally figured out why these particular cancers grew worse from our drug lol.

Reactions: 1 user