Summer Research Programs for Medical Students (Summer M1)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forsparta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know undergrads have programs like SURF ect., but are there funded programs for medical students like that? I want to do research during M1 and was wondering if such programs existed. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools have internal research scholarships/grants for the summer for their med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Care to elaborate?

There's tons of opportunities from summer grants from you school, global health grants, minority grants, specialty grants, aoa, NIH, medical/surgical societies, and other universities.

Ask one of your deans about this when you get there and they will have all the resources laid out for you. My school has a webpage listing every fellowship grant opportunity.

Bottom line, there's tons of programs/money. Just start early because for many deadlines are Dec/Jan the year before you leave. I remember I started my process in October of MS1.

There's tons of opportunities from summer grants from you school, global health grants, minority grants, specialty grants, aoa, NIH, medical/surgical societies, and other universities.

Ask one of your deans about this when you get there and they will have all the resources laid out for you. My school has a webpage listing every fellowship grant opportunity.

Bottom line, there's tons of programs/money. Just start early because for many deadlines are Dec/Jan the year before you leave. I remember I started my process in October of MS1.
+1 - tons of stuff, you just have to look for it. I too started the process for funding in the fall of MS1

Thanks for the help guys!

The only problem for me is I am attending a new school that doesn't really have this stuff figured out (so I hear); a lot of my success will be predicated on my own initiative and what I can learn from other sources (Read: SDN). That is why I was hoping there were links or something.

I googled and found some things but a lot wasnt useful...

Thanks for the help guys!

The only problem for me is I am attending a new school that doesn't really have this stuff figured out (so I hear); a lot of my success will be predicated on my own initiative and what I can learn from other sources (Read: SDN). That is why I was hoping there were links or something.

I googled and found some things but a lot wasnt useful...

In that case I would suggest you start cold emailing PIs around the country/globe (depending on what you want to do) come Sept-October. When you figure out what type of research you will be doing you can apply to specialty-specific fellowship programs. If you have the AOA research program at your school a dean will know. That one is good because the grant is big + they pay an extra 1k to present. May want to check NIH web site to see if they have anything available for you as well.

Off the top of my head I know JHU, Vanderbilt, and UTSW have paid summer research programs. I'm sure others do as well, but you'll need to check those schools individually.

Finding summer research at an institution other than your own requires a lot of leg work. Prepare to spend a bunch of time figuring this out then getting all your forms together. I easily spent 100 hours sending cold emails and researching and applying to fellowships to get my summer research spot. Bright side is if you apply to bunch (I applied to 7 fellowships and got 6) the money stacks up. I had a fully paid 2.5 month trip to Sydney for research.