Summer Research programs specifically for community college students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliGirl14

No worries.
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is really early in the year, but I was just googling for some research internship programs over the summer, and most of them require students to attend a 4 yr. institute. I do not attend one of those. Are there any internships specifically for those in community college? I've only found 2 online, and one of them is on hiatus. Am I missing something? I'm not disadvantaged or URM either. Anyone who has done one and in community college..shed some light?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you were looking at the more popular ones offered at big schools, then it could be harder for students in CC to attend.
Ask around, get referred by doctors who may know somebody in research etc.
It may not be the most renown/prestigious, but it's still research and what you do with it and learn from it counts, IMO.
I know a classmate of mine who asked around and found a doctor who was not really doing any research but was planning on doing something. They together figured out what they would research, and although the research did not lead to a publication, it did sound like a pretty cool experience where she was using the MRI, analyzing MRI data and stuff. Also I know another guy who researched with someone in Stanford. It wasn't one of those official things (where URMs usually get in); I believe he just asked around and found an independent researcher.

If you were looking at the more popular ones offered at big schools, then it could be harder for students in CC to attend.
Ask around, get referred by doctors who may know somebody in research etc.
It may not be the most renown/prestigious, but it's still research and what you do with it and learn from it counts, IMO.
I know a classmate of mine who asked around and found a doctor who was not really doing any research but was planning on doing something. They together figured out what they would research, and although the research did not lead to a publication, it did sound like a pretty cool experience where she was using the MRI, analyzing MRI data and stuff. Also I know another guy who researched with someone in Stanford. It wasn't one of those official things (where URMs usually get in); I believe he just asked around and found an independent researcher.

Thank you! I'll definitely go around and ask :) :thumbup: