Summer Research Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hallm_7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to apply to some summer research programs in the biochemistry/biomedical area this coming summer. Does anyone have any information on where I should try to go, where I should stay away from, and anything else that you think would be helpful.

If any of you have done any of these programs I would love to hear what you thought of them and any valuable info about them.

Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Try interncenter . You need a password which you can get from your college career center. It has a searchable database of internships and summer programs. Good luck in your search!

i always think the best way to go is contact a person that you would like to work with, then let them look for the funding. its more effective than getting in line for these summer programs, where half of the people are doing the aforementioned "Trick". the howard hughes medical insitute has great programs at different institutions, so does the nih (in bethesda), and there are numerous surf's (summer undergrad research fellowships) if thats your bag. i've found that internships at big pharma are great (merck [where i work], pfizer, smith-kline, bristol myers [though don't buy their stock]) because you get exposure to cutting edge equip, great scientists, and super high pay. every opportunity i've been offered has been because i've contacted a scientist personally - then gotten into a summer program that funds it (hhmi junior scholars or whatever) or even merck. but the beaten path also works. for biochem specifically i know u wisconsin-madison has one of the best grad programs in the world there, if you can deal with the area/weather. goodluck.
-jot

Members don't see this ad :)
CWRU has one, and it's in Cleveland so not that far from you. one is the SPUR (summer program for undergraduate research) run by the biology department. The other is the SURP (summer undergraduate research program) run by the Dept. of physiology and biophysics of the Med school. The SPUR program is 10 weeks long, the SURP program is 8 weeks. Do a website search to find out more info at www.cwru.edu

a lot of universities have these programs. You can check with your local school and see if they have it.

Hello Hallm_7, I participated in two of the summer research programs you are asking about. Summer after sophomore year I did the summer research program at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY. RPCI Summer Program There were about 25 students from all over the country. Since I am from Buffalo and had already been working there, I just continued my project and had a very productive, but laid-back summer. The work I did that summer got published (wound healing in the trachea). In addition to the stipend, the students from out of town had their dorm and travel expenses taken care of, and they had a number of scheduled outings and activities for everyone in the program.

Summer after junior year I was determined to get out of Buffalo by getting into a research program somewhere else. I aggressively hunted for these programs through the internet. I ended up applying to about thirty of them (that's how badly I wanted to get out of Buffalo). I got into approx half. The programs usually have some kind of name like "Summer Research Experience" or "Summer Undergraduate Research Program" or "Summer Research Fellowship" - you get the idea. I had come across a list of these programs at a Molc. & Cell Biology meeting I attended, but I soon found that you can find them by doing some internet searches.

I ended up doing the Howard Hughes Med Institute Summer Research Experience at Harvard in the Dept of Molc and Cell Bio MCB Summer Internship There were five of us in this program. Compared with the program I was in the first summer, they made us work hard core at this program. I worked from 9 till 6 or 7 every day and worked some weekends. Some of the other students went even longer b/c they chose to, I kinda wanted a life outside of lab. Although I didn't enjoy the research project as much compared to the one I did the previous summer (yeast meiosis = not exciting), I don't have any complaints. The program paid for my flight there, a huge dorm room single on the Cambridge campus, access to all of the Harvard facilities, gave a very generous stipend, paid for a bunch of lunches and local outings, and I got to spend a summer in Boston (which was a thrill for me since I have never really left Buffalo). The other program people really enjoyed their experiences as well, some of them actually liked their research.

The suggestions jot gives are true, but I have always found that if you show interest in working for someone, they will gladly take you if you work for free and will hesitate if you ask them for money. I have never even thought to ask the PI to look for funding for me, I always thought that was my job and they have more important things to do than worry about some undergrad student. That's why I didn't go that route. I applied without any "connections" and got into the summer research programs at Mayo, UCSF, UConn, Emory, Baylor, and a bunch of others I can't remember. Some of them even sent "wait list" notices - Cold Spring Harbor and Pepperdine come to mind. Other places I recall applying include NIH, South Carolina, Penn, Rockefeller, Wellseley. Spiderman is right - there are tons of these, I kept encountering more but ran out of time to apply - NYU, Mt. Sinai, Colorado .

All the programs I applied to were bio/biochem research. Some of them favor women and minorities, but that didn't stop me from applying. The deadlines are usually Feb 1, Feb 15, and March 1. Many of them want students who are looking to do a PhD, MD, MD/PhD which is probably what you want anyways. I am actually a dental student and clearly wrote about my interest in a DDS on all my applications (it wasn't even a choice on a lot of them); I don't think it hurt me at all b/c my apps showed I was serious about research (and I still am) which I think was the most important factor. In the end I made my decision to do the HHMI at Harvard based on the location (Boston!) and the perks. I would highly recommend these programs - they take care of you while you are there (stipend, dorm, etc), you get to experience research in a new location, adn you meet new people. For me, doing research in Boston was a real eye opener b/c they are way more hard-core about research and productivity there than in ANY of the labs I have encountered in Buffalo.

E-mail me if you have any other questions and if you want names of more of these programs.

More key words to get you started on your search: "REU" "UROP" "Undergraduate Research"+"Summer"

I have done two summer internships, at one now! I think they are a great experience to work with some top Ph.D's, do some good science, see the schools and the area.

I have more than enough info, you need some, im me. I am like the summer intern queen at my school. I have a file and everything, tell me the school and I will tell you the program!:clap:

Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I never expected this many responses, and your help is greatly appreciated.

I see you are from KY. I go to UK and am actually participating in a summer research program in biochemistry there right now. I think typically they dont want students who go to UK, but i know this year 2 of the 5 students in the program go to UK, and all of us go to some school in KY, although i dont think that you have to. You can PM if you want more info on this program. It has been great for me, and I think you should def. consider it for next summer. Good luck!

Baylor (BCM) in Texas has one. You should check out their website for app deadlines and such.