Summer Research question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuckMC11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i had a quick question for summer research. is it better to do like a research internship program with other undergraduates at a hospital or is it better to do your own medical research with a doctor at the same hospital instead?

thx

Members don't see this ad.

Hi i had a quick question for summer research. is it better to do like a research internship program with other undergraduates at a hospital or is it better to do your own medical research with a doctor at the same hospital instead?

thx

Well, go for which ever one you can get. If you're lucky enough to have a choice between the two, I would go for the personalized medical research. I'm only saying this, since you might be able to get a more personal relationship with your PR, which may get you a better recommendation letter when it comes time to apply. However, that is not saying you won't get a good recommendation with the group research.

Also, group research may also require less individual effort, in my opinion. If you're working with other undergrads, less may be expected of you as an individual. From my experience, research programs that target groups of undergrads generally start you off cleaning dishes, etc.

It's totally your call - in fact, I really think you'd be fine either way. Both seem like great opportunities to me.

Good luck!

thx

I'd go for the research with a doctor. Though an internship may be more experienced at accommodating undergrads, I think a personal researching experience would be a lot more rewarding. You have the benefit of not trying to compete with other undergrads for procedures, you'll probably have more responsibility which means more experience which means more exposure. It also usually means a greater contribution to your work which means if publication ever becomes an option you'll be better positioned for favorable authorship.

Members don't see this ad :)
What sounds better to you? Which would be a better experience? Which would let you experience more or different things? It's not just an application, it's an education.

alright thanks so much for the responses!