Summer research/work opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.


Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Reaction score

Thanks for reading this thread. I am a first year medical student at Imperial College in London (UK). I have 14 weeks off in the summer and I'd like to do some work/research over that time. Ideally, I'd like this work/research to contribute to my application for residencies when the time comes. I'm willing to travel anywhere for the experience. If I had to pick an area of interest it'd be infectious disease medicine -- but I'm open to all possibilities.

I'm a mature student from the US with a B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering and an M.Sc. in Control of Infectious Disease (public health). I also have work experience in engineering, biomedical research and epidemiology.

I need advice on what kind of work/research to do. I'd also like to find out what programs are available and are good for this kind of thing.

Can you please give me some advise on what to do or point me in the direction of some good summer programs or resources? I've got connections in my respective fields and I'd be happy to return the favor.

Many thanks and best wishes,

- Herm

:luck: :luck: :luck:


Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2001
Reaction score
The best thing to do is pick a few places that you'd be interested in going (ie staying at Imperial, some other UK universities, or US institutions). Look at their departments...like the infectious disease department (whether clinical or bench), and just email them. Simple email telling them what kind of experience you have, what exactly you're looking for, and what you can bring to their lab. You might not get paid a lot, but more often than not, the researcher will be interested and will point you in the direction of studentships and grants. It seems like you have good experience in bench research...I'd try for something clinical at this stage, and it's more medically related.