Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravelingDoc2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else was having trouble finding research. All of the medical school affiliated centers will take only their own students. I have looked at probably 50 programs and only came up with 5 but they are extremely competitive and have either had 1 or no DOs ever.

Any suggestions?

What else is there to do during the summer other than chilling?

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering if anyone else was having trouble finding research. All of the medical school affiliated centers will take only their own students. I have looked at probably 50 programs and only came up with 5 but they are extremely competitive and have either had 1 or no DOs ever.

Any suggestions?

What else is there to do during the summer other than chilling?

What city are you in? Try clinial research with a doctor. Also try private instituions for research.

Is it possible to start research at a DO school before you matriculate there later in the year? Or would I have to wait to be a first year before pursuing research opportunities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to start research at a DO school before you matriculate there later in the year? Or would I have to wait to be a first year before pursuing research opportunities?

If you live in the area you could perhaps contact the PIs you want to research with. Rules and policy with regards to that and the medical school probably differ across each campus.

How important is it to get research for the summer? I came from straight from undergrad and dont have any research experience other than half a semester working in a lab. I want to be able to have a well rounded residency application and so will no research experience hurt my application ?

How important is it to get research for the summer? I came from straight from undergrad and dont have any research experience other than half a semester working in a lab. I want to be able to have a well rounded residency application and so will no research experience hurt my application ?

Depends on what type of residency. Academic IM? Damn well better have some sort of research under you if you are looking at university programs that have integrated research components or requirements. Community IM where there's no real research going on? Prob not as important.

There's No specific time you need to do the research. The old pre clinical curriculum essentially made summer the best time to dedicate yourself to research to get an abstract/poster/pub out. Now with accelerated curriculums and modifications of longitudinal courses and mentorship you may find out you have time to do research as there aren't as many required classes and/or classes are pass:fail which means less time dedicating to scoring "at the top" and more time focused on your goals.

Depends on what type of residency. Academic IM? Damn well better have some sort of research under you if you are looking at university programs that have integrated research components or requirements. Community IM where there's no real research going on? Prob not as important.

There's No specific time you need to do the research. The old pre clinical curriculum essentially made summer the best time to dedicate yourself to research to get an abstract/poster/pub out. Now with accelerated curriculums and modifications of longitudinal courses and mentorship you may find out you have time to do research as there aren't as many required classes and/or classes are pass:fail which means less time dedicating to scoring "at the top" and more time focused on your goals.

My understanding is an academic residency is if you would like to work for a teaching hospital or be someone who wants to teach other med students or do research. I don't think that's the type of residency I am interested in. Can you tell me the different types of residencies there are for a specific field? I am mainly interested in IM and pediatrics currently but would like to keep my options open considering I haven't done clinical rotations yet.

My understanding is an academic residency is if you would like to work for a teaching hospital or be someone who wants to teach other med students or do research. I don't think that's the type of residency I am interested in. Can you tell me the different types of residencies there are for a specific field? I am mainly interested in IM and pediatrics currently but would like to keep my options open considering I haven't done clinical rotations yet.
I am only a first year so my knowledge is limited but @MeatTornado could correct or add to what I have below since he is in IM and knows much more about it than I do.

A teaching hospital is any hospital (academic or community) that has GME or residency programs within the inst. There are faculty that teach residents and thus confers the name. Going to an academic residency doesnt "force" you to do the things you listed above. There are primary care tracks and other tracks within IM exclusively offered in academic programs that get you to where you want to go. Im only aware of 3 main residency categories for IM which are below:

Academic University programs: University of Chicago Internal Medicine
Communiversity (a community hospital in partnership with a university health or health sciences system): NorthShore University Health System (affiliated with UChicago Medicine)
Community Programs (no affiliations): St Johns/St Lukes/Kaiser Permamnente Health System(s).

Reactions: 1 user
ok,A teaching hospital is any hospital that has GME or residency programs within the inst.
1jY6yOa

I am only a first year so my knowledge is limited but @MeatTornado could correct or add to what I have below since he is in IM and knows much more about it than I do.

A teaching hospital is any hospital (academic or community) that has GME or residency programs within the inst. There are faculty that teach residents and thus confers the name. Going to an academic residency doesnt "force" you to do the things you listed above. There are primary care tracks and other tracks within IM exclusively offered in academic programs that get you to where you want to go. Im only aware of 3 main residency categories for IM which are below:

Academic University programs: University of Chicago Internal Medicine
Communiversity (a community hospital in partnership with a university health or health sciences system): NorthShore University Health System (affiliated with UChicago Medicine)
Community Programs (no affiliations): St Johns/St Lukes/Kaiser Permamnente Health System(s).

I would be careful with the "Communiversity" category. A lot of these community programs are now being bought out by large university hospital systems but it doesn't change the teaching/experience you get or the pathology you see at these places. A great example of that is mount sinai which is buying out community hospitals all over NYC: mount sinai west (Roosevelt), mount sinai north (st. luke's), mount sinai elmhurst (elhurst hospital). On the other hand places like Hopkin's Bayview is a true "communiversity"

A University program tends to give you a better education and more thorough/broad training. You routinely get patients from community hospitals who are too sick or complicated. You also get plenty of bread and butter pathology. The research at these hospitals is also abundant in a broad range of fields. Finally teaching residents is taken more seriously and usually education is given more weight compared to service.

If your goal is to become a hospitalist at a community hospital or a primary care doctor who isn't involved in academics then a community hospital is a fine choice. However if you want to go on to fellowship, have a research career, be involved in academics, be a leader in your field, be an administrator, work in industry then you're better off going to a university program.

Reactions: 3 users
If your goal is to become a hospitalist at a community hospital or a primary care doctor who isn't involved in academics then a community hospital is a fine choice. However if you want to go on to fellowship, have a research career, be involved in academics, be a leader in your field, be an administrator, work in industry then you're better off going to a university program.
Is there a compiled list (or something) of all the IM university programs? How you rank them from top tier to low tier?

Is there a compiled list (or something) of all the IM university programs? How you rank them from top tier to low tier?

No. Go browse the IM forum and you'll find at least a couple of recent threads about the topic and many different opinions, including mine. In general we all tend to agree on the best of the best programs (whether you want to call them "elite" or "top tier") but beyond that it gets somewhat contentious.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If you go on FREIDA, you can use the keyword box to "university" or "community" or even "university affiliated." However, take it with a grain of salt as this data is self reported.

I have a side question: I have loads of bio-medical basic science research from undergrad and over a year of full-time research after obtaining my B.S. I already have my name on one publication and will have a few more before I start school this Fall. Should I be worrying about research during medical school or will my prior research suffice? I'm really only interested in primary care, maybe general surgery at the most. Thanks in advance!

I have a side question: I have loads of bio-medical basic science research from undergrad and over a year of full-time research after obtaining my B.S. I already have my name on one publication and will have a few more before I start school this Fall. Should I be worrying about research during medical school or will my prior research suffice? I'm really only interested in primary care, maybe general surgery at the most. Thanks in advance!

For community IM, lower tier university IM or primary care track, or FM no need to do more.
In general programs who value research want to see that you've continued doing scholarly work during med school so you can't just bank on what you've done in the past

For community IM, lower tier university IM or primary care track, or FM no need to do more.
In general programs who value research want to see that you've continued doing scholarly work during med school so you can't just bank on what you've done in the past
Great! I think I'll try to do something a little more interesting with my summers. Thank you for your input.

Paid summer research positions are definitely hard to get. I would focus on residencies and hospitals not tightly affiliated to any medical schools.