Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiDoc88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to doing research at your own medical school vs doing it somewhere else (i.e. a different institution at a different city)? What about doing a research program vs just finding a PI yourself and setting something up with them?

Members don't see this ad.

tn03D.jpg

I would also like to know the answer to this question...

Probably easier to do it at your own institution cos whoever you ask could hook you up with one of their peers if they dont have a spot for you. Other than that, theres no advantage either way as long as theres an open spot, it pays and theres a good chance of some meaningful results at the end of the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking at doing it at a different school (in my hometown instead of where I am at school)... I think the benefit for me is making connections in the field I want to go into- I am researching with an MD and will get to do clinical stuff as well as research in the lab. I am looking at this school/hospital for residency so to get the connection now then to do the 4th year rotation would be ideal for getting favor for residency.

Is there any advantage to doing research at your own medical school vs doing it somewhere else (i.e. a different institution at a different city)? What about doing a research program vs just finding a PI yourself and setting something up with them?
It's probably easier to set up at your own institution, easier to find a positive mentor at your institution, you could extend your project as you have time in MS2-MS4, and there's less hassle with moving.

The advantage of doing research away is that you'd meet a new set of people and a new campus, maybe explore where you'd like to do residency.

Doing a research program has several advantages over arranging your own experience. There are generally some didactic component, there's a formalized curriculum, there's a name/rep associated with it, and there's support staff. Support staff is important when you're not getting along with your mentor or you're somehow not getting what you want out of the program. That's when you can talk to the program director and get help.

Doing it yourself might give you more freedom in arranging who you work with, but funding becomes and issue (and as a med student, unless you're working ~2 hrs a week or less, you should get paid).

Does the name of a summer research program look more impressive than perhaps just doing research at your own medical school?

Like most things, it depends. If you go to Hopkins or Harvard, probably not. Beyond that, the most prestigious summer programs might be a nice thing on your resume but unless you go to school in the same city it'd be hard to continue that research longitudinally.