Summer research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamwowzer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've seen on the forums that having published research makes applicants stand out when applying to residencies. Earlier today I was offered a spot in a lab for the summer studying west nile virus with a strong chance of publishing if I desired. Would this help in any way for my future chances at residencies or is it something that would be negligible since it isn't clinical or in the particular field?

I guess I'm trying to decide whether I want to work less this summer, get paid and enjoy myself or if I should bust ***** trying to get data that can be published.

I will be starting med school in the fall.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

If the only reason that would work in the lab is to "get data that can be published," then by all means do something else over the summer. There is never a guarantee that you will get a publication out of the work, no matter what the PI says. Either way, a summer of research tells program directors (at residencies that require some scholarly component) that an applicant is interested in research and may have developed some very basic skills. These PD's also realize what kind of contribution is even possible during a brief 10 week stint in a lab (next to nothing), so they absolutely won't be using the presence of a publication to judge the value of a research experience. Of course publications look nice and help in some ways, but if that is ALL that you are looking for then you might as well just hit the beach.

Oh jeez, I just realized that you haven't even started medical school! What is wrong with you people? Well, I guess if this lab is someplace that you could possibly work in over next summer as well, then it would be worth looking into. Otherwise...UNDERGRAD RESEARCH DOES NOT MATTER FOR RESIDENCY.

Hey everyone, I've seen on the forums that having published research makes applicants stand out when applying to residencies. Earlier today I was offered a spot in a lab for the summer studying west nile virus with a strong chance of publishing if I desired. Would this help in any way for my future chances at residencies or is it something that would be negligible since it isn't clinical or in the particular field?

I guess I'm trying to decide whether I want to work less this summer, get paid and enjoy myself or if I should bust ***** trying to get data that can be published.

I will be starting med school in the fall.

Spend your summer at the beach or doing something you enjoy. Seriously consider what you are getting yourself into. You are about to go 260-300K in debt not including your undergrad expenses. If I had to do it all over again I would work for the park service and ride my bike to work. Medicine is not worth it.....forget what you watch on TV about it (not trying to be insulting but seriously we glorify the medical profession in this country)

Thanks for your input, fellas.