Summer Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start a project with another student at Northwestern involving cardiac stem cells and the P.I. said we could get a paper published and I would be co-author.

I'm not sure I want to pursue cardiology, but I thought it would be a good learning experience/pad my resume. I wanted to make sure do most student not get paid for something like this? Is it worth it to get a publication?

Members don't see this ad.

Publications are worth free labor. Just as long as the PI isn't stringing you along.

I'm about to start a project with another student at Northwestern involving cardiac stem cells and the P.I. said we could get a paper published and I would be co-author.

I'm not sure I want to pursue cardiology, but I thought it would be a good learning experience/pad my resume. I wanted to make sure do most student not get paid for something like this? Is it worth it to get a publication?
Also, something I wish someone had told me: being first author matters. Being second author matters. After that all the authorships are worth the same (with the exception of senior author of course). The PI should let you know which authorship you will have and you should ask him directly if a publication will be possible in these 3 short months. For a basic science paper, that would be an extremely quick turnaround.

Normally, these things are paid, but if your PI doesn't have the money and you really want to do it and don't need the funding, then go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what should my goals be for this summer? To get a publication? Because I'm working with a grad student and we have an outline for a project but I want to make it a worthwhile summer to get some experience and make it good enough to put on my CV.

So what should my goals be for this summer? To get a publication? Because I'm working with a grad student and we have an outline for a project but I want to make it a worthwhile summer to get some experience and make it good enough to put on my CV.

If you're signature is true and you don't start school for another 2.5 months--don't bother.

well usually the summer after your first year people do research, but I was planning on doing a medical mission trip then so I wanted to do research this summer

Yes, publication is your only goal here.

You're barely a medical student. You likely don't know how to run a project, or do the wet lab work yet. Your job is to stay in constant contact with the PI/grad student and do everything they tell you to as quickly and efficiently as possible.

This is justifiable slave labor because otherwise you're dead weight. They're training you to do everything. As a med student fellowship options are available but they have to be applied for several months in advance.

Whether you do cardiology or not I think it WILL be a great learning experience. Especially if you have the time to do it this summer.

I agree with Valadi as far as listening to the grad student. do what he/she says and soak up as much information as you can! It will only help you in the future.

Good luck!

If you don't have previous relevant skills or experience, that sounds about par.

I wouldn't say most people don't get paid. Most people get paid what they're worth. After you get experience/skills, you should have an idea of what you're worth for future projects.

Whether you do cardiology or not I think it WILL be a great learning experience. Especially if you have the time to do it this summer.

I agree with Valadi as far as listening to the grad student. do what he/she says and soak up as much information as you can! It will only help you in the future.

Good luck!

Would add the caveat to this that your only goal should not be to just soak up information to help you in the future.

Most people wind up in private practice, and you likely will as well. Your goal should be publishing, and research experience will come while you work toward that goal. I specifically say do what they want as quickly and efficiently as possible because you want to look like a rockstar. Someone they will go to bat for come research letters and will unhesitatingly put on the paper, because your contributions were obvious and they like you.

Thanks all for the input. I do have past research experience and getting a publication/LOR is the goal:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if it's worth it....I mean so far all I've been doing is counting cells and pretty much just shadowing others as they do experiments....The researcher I'm working for said if it get's published, I would get co-authorship...I mean is that even worth writing CV/residency applications if I didn't really get to do anything except watch...?

I don't know if it's worth it....I mean so far all I've been doing is counting cells and pretty much just shadowing others as they do experiments....The researcher I'm working for said if it get's published, I would get co-authorship...I mean is that even worth writing CV/residency applications if I didn't really get to do anything except watch...?

Yes.

Build dat CV. HUSTLIN'!

Yes.

Build dat CV. HUSTLIN'!

Med school is such a farce sometimes.

People engaging in activities without interest to put on their CV. Then embellishing activities to move up the ladder.

:thumbdown:

Med school is such a farce sometimes.

People engaging in activities without interest to put on their CV. Then embellishing activities to move up the ladder.

:thumbdown:

Do tell, Jack...

Are you that naive that you think human nature and the real world would suddenly not apply within the cherished/holy halls of medical school?

...Or do you just state the obvious in a judgmental manner on a routine basis?

PS: let me guess, you also volunteered at the hospital as a pre-med out of pure altruism, right? Don't answer that.

How important is doing something on that first summer break? I'm sick of research after 8 years of it, I'm not into volunteering for the hell of it and brown babies in the 3rd world can go **** themselves. I'd rather just chill out but I still want to get into a competitive residency although I don't know what field. At the moment I'm leaning towards IM but that could change.

How important is doing something on that first summer break? I'm sick of research after 8 years of it, I'm not into volunteering for the hell of it and brown babies in the 3rd world can go **** themselves. I'd rather just chill out but I still want to get into a competitive residency although I don't know what field. At the moment I'm leaning towards IM but that could change.

Your honesty is a thing of beauty. :)

Do tell, Jack...

Are you that naive that you think human nature and the real world would suddenly not apply within the cherished/holy halls of medical school?

...Or do you just state the obvious in a judgmental manner on a routine basis?

PS: let me guess, you also volunteered at the hospital as a pre-med out of pure altruism, right? Don't answer that.

I don't claim to be perfect or without fault. I used to do that stuff. I made a decision to not do it anymore. I'm sure I will miss out on some opportunities, but I don't want to play dress up anymore. I'd rather focus on becoming a good doctor and doing things that interest me.

My post was out of line, I have no right to judge anyone's actions. Unfortunately, I constantly hear my classmates talking about getting published while "doing hardly anything" or doing projects they have no interest in to advance their careers. It's so phony.

I don't claim to be perfect or without fault. I used to do that stuff. I made a decision to not do it anymore. I'm sure I will miss out on some opportunities, but I don't want to play dress up anymore. I'd rather focus on becoming a good doctor and doing things that interest me.

My post was out of line, I have no right to judge anyone's actions. I constantly hear my classmates talking about getting published while "doing hardly anything" or doing projects they have no interest in to advance their careers. It's so phony.

Damn you, Jack. You weren't supposed to say that.

My sentiment exactly.

I love you, by the way.

I decided to continue it because after all I have nothing better to do than sit around and do nothing so might as well learn something and pad the CV

Also, something I wish someone had told me: being first author matters. Being second author matters. After that all the authorships are worth the same (with the exception of senior author of course). The PI should let you know which authorship you will have and you should ask him directly if a publication will be possible in these 3 short months. For a basic science paper, that would be an extremely quick turnaround.

Normally, these things are paid, but if your PI doesn't have the money and you really want to do it and don't need the funding, then go for it.

Yup.